Bands that take 'radical' new directions.

Kenneth R. said:
Michael Kaman did an excellent job imo... RIP.
rip... i respect the guy as much as anyone, but:

to me it seemed like most of the time, instead of building on, and consolidating, the melodies present in the songs, kamen invented some of his own - in some places it feels as if you were listening to two songs at once. most of the time, the symphony detracts from the song imo...

and also, the fact that the band didn't adapt the songs at all (they just played them like they normally do at a concert) didn't help either. there are some songs that work though - nothing else matters (doh :p), battery, the new ones, and i can't remember any others cos it's been quite a while since i last listened to it.

shark22 said:
I whole heartedly agree. Don't own GR and don't care to. They are now doing all they can to appeal to the masses. Leave Ghost Reveries for the children and the twits.

That's a very astute observation that Opeth are doing all they can to appeal to 'the masses' because 'the masses' sure love death growls and 10 minute songs.

Also, lol @ you being upset about Opeth 'appealing to the masses' when you are a Killswitch Engage fan.

Jon Snow said:
That's a very astute observation that Opeth are doing all they can to appeal to 'the masses' because 'the masses' sure love death growls and 10 minute songs.

Also, lol @ you being upset about Opeth 'appealing to the masses' when you are a Killswitch Engage fan.
Omg, owned. +1 000 000 000 000 000

Braighs said:
nope. Ulver's first was black/folk metal
second was folk
third was black metal

I like all of Ulvers albums. But Blood Inside went a little too far over my head (and maybe theirs.)

people like you are fucking faggots and need to die. EVERYONE KNOWS WHAT THE FUCK HE MEANT AND SO DID YOU, DIE YOU CORRECTING '"LOOK I KNOW GENRES FUCKING KICKASS" PIECE OF SHIT.

Dark_Karma said:
Electronic prog ---> spacey Floyd-esque prog ---> indie-influenced prog/rock ---> metal-influenced prog/rock
l
That's about the best characterization I've seen of them.

Mumblefood said:
people like you are fucking faggots and need to die. EVERYONE KNOWS WHAT THE FUCK HE MEANT AND SO DID YOU, DIE YOU CORRECTING '"LOOK I KNOW GENRES FUCKING KICKASS" PIECE OF SHIT.

:tickled:

:oops:

edit - @Tubbs. I am giving a speech about the dangers of taking Ritalin, Adderall, Concerta, etc. And yes, I know all about the differences and I'll be sure to let everyone know. FUCKING KICKASS. :cool:

Thx Braighs. That's INSIGHTFUL.

And don't think my comment about medication wasn't insightful, because it was. If you didn't get the secret meaning in my medication message, you are not worthy of my explanation.

No one has mentioned Sentenced!

Mokoma is also another style-changer. [Finnish rock band that turned into this modern, "melancholic" thrashmetal band]
All of their stuff is awesome.

[edit]
Apocalyptica should be mentioned also, even though the style-changes aren't that major.

CAIRATH said:
Pantera: old material was glamrock, then they suddenly switched to tough-guy metal with Cowboys From Hell.

Samael: old material was extremely slow doom/black metal. New material is mostly electronic. (I like both)

Ulver: two poorly produced black metal albums, then suddenly a folk album, and then ventured on into electronics/ambient/triphop.
ulver started out with the first album, Bergtatt, as a folk/black metal mix. similar to opeth in the extent of contrast of acoustic/electric and singing(or chanting in ulver's case)/metal screams. their second album kveldssanger, was an all acoustic folk inspired album, and the third, natten's madrgial, was a complete black metal album, with the exception of the first track which had a small acoustic interlude. those three albums compose their "trilogie," before they changed directions into a more electronic genre. as good as their new stuff may be, bergtatt is one of my favorite albums and considering that album, I wish they'd kept with it. kveldssanger is great too, and nattens madrigal is decent metal, however poorly produced. it was rumored to be recorded on a 4 track in a forest in norway somewhere.

oops. didnt see that half of this was addressed already.