Bands that have sold out?

I want to say In Flames but I don't think I can make an educated decision on this. All I know is that their old stuff is bad ass melodic DM with solos and dynamics while their new stuff is like metalcore uninspired garbage. What happened to Jesper, he used to write great songs.

the only other band that I feel like I can agree with is Metallica, but they didn't sell out for the better. I know St. Anger sold a lot, but I don't hear the songs being played on the radio or the "mainstream" talking about it.

neither of those two bands "sold out" so the indication is moot

I agree with those that Fates did not "sell out" but I still heard the words spoken at the time. Many old fans still wanted to hear the faster hardcore stuff. There was also many die hard Arch fans that were hurt.

Huge sell out!!!

Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal playing guitar for Guns n Roses.

This guy has sick skills playing that silly Slash stuff.

Oh well, everyone's got to make a buck and it's hard to do just being an oddball guitar hero...much like Buckethead.

I'm sure he's got a family to feed.

I don't think it's as much of a sell out, as taking on a GREAT oppertunity.
Now, if the next Bumblefoot/Thal cd sounds like G & R, then I'd say "sell out!"
Thal is currently recording the next Bumblefoot cd. Time will tell. I SERIOUSLY doubt that the G & R gig has anything to do with as much of a passion for their music, as much as it's a good money grab, and WELL within his skill level. Much like Vai joining Whitesnake for an album & a tour. Did wonders for keeping him self sufficient with his solo career. I believe Thal's situation will work out the same way.

Oh I forgot to mention Avantasia, started off as pretty good Power Metal.

Now the recent stuff has sellout written all over it, this is a slightly materialistic thing to say, but it's too hard not to notice: He cut his hair and started wearing eyeliner and black nail polish. Then also released two albums of pure pop bullshit.

I don't think it's as much of a sell out, as taking on a GREAT oppertunity.
Now, if the next Bumblefoot/Thal cd sounds like G & R, then I'd say "sell out!"
Thal is currently recording the next Bumblefoot cd. Time will tell. I SERIOUSLY doubt that the G & R gig has anything to do with as much of a passion for their music, as much as it's a good money grab, and WELL within his skill level. Much like Vai joining Whitesnake for an album & a tour. Did wonders for keeping him self sufficient with his solo career. I believe Thal's situation will work out the same way.

Still totally selling out. HOWEVER, it's for a good cause (his career) and being able to further what he wants to do. It is still him whoring himself out, there's no question of that, but being a whore isn't always a bad thing.

Same situation arose when Limp Bizkit was having tryouts for a new guitarist when Wes left. There were so many people who hated LB but were trying out for the gig to make a name for themselves, get some cash and then go off to do their own thing. So as i said, being a whore is acceptable, just call a spade a spade.

I still have a hard time calling that selling out. Aside from the fact that we'd first have to assume that it's something that Thal wasn't at all interested in for reasons other than money, things have to be looked at differently for working musicians like Thal. When guys like that take on session work or live gigs as backup musicians it's more comparable to working a day job than being a sell out. I don't consider guys like Guthrie or Greg Howe sellouts for taking on side-man gigs any more than I'd consider them sellouts for teaching or doing clinics for their endorsers. In either case it's using their talent/art to put food on the table and there's a clear separation between their own works and work they do for others. If the two coincide at any point then I still don't think that's selling out, it's simply landing a lucky gig.

Or on the other hand, when GnR came out, though they were commercially palatable they were out of the norm in a sea of pop metal bands. They werent doing alot of "come get the candy little girl" music or following any protocall. They were different at that time, so the recognition and enthousiasm they got was not due to being just another band with poofed up hair and eye liner, which they werent, it was for delivering some kick ass music that was more down to earth.

Of course then we found out Axl had issues

spot on with that one Meedley.... but you stole my spot... lol, that was my responce to other posts not yours, just so you know

I still have a hard time calling that selling out. Aside from the fact that we'd first have to assume that it's something that Thal wasn't at all interested in for reasons other than money, things have to be looked at differently for working musicians like Thal. When guys like that take on session work or live gigs as backup musicians it's more comparable to working a day job than being a sell out. I don't consider guys like Guthrie or Greg Howe sellouts for taking on side-man gigs any more than I'd consider them sellouts for teaching or doing clinics for their endorsers. In either case it's using their talent/art to put food on the table and there's a clear separation between their own works and work they do for others. If the two coincide at any point then I still don't think that's selling out, it's simply landing a lucky gig.

+1 I actually have all the more respect for Greg Howe for being good enough just to jump on a plane, learn the songs and choreography on the flight and do the Jacko tour, an guitarist of less talent wouldn't have even be capable, so Greg well and truly earned the large sum he would've received for that tour... plus its actually pretty fun playing stuff like that, I play in Musicals sometimes, and that's great fun, its not tr00 metal, but if its fun that shouldn't be selling out...

yep it takes great musicians to do that and I bet they make out pretty good too. The thing with Vai and Whitesnake... their about to go on tour for their most successful and one of the most successful commercial metal albums of that time. Sykes was gone, Vandenberg busts himself up before or during the tour (I forget).... seems calling Steve Vai was the smartest thing to do. Satch also stepped in on at least one tour... might have even been Deep Purple ?...... forget the money, in my book thats what a brother does.

Still totally selling out. HOWEVER, it's for a good cause (his career) and being able to further what he wants to do. It is still him whoring himself out, there's no question of that, but being a whore isn't always a bad thing.

Same situation arose when Limp Bizkit was having tryouts for a new guitarist when Wes left. There were so many people who hated LB but were trying out for the gig to make a name for themselves, get some cash and then go off to do their own thing. So as i said, being a whore is acceptable, just call a spade a spade.

To me, there's a BIG difference between whoring one's self out & "selling out".
I think the biggest difference is, as Meedley said, is taking on side work, while NOT compromising your own musical integrity. The side job analogy holds true. What if Skelator bassist Doomsgay Sack took a bass gig in a Liberace cover band, making an extra 100K a year in Vegas, BUT still cranked out Skelator releases and toured every year & a half or 2 years? Would you still consider that selling out, or would you consider that one helluva side job that allows you to do your own thing with your band? Suffering & living in poverty isn't a prerequisite to being tr00......

Agree 100%! Even if he did (& probably does) like G & R, I still see it as a lucky side gig......

yep it takes great musicians to do that and I bet they make out pretty good too. The thing with Vai and Whitesnake... their about to go on tour for their most successful and one of the most successful commercial metal albums of that time. Sykes was gone, Vandenberg busts himself up before or during the tour (I forget).... seems calling Steve Vai was the smartest thing to do. Satch also stepped in on at least one tour... might have even been Deep Purple ?...... forget the money, in my book thats what a brother does.

I THINK it was during the tour, or just before the tour. They DID both play onstage together at some point in that tour. Hardly anybody tours like that anymore, the logistics & expenses aren't up to par with that point in time. Not to mention the recording industry was in much better shape back then too, and could support a 14 month tour. Satch did the DP gig, not Whitesnake.

Dooms Gaysacks

there... fixed it.... sound like an awesome stage name

but.... Liberace ?..... that was low man

Ok, i'll agree that there's a difference between whoring ones-self out and selling out. And since no one knows bf's intentions i suppose one cannot say he is doing it only for money.

however, i will say if i were to join a trendy band who's music i dislike but it offers a sweet paycheck so i can do what i DO like, i'm selling out. If i were to join a band that goes against what metal means to me, then i'm both a whore (doing it for money) and a sell out.

I know Ron a little, but I have friends that are really close to him, and I can assure you guys his integrity is 100%. He is neither a whore nor a sell out. He's in GnR because he wants to be, trust me on this.

I don't doubt that, and even if that wasn't the case it wouldn't/shouldn't matter. Again, musicians doing things like that is more comparable to a day job than anything else. A metal guy playing in a cover band doing top 40 country stuff to pay the bills has no less integrity than a metal guy delivering pizzas to pay the bills. If anything, he should be applauded.