Are you guys looking forward to the new Slayer album?

Pitiless Wanderer

Jun 14, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
I am, only because I'm curious to see what they will sound like with Dave back.

Ari Bendersky of The Associated Press recently conducted a short interview with SLAYER guitarist Kerry King. Read on:

AP: Since the new record isn't done yet, tell me about the new music — what's the lyrical content?

KK: "It's pretty much SLAYER '06. There's war songs, religious songs, satanic songs — it's what you'd expect the next chapter of SLAYER's life to be."

AP: This is the first album you're doing as the original lineup since 1990. How are things different now?

KK: "Everybody has grown up. Whatever childhood issues we had is water under the bridge. I think we're better because we separated. I think we probably would've killed each other. Now it's like, you go on and be SLAYER like we're supposed to be."

AP: SLAYER has had its share of controversy over the years with some people accusing the band of being Nazi sympathizers and white supremacists.

KK: "I think that's another case where people are taking on a position without getting all the facts. When people called us Nazis, we have a Chilean guy singing the lyrics. People make an opinion before they're completely informed. It's never a fair fight that way. They think that's how something is and you can't argue with irrationality."

AP: What's life like on the road for you now?

KK: "Pretty much the same as it ever was. This is our tour in a nutshell: we soundcheck, sleep until 3, play and stay up all night watching movies."

AP: So it's really not as exciting as your fans might expect it to be?

KK: "Nah. We learned the more things you break the more things you pay for. I like my money a lot more than paying for (stuff) we broke."

SLAYER's still-untitled follow-up to "God Hates Us All", which was released on Sept. 11, 2001, is due July 25 via American Recordings. For the project, the group reteamed with longtime collaborator Rick Rubin to executive produce their first new album with their four original members since 1990's "Seasons in the Abyss".

SLAYER will preview their first album in five years with an EP exclusively available at Hot Topic stores. The album will include "Cult", the lone new song the band plans to play live on the upcoming Unholy Alliance Tour.

I am only hoping they return to good thrash drumming... and remove the focus on the double bass. Sounds more like death metal then thrash.

Seeing as how Kerry King has said before its a continuation of God Hates Us All, not really. Its not like Lombardo is going to magically make them write better stuff than their last two albums.

With Lombardo back, i expect it to be slightly more old-school/classic slayer than GHUA or DIM and slightly more sophisticated in terms of song structure. Lombardo, I think, is one of those guys that brings out the best in his bandmates because (1) he's so fucking good that the songwriting process, as a whole, flows smoother and good ideas tend to get fleshed out instead of forgotten, and (2) he can make an average groove/riff rock harder than it would otherwise have any right to.

It should be worth a listen, if not a purchase, and will likely have 2 or 3 very strong tracks.

Now, may we have some new Testament, puhleeze!

Edit: BTW, the new Metallica will be GREAT! believe it!

Right. I had alot of faith in Metallica when they were writing Stank Anger. EVerything they used to describe the CD made me shit myself, then it came out... I've never felt like a band has betrayed me that much before. Sure, I'm lookin forward to the new Metallica. Sure, I hope they will be better. Will I buy the CD? Fuck no. Not until:

1. They play their old songs properly
2. James gets voice training

As for the new Slayer, yeah I'm looking forward to it. Do I think it will be as good as Seasons? No. It will be impossible. I just hope that Tom's vocals are better (were they ever good to begin with?) And Kerry learns to solo (hah).

Will Bozarth said:
Right. I had alot of faith in Metallica when they were writing Stank Anger. EVerything they used to describe the CD made me shit myself, then it came out... I've never felt like a band has betrayed me that much before. Sure, I'm lookin forward to the new Metallica. Sure, I hope they will be better. Will I buy the CD? Fuck no. Not until:

1. They play their old songs properly
2. James gets voice training

As for the new Slayer, yeah I'm looking forward to it. Do I think it will be as good as Seasons? No. It will be impossible. I just hope that Tom's vocals are better (were they ever good to begin with?) And Kerry learns to solo (hah).

Will, I am a Newb here. I am sorry I have to be the one who tells you this but...St. Anger is absolutely brilliant. It is easily the most unique major rock release of our lifetime and it rules! It's heavy as fuck, completely anti-radio, and not the least bit reminiscent of anything before or since. It's almost as if they did it to "thin the herd" and trim away a couple of million people/fans they didn't need. That's Balls!

Metallica rules...always has/always will! (except for that Bob Segar cover)

I whole heartedly disagree. I thought St Anger was a very, very poor album. I think Metallica have lost the balls that once made them such a great band.

derek said:
I whole heartedly disagree. I thought St Anger was a very, very poor album. I think Metallica have lost the balls that once made them such a great band.

The only legit criticism of St Anger is the lack of guitar solos, or even higher- register melodic fills, that bogs things down at times. That was by design though, as the album is supposed to sound like a raw demo. As such, it's perfect for playing along to, if you're a guitarist.

If you bought the disc it came with a DVD of them w/Trujillo playing the album live, in studio, start to finish...AND. IT. RULES.

NeonBlack69 said:
Will, I am a Newb here. I am sorry I have to be the one who tells you this but...St. Anger is absolutely brilliant. It is easily the most unique major rock release of our lifetime and it rules! It's heavy as fuck, completely anti-radio, and not the least bit reminiscent of anything before or since. It's almost as if they did it to "thin the herd" and trim away a couple of million people/fans they didn't need. That's Balls!

St Anger is in no way brilliant, unique, anti-radio, or "ballsy". I am sorry I have to be the one who tells you this, but it is the biggest piece of shit to be released in the past 6 years. I'd take God Hates Us All, Reroute to Remain, or Iowa over St Anger. That album has disgraced the good name of Metallica, and it will take a whole hell of alot of talent to help patch the wounds that they left.

It is VERY reminiscent of Korn and Linkin Park. It is also very reminiscent of lyrics that a mentally retarded third grader could scribble down with a broken white crayon.

NeonBlack69 said:
If you bought the disc it came with a DVD of them w/Trujillo playing the album live, in studio, start to finish...AND. IT. RULES.

I honestly sat down and tried to give it a chance. I sat down with a piece of paper and a pen and I wrote down everything I did not like and DID like about it. I wrote down ALOT of shit that I did NOT like. By the 3rd to the last track, I fell asleep because I was bored.

NeonBlack69 said:
The only legit criticism of St Anger is the lack of guitar solos, or even higher- register melodic fills, that bogs things down at times. That was by design though, as the album is supposed to sound like a raw demo. As such, it's perfect for playing along to, if you're a guitarist.

That's mildly insane. "Only legit" criticism? I believe it's a huge disappointment. I think it's a sad new low for a band that once topped the world. Their supposed honesty and back to basic approach, for me, yielded nothing but half-baked ideas and childlike honesty. It was a poor album, and remains one of the biggest musical disappointments in recent years.

Sure, you can disagree...but don't take a pig-headed attitude and pretend like we cannot dislike the album on any solid grounds.

Will Bozarth said:
St Anger is in no way brilliant, unique, anti-radio, or "ballsy". I am sorry I have to be the one who tells you this, but it is the biggest piece of shit to be released in the past 6 years. I'd take God Hates Us All, Reroute to Remain, or Iowa over St Anger. That album has disgraced the good name of Metallica, and it will take a whole hell of alot of talent to help patch the wounds that they left.

It is VERY reminiscent of Korn and Linkin Park. It is also very reminiscent of lyrics that a mentally retarded third grader could scribble down with a broken white crayon.

We will have to agree to disagree on this. Such is the nature of Metallica...they inspire strong opinions! However, comparing SA to Linkin Park just undermines your credibility...you know that's not even remotely true! Unless, of course, you haven't actually listened to SA. You have actually sat down and listened to it right?

NeonBlack69 said:

Metallica rules...always has/always will! (except for that Bob Segar cover)

YOU ARE THE ONLY PERSON IN THE WORLD THAT THINKS THIS IS TRUE.