Are you a closet Christian or [insert any other religion]?

When the wife and I got married, we wanted a judge to perform our marriage ceremony. However, in order to appease our parents, we had a quasi religious ceremony. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't be so appeasing.

Today, I don't do anything that follows any religion or runs counter to it. While I consider myself an atheist, I'm amused by people who try to live their lives in opposition to Christianity. While the people who practice the religion, by and large, are hypocritical sheep, many of the teachings attributed to Christ have value.

Zod

@jaykeeley: yeah, i find all that stuff odd. i dont personally know anyone who's done this though. i *do* know people who claim to be christian and go to church occasionally but don't bother to live out the lifestyle.

however, i go to church quite regularly because my wife is a christian and she likes me to go with her. but im an agnostic. so, maybe i'm like the people you're describing?

Erik said:
Believe me if they tried to bury me in a christian ceremony I would come back from the grave to haunt them endlessly by creaking their stairs and blowing out their candles

Same here, i don't want any sort of religous crap at all, bible verses etc.
I'd like to be cremated with maybe some funeral doom played at the funeral, quite fitting i think.

If I ever get married its not going to be in a church, none of my family is religous no one goes to church that i know of anyway. My sister is a hippy and plans to get married in the forest i think. lol

if i'm not cremated upon death i'm coming back to haunt my loved ones.

i wouldn't care about getting married in a church if my wife wanted to, but only if it was strictly ceremonial and didn't tie me to the bullshit in any sort of way. it's not like getting babtized, is it? i mean they wouldn't try chucking holy water in my grill, would they?

then again i find it pretty unlikely that i'll ever marry a christian chick, so there you go.

My parents were married by a Justice of the Peace in their trailer. hahahaha

Man, my mom met my dad because she was his secretary or something years and years ago. The whole thing is a big WTF to me, but hey, I'm here because of it and thusly I WILL TORMENT YOU WITH MY POINTLESS AND ANNOYING ANECDOTES. HA HA HA HA HA

my mom told me not long ago she sorta regretted not having me baptized, and all i could say was "THANK GOD!!!" *rimshot*

technically she's christian, but she has the same problems that i do with christians, and fully admits that no, we don't know what really is out there. so i guess we're in the same boat, just she believes that yes there is a God, and i don't. nice story thanks for sharing. :tickled:

but the thing that really weirds me out, is that she was his secretary. That's kinky and I don't want to think about it, but it's the TRUTH asdoafjgihajrhb0a8ra0a

Iconoclastic Tendencies said:
Depending on your family you may not have a choice as to wear the wedding/funeral is held. Those events are for your family (read: mothers) more than they are for the person/persons.

That's an interesting take on things, especially where the wedding is concerned. I've always seen it as the opposite and I wouldn't mind at all if there was no one there except myself, my bride-to-be and whoever has to make it legal. I want a "Braveheart" wedding if you will, that just seems like a beautiful thing. I've always figured that when I get married, it will be because I love this girl more than anything that has ever existed and because of that, that it would be a very emotional, personal and spiritual experience.

I don't want to be married by a Priest, because it doesn't fit into my beliefs, a simple government official would do and I've always thought I'd like to have both my wedding and funeral at night, either by candlelight or the light of a full moon. In the forest, perhaps by a lake, and yes, when I die, I expect to be sent out into the water on a raft of combustibles and shot with a flaming arrow.:D That's just me, I want things to be majestic and real. I'm a romantic and I've never looked at anything, especially women, the way that other men do. I look for an emotional and spiritual connection more than a physical connection, I look for someone to marry, not to fuck and I fully expect to find someone who is my other half, my best friend and everything else. Yes, a physical connection and a great sex life ties into all of this, but it's not a determining factor like finding a true soulmate is.

Also, my take on spirituality has nothing to do with religion. I follow no religion, because spirituality to me is a feeling more than anything. The feeling I get from looking out and seeing the snow and mist on the mountains and breathing the cool, cold air gives me an intoxicating spiritual high and I believe that is true spirituality, it's all about feeling, nothing else. This life is too amazing to waste worrying about the "next one." If you can't find humor, happiness and peace in everyday life, then you're failing where it counts. I feel a true connection to the earth and everything around me and that's what really matters in my book.

I'm a man of ideals and I follow them. You won't ever see me in a church, you won't see me married by a priest and you won't see me buried under a cross. Those aren't my beliefs and a man without something to believe has exactly that, nothing.[/rambling]:wave:

yeah, christian. only fags hide behind closets.

I was married in a gazebo overlooking a lake by a dude my wife hired from some bride-to-be convention.

i don't attend church because I find many of them to be non-taxed corporations and it makes me sick. i'd like to know where your 10% tithe-for-the-Lord really goes.

i hold christian beliefs and i'm metal as fuck.

The wife and I were married by a Justice of the Peace, in Bostonion mansion grounds, outdoors on a summer's day, 4 string quartet, tuxedos galore, bridesmaids in flowers, etc etc. Not one mention of religion or "God".

I'm not sure which way to go though: (a) cremated and then ashes scattered in a stream, or (b) buying a plot of land, buried there, with a tree planted in the ground above us, with the roots to consume us. Who knows....but sooner or later, we need to draft a will and testament.

JayKeeley said:
I'm not sure which way to go though: (a) cremated and then ashes scattered in a stream, or (b) buying a plot of land, buried there, with a tree planted in the ground above us, with the roots to consume us. Who knows....but sooner or later, we need to draft a will and testament.
I'm not sure how I want to be buried either. Regardless of which way you go, you should get the will done ASAP.

Zod