Are there any good bands out there that sound like Pantera?

Jul 5, 2009
I just pulled out far beyond driven today, which I haven't listened to for a couple of years, and realized that I have enjoyed that cd since it first came out about twenty years ago. Sounds stupid to say since they are as well known as about any metal band, but I forgot how good they are.
The only band that I've heard that sounds quite like Pantera is Exhorder. Are there any other good ones out there?

I might get some flak here for comparing them to Pantera, but Acid Bath is great and shares some qualities with Pantera. Listen to When the Kite String Pops.

I never really though of acid bath that way, but I've only listened to ...kite string...a couple of times.
Figured it was a long shot since most of Phil Anselmos work outside of Pantera and Down is underwhelming. And Damageplan kind of sucks too. Maybe Panteras greatness only extended for three albums and there aren't many good imitators. If some say that they are ripoffs of Exhorder, I don't care because they ripped it off quite well.

Early Machine Head (the first two albums) are like a heavier, darker version of Pantera. Just straight up heavy metal with raw vocals, groove, good riffs. Again, a little darker than anything Pantera did (IMO).

I had an old Machine Head cassette tape and threw it out with all of my other tapes a couple months ago. Haven't heard them in awhile and might give them another listen.
Yoda-elitist metalhead humor isnt all that funny no matter how hard you try. I expected comments like that since so much of the discussion on this forum is on obscure bands. But if something is well known and good, I have no shame in liking it or discussing it.

I never got why they're considered the epitome of southern metal, everything I've heard save for masterpieces like Cemetery Gates has just been generic metal with occasional redneck lyrics. Maybe my interest in desert rock makes of me a snob.

Reactions: Dak

Yeah Exhorder is alright. I don't agree with some of the reviews that said Exhorder is better-they may have been more original, but Pantera puts better tracks together IMO

When checking out Stone Dozer, I noticed a mention of Dearly Beheaded. I checked them out once and will check them out again...Gay name, but any other thoughts on that band?

Many people used to mention Lamb of God as the similar sound to Pantera. I don't know how much truth is that, but you can still give them a listen.

I never got why they're considered the epitome of southern metal, everything I've heard save for masterpieces like Cemetery Gates has just been generic metal with occasional redneck lyrics. Maybe my interest in desert rock makes of me a snob.

Generic metal? They were the first big groove metal band. Blah blah they copied Exhorder, but no one gave a fuck about Exhorder. Pantera carved that niche and bands are still copying them today. Desert/space rock is about the most boring shit in the world btw.

And no, i dont even like Pantera.