Bands that take 'radical' new directions.

Apostle In Triumph said:
Never knew pussies burned churches and murdered...

as for metallica,I agree they had the biggest change ive heard

for me it goes:

really good, great, ok , shiteahhhh
Maybe not a pussy, just a HUGE asshole.

Varg has said more recently that he probably will record black metal again. He's cooled off a bit. Being in prison can make you a little crazy.

Emperor changed rather radically during their career. Behemoth went from black metal to death metal. Mortiis has had several major changes. Porcupine Tree shifted from being a mostly electronic one man band to being a rock group.

i think ulver is the best band to make radical changes. i like both the new stuff and the old, blood inside was one of the best from 2005.

with metallica, the problem isn't necessarily the style change that's the problem, but the drop in quality (doh :p)

another good example of an experiment (although not as radical a change as ulver or anathema) is a favourite of mine, bruce dickinson. 1996's skunkworks was his attempt at trendier music some might say - the resulting band/album turned out to sound really fresh, with a unique feel imo, and some of the best lyrics he's ever written.

and of course, there are countless others.

Radiohead- completely changed their sound, stopped relying on guitar-bass-drums for every song, experimented heavily... my favorite band

I think Opeth have changed throughout their career a fair amount though. The leap from Morningrise to MAYH was pretty damn big, even though they could both be called progressive death metal with a dark, cold mood, they were completely different sounding albums in style. And if you compare MAYH to GR, they are very different too

Some comments on bands mentioned:
  • Anathema - I really liked their old, more melancholic and heavy style. I'm not so much into the newer stuff.
  • Katatonia - I LOVE their older stuff. The new stuff is good, but I miss the old stuff.
  • Theater of Tragedy - *sob* Please, please, please drop the electronic style.
  • Paradise Lost - I like the changes. Here's another one that wouldn't have minded if they kept going with the style in "Host". :wave:
  • Metallica - *puke* No other comment needed.
  • The Gathering - I like the change.
  • Burzum - Don't mind the change.
  • Ulver - Don't mind the change.
  • Therion - Love it!
Just to mention a few that haven't been mentioned yet (I hate to classify musical gengres, so therefore I suck at it and many of you will probably disagree):
  • Bathory - Black Metal -> Viking metal. I liked the change. I'm not too fond of the stuff after Hammerheart and Twilight though.
  • Edge of Sanity - Almost standard Death Metal -> Epic Death Metal -> Totally Standard Death Metal -> Epic Death Metal. I guess if you don't count the CD without Dan, it's not that radical of a change. ;) I loved the progression, if you disregard Cryptic, of course.
  • Nightingale - Metal inspired by Goth -> Progressive rock. Maybe not a very radical change, but still very noticable. Although I love the dark feelings of the first album, I also love the newer sound.

when judging this, i think there are two ways of going at it.

1. one can take a very conservative view, and call it crap, based simply on the fact that the band isn't "tr00" anymore.

2. one can actually listen to the music for what it is.

there is a techno "band" called gatecrusher that used to be a rock band...not sure what style.

JoeVice said:
when judging this, i think there are two ways of going at it.

1. one can take a very conservative view, and call it crap, based simply on the fact that the band isn't "tr00" anymore.

2. one can actually listen to the music for what it is.

there is a techno "band" called gatecrusher that used to be a rock band...not sure what style.
I'd say there are a few levels in between those to extremes.

EoS and Nightingale are just...... :worship: i don't think they've put out a single bad record yet. I agree, the changes throughout the years have been interesting and positive

Thought Industry (from progressive thrash to alternative rock )
Neurosis (compare Pain Of Mind to The Eye Of Every Storm or Through Silver in Blood)

Illuminatixvx said:
Opeth BECAUSE:

Ghost Reveries was like Opeth’s Black Album….

It’s all a downward spiral from here, folks. ;(
I whole heartedly agree. Don't own GR and don't care to. They are now doing all they can to appeal to the masses. Leave Ghost Reveries for the children and the twits.

Oh, so we have another ignorant lad on here?

People are getting out of hand with this crap. Shut your mouths and quit complaining about Ghost Reveries.

Unless you were being sarcastic. If so, then good for you. ;)

If not, then you are terrible! :mad:

- the TMSFGJAE

shark22 said:
I whole heartedly agree. Don't own GR and don't care to. They are now doing all they can to appeal to the masses. Leave Ghost Reveries for the children and the twits.

Luckily you have proven over and over again to be a complete moron and no one takes you seriously.

shark22 said:

Well said. I agree completely.

I guess I haven't given my opinions yet. Here are some:

Anathema: To be honest, 'A Dying Wish' and 'Lovelorn Rhapsody' aside, I thought they were pretty lacking as a doom metal band. 'Eternity' woul dhave been good if Vinnie had been able to sing at the time. But I adore the way they're changed. They've found their style, and are so much better for it. Underrated isn't a strong enough word.

Paradise Lost: I think the change they made on 'One Second' was a good idea. Nick Holmes realised he could actually sing, and his 'growl' was pretty pathetic. And 'Host' is one of my all-time favourite. Best songs they've ever written IMO. But when people didn't like it, they didn't know what to do. I understand, because they lost like, half of their fanbase, but 'Believe In Nothing' seemed forced, and ended up being pretty much their weakest record to date. I've very much enjoyed the two records since, but I can't help but feel that the 'Host' sounds was just where they were meant to go...

Ulver: Love the change. I'm not a huge fan of their black metal, and 'William Blake' was a huge improvement for me. If it weren't for Garms grating warble, that would be an all-time favourite of mine. I think some of their side-stuff (eg 'Lykantropen Themes') is a little hit-and-miss. But 'Perdition City' is a definate favourite of mine. Haven't totally made up my mind on 'Blood Inside'. Don't get me wrong, I really like it. I'm just not sure how much.

My Dying Bride: I really liked the change that 34.788% Complete' hearalded, but Stainthorpes decision to resume growlin after that was a wise one. He's not the best clean singer (understatement), but they work well interspersed with his fucking awesome growls. And I guess if they had stuck with the change, we never would have got 'The Dreadful Hours'. And that would have been, well... dreadful :lol:.

Therion: I don't think the change is good. Don't get me wrong, their newer stuff is ok. But with the preoduction they have now, their deat-metal albums would be so awesome. 'Symphony Of The Dead' is an amazing song!

Katatonia: I'm so glad they changed. They've found what they're good at. Daniel is a much better drummer than Jonas is ever going to be, and Jonas has such a haunting, fragile clean vocal, it gives me chills. 'The Great Cold Distance' pwns us ALL!

The Gathering: I'm a little less familiar with them as a whole, but from what I've heard, I like the change. 'Souvenirs' has much better atmospherics than albums like 'Mandylion', and it gives Anneke the chance to show what an incredible voice she has. And the Trickster G duet is awe-inspiring!