Bands that take 'radical' new directions.

Nov 21, 2005
Scotland
www.myspace.com
No doubt I will get flamed for starting this thread (considering that nearly every thread ever started here gets flamed by somebody), but I thought I would raise the question anyways.

I was listening to Anathema on shuffle on my mp3 player. Y'know, a real mix of old and new stuff. As anybody who is familiar with the band will know, there has been a huge shift in direction since the band started. I mean, Opeth has evolved, but every Opeth record has a similar sound that makes it distinguishable as Opeth. When you look at a band like Anathema, comparing 'Serenades' to 'A Natural Disaster' is like listening to 2 completely seperate bands.

Paradise Lost are another band who have made a very large switch as far as their style was concerned. However, unlike Anathema, Paradise Lost didn't really stick to the shift in direction, and pussied out after 'Host' got slammed (I, for one, would have happily seen them continue in that vein). Still, 'Symbol Of Life' and 'Paradise Lost' bear almost no similarity to 'Gothic', or even really 'Icon'.

Katatonia too have made a radical shift in style. Gone is the gothic doom metal (akin to that of early PL) that we can hear on 'Dance Of the December Souls', and in it's place we find a totally different style, far more melodic and varied, but also at times even more crushing than it was before (see 'The Great Cold Distance').

And then there are bands like My Dying Bride, who attempted to chance direction ('34.788% Complete'), and then backfooted entirely after the fans didn't take to it, sounding recently simply like a polished version of their earlier work.

I guess what I want to know is what people think of bands who's sound changes to the point of being unrecognisable. And for these bands, do people like the progressions they hear, or would they rather that the bang had stuck with it's original style. And why is it that some bands have a sound that stays with them (in essence) throughout their career (Opeth), while other see such dramatic changes in sound? Any opinions at all on this?

Also, any other examples of bands that have done this would be cool.

*EDIT* Add Therion to the list.

Pantera: old material was glamrock, then they suddenly switched to tough-guy metal with Cowboys From Hell.

Samael: old material was extremely slow doom/black metal. New material is mostly electronic. (I like both)

Ulver: two poorly produced black metal albums, then suddenly a folk album, and then ventured on into electronics/ambient/triphop.

CAIRATH said:

Ulver: two poorly produced black metal albums, then suddenly a folk album, and then ventured on into electronics/ambient/triphop.

nope. Ulver's first was black/folk metal
second was folk
third was black metal

I like all of Ulvers albums. But Blood Inside went a little too far over my head (and maybe theirs.)

Wait, actually I got my timeline mixed up. Ulver released a black metal album, then a folk album, then a black metal album again, and then went on into electronic stuff. And their recent album is more avant-garde'ish I guess.

[edit: nevermind]

Ulver is a very good example that I shouldn't have forgotten for two reasons:

1. I'm a fan (not a huge one, but I really like them).

2. I was listening to Perdition City about half an hour before I started this thread :lol:

Great thread Liquid...stuff like this is interesting.

I really resepct Ulver are always awesome and dark regardless of musical style.

I'll just add one band.

Cave in - Crazy Metal stuff to proggy poppy stuff

It's only natural for a band to evolve... however the pace of some is truly formidable :D

I'd add Death add Cynic to the list... maybe I'll come up with something else later...

I love bands where you don't know what to expect next, only that it will be their best effort and top quality.

Katatonia, Ulver, Anathema all definitely belong in that category.

In Flames (From Melodic Death Metal to a more mainstream sounding metal with electronic Influences)
Soilwork (From a type of Melodic Death Metal to .. well.. Just shit..)
At The Gates ( From Straight up death Metal to Melodic Death Metal)
Carcass (Grindcore to Death Metal.. Or Even just Melodic Death Metal)

NineFeetUnderground said:
manes
summoning
theatre of tragedy
burzum
the gathering
carcass

are a couple more examples

Well Burzum only really changed because Varg now only has access to Keyboard/synth type stuff. If he gets out he has said he might make a normal BM album again.

"It has nothing to do with that. All Metal music is simply alien music, with roots in my pals music, and for that reason alone I will have nothing to do with it, as simple as that."
-Varg Vikernes

In other words, I doubt it. And if he does then I'd like to see someone call him on that (and all the other bullshit he's spouted over the years).

CAIRATH said:
"It has nothing to do with that. All Metal music is simply alien music, with roots in my pals music, and for that reason alone I will have nothing to do with it, as simple as that."
-Varg Vikernes

In other words, I doubt it. And if he does then I'd like to see someone call him on that (and all the other bullshit he's spouted over the years).

Varg Vikernes is a fucking pussy.

Liquid Diamonds said:
Oh yeah... Metallica had one of the coolest style changes. It looked like this:

Good - Less Good - Shit - Utter Bollocks - WHY?!?!?!

I think that pretty much sums it up :lol:
Haha. Right you are.