Are their any In Flames fans...

I'm still sticking with this: Clayman is not a commercial album (IMHO atleast)...
Clayman is In Flames at it's best. Bullet Ride still gives me huge shivers every single time I hear it. (Well so do Stand Ablaze, Lord Hypnos, Episode 666, Colony, Cloud Connected and My Sweet Shadow to name a few). Every album has some great songs but in my opinion Clayman as an album is the best entity In Flames has ever released...

Clayman was good, but it reminds me more of iced tea with too much sugar in it. The first albums were pure unsweetened tea, still highly enjoyable, and healthy as well. Whoracle and Colony were two and three packets, respectively, and Clayman's like BRISK with a couple extra packets...unless you're in the mood, it's just too fucking sweet. That was the best analogy I could come up with. The melodies and riffs are just a tad stale, though still enjoyable.

R2R and STYE are like iced tea after a diseased camel has come along and ejaculated a full load into each glass. Except STYE has no sugar, either.

ubiquitos said:
I think if ur gunna create music with lots of synthesizers in them hire a keyboardist or at least a touring keyboardist

yeah I agree. I think that everything that's used in several songs should be played live in a live environment. When theres a bunch of background noise to every song played by no-one it almost becomes like playback, and that's heading into dangerous territory.

.Scissors. said:
I like In Flames new stuff, but not nearly as much as their old. It's almost like two completely different bands.

Very true. I was listening to the Jester Race a few days ago and threw on STYE right after for kicks, and both incarnations of IF have no resemblence.

Jabi said:
They're more or less the same song, except that one of them is a simplified version of the other, and hasn't got a good solo but annoyingly repetitive nu-metal riffing and shitty lyrics instead. Guess which one. :p
Like You Better Dead has sweet lyrics...the chorus is one of their best.

There was a certain drive and atmosphere that the older stuff posessed. All of that is gone by replacing guitar melodies with keyboards. I like keyboards but they make it sound generic. There is no hiding the fact they are making their music more accessible now, there is no mystery, drive, atmosphere or emotion left for IF.

Hatebreed said:
83948573920484 Bands do that, why do In Flames get hunted and called N*Sync number 2?.

And all that you mentioned is subjective.
Because they started out raising a high bar, and thereby high expectations. They had no reasons for mudding up their music.

The synths were not subjective. And only deaf people would acually enjoy Anders's clean singing 'abilities.'

Anyways, I guess I'm just tired of defending the band's newest album. I decided waiting for the sharks to get bored would give me a fair chance to tear the album apart on my own 'after the fact.'

I've defended STYE and Anders's bullshit for too long.

Hatebreed said:
I'd argue that Skyfire over uses the synth. It's pretty much all you hear.

I like Skyfire of course, but the songs drag on to long and don't feature much variety.

Upon first listen i might agree somewhat, but beyond that no way in hell do they not have variety.

anonymousnick2001 said:
Because they started out raising a high bar, and thereby high expectations. They had no reasons for mudding up their music.

The synths were not subjective. And only deaf people would acually enjoy Anders's clean singing 'abilities.'

Anyways, I guess I'm just tired of defending the band's newest album. I decided waiting for the sharks to get bored would give me a fair chance to tear the album apart on my own 'after the fact.'

Agreed, perhaps it's time to leave In Flames to the mallcore masses.

anonymousnick2001 said:

Meh. I like their new stuff, just not nearly as much as the classics(for me from Subterranean - Colony). Sure its far more accessable then the older stuff(except maybe StYE compared to Reroute) but as long as they have evolved in a way that suits them, and they still enjoy playing heavy music more power to them. Personally, the band would probably do much better with a different vocalist, but im not in the band so my opinion means fuck all to them, and i have to respect them for that even if they turned into a 5 man pop vocalist group, well maybe not then, but you get my point.