Bands that have sold out?

I downloaded a couple of Bodom songs once...... they got deleted. I felt their entire "vocal" approach was a total sell out due to the fact that they were grumbling into the microphone like every other current "metal" band, because its the latest coolest thing to do, which in my book is a total sellout to musical integrity.

"damn dude! why do you always have to turn the tables and put a twist into everything"

"cause Im an ass hole" :heh:

I'm sorry, this is just stupid. Like it or not, growled/harsh vocals have been a legitimate part of the metal genre since the 80s. Its like saying a band has no integrity because the drummer uses blastbeats and blastbeats are "trendy" or something to that effect.

I downloaded a couple of Bodom songs once...... they got deleted. I felt their entire "vocal" approach was a total sell out due to the fact that they were grumbling into the microphone like every other current "metal" band, because its the latest coolest thing to do, which in my book is a total sellout to musical integrity.:
I'm with Matt. First of all, growling has been in metal for a LONG time. Also, Bodom's been around since the 90s, and the singing style has been pretty much the same the whole time.

not stupid, but an honest opinion, note that I said "in my book is a total sellout to musical integrity" While I'll grant you harsh vocals were part of one style of metal in the 80's, it was far from the extreme of today, which IS a trend as well as seeming to be a prerequisite. Any trend or meeting of a prerequisite could be viewed as a sell out by the same standards of all the mapped out structures of a pop song. Im in total agreement with your edit at the bottom of your first post made today, it was in agreement to what I was trying to express. I dont want to turn this into a debate about how I feel about some of the vocal styles, thats carved in stone and cost me the ability to listen to some other wise great music, so see it as my loss. I probably could have found other examples... your blast beat example was a good one. They do get kind of dry after awhile and at times seem to be done for purposes other than musical integrity. I just dont jump on the crying sellout train so I provided other examples that can be viewed as being done for the purposes of "selling".

My band sold out. We're slowing down and playing breakdowns instead of solos now.

What do you mean, are you serious ? hard to tell. If so, Im not sure what a break down is and am wondering whats going on. If you have an interesting aspect from inside the industry you can tell without cutting your throat, it would be interesting to hear about.

Also, the notion of arguing when a band has "sold out" is a moot point anyway, since selling out implies a band or artist going against their integrity in hopes of pleasing other people, and to know whether or not the band honestly wants to change their sound or not, we'll never know, since that would require crawling inside the artists' head.

And also, what about an artist that gets more commercial because thats what they honestly really want to do with their art, and an artist who puts the same shit out over and over just to please their fans, even though they're just going through the motions? I think I'd rather listen to the former than the latter.
Well said, those are good points :) Using Metallica as an example, people bash on this talented group relentlessly as being sellouts. But it always struck me more like they just didn't want to repeat the same style over and over, which I respect. Now I didn't care for St. Anger, like many, but that doesn't mean I think they're worthless now because of it, nor does it lessen the quality of previous efforts. Crap, I didn't mean to steer this into a Metallica debate...uh oh *hides*

Im not much on their later stuff either but the "sell out" cry went out with the Black album and I liked that alot, some of it got over played but oh well, it was a great piece of work

at that same time Megadeth got the "sell out" cry for Countdown, so did Queensryche for Empire, Savatage for Edge of Thorns and Fates Warning for Perfect Symetry. All of these recordings I liked alot and only see them as musicians that had grown up.

Around this time was when I got a bitter taste in my mouth for the cry "sell out"

Well said, those are good points :) Using Metallica as an example, people bash on this talented group relentlessly as being sellouts. But it always struck me more like they just didn't want to repeat the same style over and over, which I respect. Now I didn't care for St. Anger, like many, but that doesn't mean I think they're worthless now because of it, nor does it lessen the quality of previous efforts. Crap, I didn't mean to steer this into a Metallica debate...uh oh *hides*
Evolution is one thing, but with the left turn those guys made, it's hard to deny. If you've honestly listened to the first 3 (or 4, depending on who you are), and then Black album, Load, and Reload... *shudder*. It's PAINFULLY obvious, dude.

In my opinion Metallica sold out at St. Anger.

Black still has Metallica all over it.. Load and reLoad are just a new direction. There are more songs about feelings on those albums.

But none can deny St. Anger as sell out.

this thread is gonna get ugly, pretty much everybody who doesn't like an album that a band put out after an album that they did like, is gonna say the band sold out... I think something like Metallica is really obvious, but slight shifts in direction can't be considered selling out. Selling out is when a band completely loses their musical integrity for the purpose of a big financial deal. Changing their mind about what style they want to play just happens as people grow opinions change, so will their music, and some people will think the earlier stuff is better and others the later stuff.

Im not much on their later stuff either but the "sell out" cry went out with the Black album and I liked that alot, some of it got over played but oh well, it was a great piece of work

at that same time Megadeth got the "sell out" cry for Countdown, so did Queensryche for Empire, Savatage for Edge of Thorns and Fates Warning for Perfect Symetry. All of these recordings I liked alot and only see them as musicians that had grown up.

Around this time was when I got a bitter taste in my mouth for the cry "sell out"

I would have considered Parallels to be Fates Warnings "sell out"...but I don't care I love that album...can't stand anything else by them.

"Sell out" would have to reflect in record sales, otherwise it's really meaningless.

or an emotional catharsis gone horribly wrong in musical form

Yeah.. you're right.

We have to remember that these bands are playing to get money. In the end they still have to make money.. so it's hard to determine if a band has sold out.

Yeah but beetles sold out for sure. No questions asked there.:loco:

Yeah schenkadere, Fates Warning changed to a more streamlined sound on Parallels, almost a Queensryche- Empire-like feel in places on that album. When Arch was the singer, they were more Maiden-esque. When Alder joined, they got very Rush-ish. I like both era's, but the one that pissed me off was the one after Parallels: the Inside Out album. Just really a soft rock kind of album.:puke:

Fates sound changed with Perfect Symetry which is very similiar to Parallels, less timing issues. Fates is primarily from the mind of Matheos so Alder had little to do with the musical change really. However Jim wanted to express himself is what we got, I've been cool with all of it. A style and sound of their own from anything else Ive ever heard, thats something I can really appreaciate. Still they got the sell out cry when Matheos stepped away from metal a bit and let the music breath, but it was'nt aimed at FM radio play.

Huge sell out!!!

Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal playing guitar for Guns n Roses.

This guy has sick skills playing that silly Slash stuff.

Oh well, everyone's got to make a buck and it's hard to do just being an oddball guitar hero...much like Buckethead.

I'm sure he's got a family to feed.

Not a hardcore GnR fan, was fun for a bit, but dont you think Slash had tasteful guitar work ? I know you are talking comparitively... but using the word silly was just comparitively right ? Just wondering thats all.

i find him pretty boring really, tastefull? yeah he is pretty tastefull, but tastefull means different things to different people, espeically between non-guitarists and guitarists

Not a hardcore GnR fan, was fun for a bit, but dont you think Slash had tasteful guitar work ? I know you are talking comparitively... but using the word silly was just comparitively right ? Just wondering thats all.

He's got a few things I've heard that I like, but overall he bores me. I'd never seek out his work...I also don't really dig his bands.