Bands that make you feel... something

Esteban

Thinking is overrated
Dec 28, 2002
Costa Rica
Visit site
Let me explain... sometimes when you listen to a song you get a clear picture in your mind or you get a... feeling, like you understand the message of the song, not only the lyrics but the music, it touches something emotional within you (how poetic, lol).

For example, when I listen to Iron Maiden there are songs like The Trooper or Aces High or Paschendale that paint clear pictures of war and despair, or maybe Anathema gets a feeling of sadness and grief... get what I mean?

So my question is, what bands get to you on an emotional level and why?

Mine would be:
Iron Maiden - what I said before
Dark Tranquility, Anathema, Opeth, Katatonia - Feelings of despair and sadness, love to listen to these bands when I feel down
Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness... I have to stop what I'm doing to listen closely to parts of this album
Kamelot - One of the few power metal bands that I like for something other than catchy riffs, these guys can write epic songs and make you feel them
W.A.S.P. - I don't know why, it's cheesy, but the feeling of anger, "sometimes I feel like an animal in a cage"...

I'll think of more later... let's hear yours...

Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness... I have to stop what I'm doing to listen closely to parts of this album
That sums it up pretty well.

And U2 as well, except each song makes me feel differently.

Black Metal as a whole stirs many emotions within me, dark and emotional. I cannot say why, it is jsut something that stirs me up. Power metal gets me wanting to raise my wodden sword to the sky and fight battles.... it is truly appealing to my fantasy oriented side. Iron Maiden are jsut damn good, and they appeal to everything I love of music.

i dont pay attention or care about lyrics. but from a musical standpoint, emperor. their music is just... powerfull. agression mixed with majesty and melody.
~gR~

Summoning, Mortiis (only "Født til å Herske"), Falkenbach, Burzum and Wongraven, Empyrium, Agalloch, Opeth, October Falls, Pain of Salvation, Tenhi, Ulver (first 2 albums + "Vargnatt"), and Vintersorg.

How the hell did I forget Emperor... the emotions arroused from soungs like I am the black Wizards, inno A Satana, and The Acclamation Of Bonds

Ultra-melodic solos make me feel something, as does really uplifting music. Like there's a balloon inside my chest that keeps expanding and expanding.

And Gothenburg melodies and riffs do that, as well as make me bang my head.

Katatonia - Brave Murder Day
Blazing Eternity - A World To Drown In
and others but those two definitly make me feel very deeply.

Recently, however, Elend - Winds Devouring Men has made me feel uneasy. Very little has ever done that. The unease was so strong at one point it was almost painful so I stopped listening to it. I'm trying to decide whether I should get it or not now.

Uhh...
I usually listen to Children of Bodom when I'm snowboarding ... dunno if its just cuz their songs are generally pretty fast (the best kind of songs to snowboard to are fast ones). I can't describe it ... on a side note, they usually have really shitty mainstream rock playing on the speakers they have set up around the terrain park at most Ski/Snowboard areas, so it is important that I have my headphones with me ... yeah, terrain park w/ CoB blasting in my headphones = sweet ... yeah, I'll Follow the Reaper alright ... the minute I hit that fuckin jump... :p

Opeth - gives me a sense of sadness and depression. Anger rages in your head but it's all withheld until to the sense that it's unbearable and becomes sadness. I seem to have images of characters in the 1700/1800s in a village of darkness and depression.

Maudlin of the Well - sadness, schizophrenia, caught in a post modern society. Kinda reminds me of Gotham City pictured in the Batman movies.

Kayo Dot - schizophrenia, in a minimalistic futuristic world. Just imagine a white room with nothing but a painting then suddenly the painting just starts getting all crazy and black just envelopes the whole room at some points in the song.

Cynic - Delves into the spiritual side of my mind, the cover seems to be a permanent image especially when they switch to clean guitars. I seem to have an idea of electricity running through my brain.

Tool - Quiet, depression. I bought an album without seeing any of their videos at all but all I had in my mind were claymodels, more like the one in their Prison Sex video in my mind.

Decapitated - inhuman, machinelike, anger. The first time I heard it, I got so pumped to hit someone. Insane.

I can't think of anything else now.

Anything Agalloch and Damnation from Opeth makes me calm. Very moody stuff. Good to listen to in winter (now) as it really sets a mood. Helps me go to sleep when sleeping pills don't.

The Berzerker makes me want to have a seizure :p

Blood Pig by Otep touches a nerve with me, also 5Mins Alone (Pantera). It's like when a song totally builds you up and you feel like or you wish you wrote it because it's so personal to you. Anyone that can create a piece of art or music that touches people like that deserves serious fucking respect. This is why Evanescence piss me off- they are not haunting or mysterious as their fans try to make out, they fucking suck.

IRON MAIDEN

They just appeal to me on so many levels! The beautiful melodies and epic nature of some songs is just so inspiring and emotional, like sometimes when I'm listening to a track like Infinite Dreams I just want to run round town screaming "MAAAIIDEEEN!!!!"

:D

I love the lyrics, but more importantly I just love the energy and sheer power in their music.

Listening to Maiden makes me feel 'something' more than anything else I've ever listened to - sheer enjoyment, inspiration, emotion, and also a pride that they are from my country, which I don't feel too often.

They are like my idols or heroes! :)

UP THE IRONS FOREVER!

:headbang:

Opeth, Katatonia, Anathema and Dark Tranquillity tends to give me pretty melancholic feelings. I can also get "highs" from very brutal bands like Dew-Scented, Carnal Forge, Vader and The Crown. Death's Symbolic album also gives me chills down my spine.

Crowbar's Lasting Dose hits home, So does the song 1916 by Motorhead. Most songs by Anathema, My Dying Bride, Isis. I love the first half of the Interpol Cd.
Early Sepultura has always pumped me up, and so does SYL.

There's many more, but i dont see hy anyone cares to read them

Katatonia - depending on song, either gives a reflective feeling of sadness or unexplainable uplifting feeling.
Some Moonspell tracks have a particular ambiance that cunjors up spine tingling feelings. Especially Angelizer and the Daemonarch track Corpus Hermeticum probably due to the fact that the lyrics are so interpretational.

And (no shame here!) listening to Luca Turillis cheese-tastic concept album King Of The Nordic Twilight is always like a religious experiece that I have to sing and shout along to (even if only in my head) leaving me with a feeling of total satisfaction at the end.

The bit in Light of Day Day Of Darkness about 20-25 mins in where everything stops and this rhythmic bass part comes in and everything just bilds until it eventually all stops on a high pitched electronic squeal is awesome.

Recently Monsters, by the gathering has been really getting to me. It has this feeling of hurting someone and really enjoying it and then at the same time feeling like you're being used by someone else. I totally get into the part of whoevers supposed to be singing the words. Really cathartic.

High On Maiden said:
IRON MAIDEN

They just appeal to me on so many levels! The beautiful melodies and epic nature of some songs is just so inspiring and emotional, like sometimes when I'm listening to a track like Infinite Dreams I just want to run round town screaming "MAAAIIDEEEN!!!!"

:D

I love the lyrics, but more importantly I just love the energy and sheer power in their music.

Listening to Maiden makes me feel 'something' more than anything else I've ever listened to - sheer enjoyment, inspiration, emotion, and also a pride that they are from my country, which I don't feel too often.

They are like my idols or heroes! :)

UP THE IRONS FOREVER!

:headbang:

"I just want to run round town screaming MAAAIIDEEEN!!!!"

Yes... that's exactly what I feel