Band members' jobs

Magrathean

worldbuilder
Oct 14, 2005
Faculty of Science
s1.zetaboards.com
I recall reading in an interview about every Tranquillity band member having another "real" job besides the band and DT being kind of a side project (which they've obviously put a lot of time and effort into). I was wondering if anyone knows what those "real" jobs are.

(How does Niklas find the time to mod this forum, play in DT and in Laethora, run his Cabin Fever Media thing and have a job?)

Taliesin: True, so true, i totally forgot about her. My apologies.

rahvin: Yes, i know you also moderate DT@UM. But the time devoted to Niklas's girlfriend makes up for the time saved thanks to you. ;) (I meant that in a nice, teasing way.)

La Rocque: I'm not trying to build up gossip here, i'm just saying that i read in an interview that they (the band members, not the band as a whole; i know the band's job is to make music (duh)) had jobs besides the band (i.e. a band member said it in an interview, so they obviously don't want to keep it private).

UndoControl said:
rahvin: Yes, i know you also moderate DT@UM. But the time devoted to Niklas's girlfriend makes up for the time saved thanks to you. ;) (I meant that in a nice, teasing way.)

let's say that i take care of all things that do not require hard decisions. a controversial ban, or meaningful changes to the rules, are discussed with niklas.

so to dedicate more time to my girlfriend, i should find someone to play world of warcraft for me. :cool:

UndoControl said:
La Rocque: I'm not trying to build up gossip here, i'm just saying that i read in an interview that they (the band members, not the band as a whole; i know the band's job is to make music (duh)) had jobs besides the band (i.e. a band member said it in an interview, so they obviously don't want to keep it private).
me too, i think it's not a gossip, otherwise EVERYTHING is a gossip, also the pictures and the video and ALL the interviews. And then what's the meaning of a website and a forum? To just listen to DT you don't need to come here.
Anyway if I go back in memories i remember an interview in which Nik or Mik said that Martin B. were a chef, Mik himself worked with children or disables and also Martin H. did. BUT I'M NOT SURE...and it's a long time ago interview in italian mag... and btw what i remember clearly was that he was saying that in Sweden it's easy having a "side" work and that swedish government helps musicians a lot (with fundings and stuff).

And btw also Jesper Stromblad says on a web interview (sorry I can't remember the link) that Swedish government encouraged the musical education and many bands bought their instruments with the help of gov. funds.
wow everytime i read about this i stand astonished... In italy the gov. doesn't help you to have anything...:erk:

Are you choosing career or smth?

And, btw, just if you kept attention:

akilles_micke.jpg

as dafne mentioned it, I also red that mikael works with children or is socialworker. and niklas has a job beside cabinfevermedia, something with computers.
anyway their main job is their great band so I dont really care about the rest

Exactly. I respect DT for choosing decent music over tons of cash (i also respect them for other things, but that's not the point). When your art isn't aimed towards the majority of masses, you're not as rich as most people would think.

Besides, imagine if they were only dedicated to music and they saw each other all the time. There's a thread about when/why will DT probably come to an end, and someone said that they've probably lasted this long (16 years as of yet) in part because it's not like they spend their whole time together and get tired/bored of each other (if i recall correctly). So they must have other stuff to do when they're not dedicating their time to music or beer. ;)

Iced Guardian said:
i am surprised that they still have to work though

according to lost of interviews with DT and other metal bands i´ve red in the last years you are totally wrong with your surprising thoughts.
to live from music you need to sell alot of reocrds and most (metal)bands dont do that. system of a down, metallica, slayer, korn, linkin park(well metalbands :tickled: ) can live from their albums sales but bands in the style and acquaitance of DT will never be able to do this. sad but true.to live from music you need to sell a lot or to tour the whole year like In Flames do. thats why they just have music as their only job now and tour the whole year(IF not DT:yell: ). because of their tours. DT tour perhaps all 2 years for 2 or 3 months. thats not enough money to live until the next tour.their sales increase with each album and year(their 16th in their career)but thats not enough to live.
perhaps niklas can tell us some words about the DT-career, would be interesting:worship: . I might be wrong but I dont think so that the DT-Guys can live a nice rockstar life:erk: