Bands that take 'radical' new directions.

To be completely honest, I like two songs off St. Anger: The Unnamed Feeling and Some Kind of Monster. And actually, there are some good tracks on Reload. Unforgiven 2, Where the Wild Things Are.. umm.. I don't remember it well enough. But I like them moreso for their rock value, not metal.

thats just it: Metallica transitioned from being thrashier metal to a more mainstream rock band... that was still interesting. until St. Anger, which had some passable songs but mostly sank like a rock

Illuminatixvx said:
Opeth BECAUSE:

Ghost Reveries was like Opeth’s Black Album….

It’s all a downward spiral from here, folks. ;(

Care to explain that? Cuz I don't see that AT ALL. Explain to me where the sell-out is in a song like Ghost of Perdition or how The Grand Conjuration is at all comparable with that pile of dog shit Enter Sandman.

Don't even get me started on the utter shite that was the rehearsal DVD! Fucks sake, that shit was poor...

And St. Anger (the whole album, not just the song) has some of the worst lyrics I've ever read...

Hypnos said:
bands changing radically, being not so good now:

Anathema

i actually prefer Anathema's newer stuff. the only doom metal album i really liked form them was 'the silent enigma' and that was the beginning of their turn. the growls before that were just pathetic....and after they just gave them up.

however "J'ai Fait Une Promesse" form serenades is a beautiful song...and remains one of my favourite anathema songs (not doom metal in the least...i know)

it took awhile for cavanagh to get where he is at now in terms of vocals though...and you can see how much better he gets with vocals each album. (well, moreso from eternity->judgement, i think he was basically 'there' at judgement and only made minor improvements afterwards)

Liquid Diamonds said:
And St. Anger (the whole album, not just the song) has some of the worst lyrics I've ever read...
Ahahahaha! Speaking of the song though,

"I'm madly in anger with you"

WTF? That makes no sense! Use the right words you dumbasses!

"I'm very angry with you"

Then the song wouldn't have failed.

- the TMSFGJAE

Weeeelllll it is kind of a a play of words. I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or anything, but you know, I'm madly in love with you.. madly in anger with you...

But yes, it does suck.

^i know what you're saying, but it's lame. that album is full of such lame puns.
Disgustipated said:
Genesis - from prog rock to pop rock.
...like almost every major 70s prog band :erk:

i like metallica up to reload, except for the songs with country influences on the loads. s&m could've been good, but it wasn't - mostly because the orchestrations sucked imo.

Liquid Diamonds said:
I guess I haven't given my opinions yet. Here are some:
Anathema: To be honest, 'A Dying Wish' and 'Lovelorn Rhapsody' aside, I thought they were pretty lacking as a doom metal band. 'Eternity' woul dhave been good if Vinnie had been able to sing at the time. But I adore the way they're changed. They've found their style, and are so much better for it. Underrated isn't a strong enough word.
what's with 'Pentecost III'? this brilliant masterpice is sadly overlooked by a lot of people. 'Eternity' and 'Silent Enigma' are my favourite Anathema-albums and ae far superior to 'AFDTE' or 'AND'. Vinnies voice improved technically, i agree, but i still prefer his singing on 'Eternity'. this is similar with Mike. he is a better singer now technically but i like his clean voice on 'MAYH' the most

Liquid Diamonds said:
Paradise Lost: I think the change they made on 'One Second' was a good idea. Nick Holmes realised he could actually sing, and his 'growl' was pretty pathetic. And 'Host' is one of my all-time favourite. Best songs they've ever written IMO. But when people didn't like it, they didn't know what to do. I understand, because they lost like, half of their fanbase, but 'Believe In Nothing' seemed forced, and ended up being pretty much their weakest record to date. I've very much enjoyed the two records since, but I can't help but feel that the 'Host' sounds was just where they were meant to go...
i disagree. my favouite PL records are 'Gothic' and 'Draconian Times'. with the release of 'One Second' i lost my interest in this band, although i always tried to give them a chance. the biggest disappointment for me was 'Host'. i have no problem with the particular style they play on that album, but the songs are all so uninspired and boring as hell. the following albums were not much better.

Liquid Diamonds said:
Ulver: Love the change. I'm not a huge fan of their black metal, and 'William Blake' was a huge improvement for me. If it weren't for Garms grating warble, that would be an all-time favourite of mine. I think some of their side-stuff (eg 'Lykantropen Themes') is a little hit-and-miss. But 'Perdition City' is a definate favourite of mine. Haven't totally made up my mind on 'Blood Inside'. Don't get me wrong, I really like it. I'm just not sure how much.
i agree partially. 'William Blake' is a masterpiece. but i also love their former albums, esp. 'Bergtatt' which is an unmatched gem in its genre. 'Blood Inside' is great aswell...

Liquid Diamonds said:
My Dying Bride: I really liked the change that 34.788% Complete' hearalded, but Stainthorpes decision to resume growlin after that was a wise one. He's not the best clean singer (understatement), but they work well interspersed with his fucking awesome growls. And I guess if they had stuck with the change, we never would have got 'The Dreadful Hours'. And that would have been, well... dreadful :lol:.
ok, agreed.

Liquid Diamonds said:
Therion: I don't think the change is good. Don't get me wrong, their newer stuff is ok. But with the preoduction they have now, their deat-metal albums would be so awesome. 'Symphony Of The Dead' is an amazing song!
well. their newest stuff is somehow repetitive and uninteresting. 'Theli' and 'Vovin' are great but after them they started to copy themselves and lost the innovation. i'd love to hear a brilliant album like 'Ho Drakon, Ho Megas' again...

Liquid Diamonds said:
Katatonia: I'm so glad they changed. They've found what they're good at. Daniel is a much better drummer than Jonas is ever going to be, and Jonas has such a haunting, fragile clean vocal, it gives me chills. 'The Great Cold Distance' pwns us ALL!
i like their new stuff as much as i like their old stuff. 'Viva Emptiness' almost reaches the top-quality of a classic like 'BMD' imo. hope 'TGCD' kick as much ass...

Liquid Diamonds said:
The Gathering: I'm a little less familiar with them as a whole, but from what I've heard, I like the change. 'Souvenirs' has much better atmospherics than albums like 'Mandylion', and it gives Anneke the chance to show what an incredible voice she has. And the Trickster G duet is awe-inspiring!
'Souvenirs' is fine, yet i still prefer 'Mandylion' over any other release by this band. but their style-change works quite well for them.

demonofthefall6469 said:
Care to explain that? Cuz I don't see that AT ALL. Explain to me where the sell-out is in a song like Ghost of Perdition or how The Grand Conjuration is at all comparable with that pile of dog shit Enter Sandman.

I dont agree with it being a "downward spiral" for Opeth, but I just really hope that they do something...very...very...different from GR on their next album.

Don't get me started on TGC. It's a good song IF you end it at 7:06. I CANNOT beleive Mikael and the gang pushed for the song to be 10:21, its literally over 3 minutes of repetitive riffs, incredibly boring.

blimey said:
I dont agree with it being a "downward spiral" for Opeth, but I just really hope that they do something...very...very...different from GR on their next album.

Don't get me started on TGC. It's a good song IF you end it at 7:06. I CANNOT beleive Mikael and the gang pushed for the song to be 10:21, its literally over 3 minutes of repetitive riffs, incredibly boring.

WTF? I love the fact they made that song exactly the way they made that song? Are you going to bitch about the last 3:23 of Deliverance as well?

Opeth has quite a few songs that are too long. I would say that is their main flaw as far as songwriting goes. Long songs are nice when there is enough material there, but sometimes they just feel unnecessarily padded.

Hypnos said:
what's with 'Pentecost III'? this brilliant masterpice is sadly overlooked by a lot of people. 'Eternity' and 'Silent Enigma' are my favourite Anathema-albums and ae far superior to 'AFDTE' or 'AND'. Vinnies voice improved technically, i agree, but i still prefer his singing on 'Eternity'. this is similar with Mike. he is a better singer now technically but i like his clean voice on 'MAYH' the most

i disagree. my favouite PL records are 'Gothic' and 'Draconian Times'. with the release of 'One Second' i lost my interest in this band, although i always tried to give them a chance. the biggest disappointment for me was 'Host'. i have no problem with the particular style they play on that album, but the songs are all so uninspired and boring as hell. the following albums were not much better.

i agree partially. 'William Blake' is a masterpiece. but i also love their former albums, esp. 'Bergtatt' which is an unmatched gem in its genre. 'Blood Inside' is great aswell...

ok, agreed.

well. their newest stuff is somehow repetitive and uninteresting. 'Theli' and 'Vovin' are great but after them they started to copy themselves and lost the innovation. i'd love to hear a brilliant album like 'Ho Drakon, Ho Megas' again...

i like their new stuff as much as i like their old stuff. 'Viva Emptiness' almost reaches the top-quality of a classic like 'BMD' imo. hope 'TGCD' kick as much ass...

'Souvenirs' is fine, yet i still prefer 'Mandylion' over any other release by this band. but their style-change works quite well for them.

See, this is good. This is interesting, because you have very different musical preferences to my own. Firstly, forgive me, because i forgot 'Pentecost 3', which is very good. Much better than 'Serenades'. I only got it very recently, which may be why I forgot it. Some people seem to like the more 'warbled' style of Vinnie on 'Eternity', but personally I think it's much better now. I think AFDTE is their best work.

Again. with PL, you seem to be interested in a different sound to me. See, from my point of view, I just can't understand how you can dismiss the songs on 'Host' as boring. That album has some of the strongest songs I ever heard. How can 'Its Too Late' not move you? Maybe I'm just a sucker for string arrangemenets, I dunno... However, I will admit that the songs from 'Host' don't work as well live as any of the others.

Ulver, well maybe I just think the way I do because I don't appreciate trad BM as much as some others. And I don't really like that their third album has deliberately shitty production. I think Krys Rygg has become a fantastic musical innovater of late.

As for Katatonia... when you get TGCD, let it grow on you. On first listen, you may be disappointed, but it really does kick major ass :D

They have been mentioned, but I'll mention them again:

Porcupine Tree...

Electronic prog ---> spacey Floyd-esque prog ---> indie-influenced prog/rock ---> metal-influenced prog/rock

P.S. That was pretty shit categorization, but they're quite hard to pigeon-hole

MixGrafix said:
WTF? I love the fact they made that song exactly the way they made that song? Are you going to bitch about the last 3:23 of Deliverance as well?
People can say whatever they want. We all know this is the offical band forum, but we should welcome personal ideas and criticism. :)