Bands you love musically- but whose singers need to be shot.

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
Are there any metal bands that one like musically, but one cant stand the singers? This is a personal problem for me, I like the music from many Bay Area Thrash bands, but I cant stand the singers; bands like Vio-lence, Overkill, Death Angel. This also occurs to me with Death and Black metal- Attila from Mayhem is so dreadfully bad, I pretend he is not singing. Same with the brutal death metal- hey I love Suffocation, and Nile- but the death warbles are no fun to listen to( actually i never did mind Morbid Angels singer- even Deicide- every thing doesnt sound exactly the same with them). Lets not even start with power metal and prog metal. The high pitch scream of such talents as James Labrie, is worse than listening to Yoko Ono to me.

With some bands I have grown accustomed to their singers, becuase I like their music so much( Forbidden, Voivod etc). Yet, I still just cant put in Vio-Lence or Overkill, and really enjoy it, because of those wretched singers.

I know this is all opinion- but there has to be a number of bands, that every poster on this site, cant listen to becuase of the singer.

speed said:
Are there any metal bands that one like musically, but one cant stand the singers? This is a personal problem for me, I like the music from many Bay Area Thrash bands, but I cant stand the singers; bands like Vio-lence, Overkill, Death Angel. This also occurs to me with Death and Black metal- Attila from Mayhem is so dreadfully bad, I pretend he is not singing. Same with the brutal death metal- hey I love Suffocation, and Nile- but the death warbles are no fun to listen to( actually i never did mind Morbid Angels singer- even Deicide- every thing doesnt sound exactly the same with them). Lets not even start with power metal and prog metal. The high pitch scream of such talents as James Labrie, is worse than listening to Yoko Ono to me.

With some bands I have grown accustomed to their singers, becuase I like their music so much( Forbidden, Voivod etc). Yet, I still just cant put in Vio-Lence or Overkill, and really enjoy it, because of those wretched singers.

I know this is all opinion- but there has to be a number of bands, that every poster on this site, cant listen to becuase of the singer.

KREATOR!!! The vocal is ok sometimes, but at it's worst it is totally shit. But still Kreator is one of my fav thrash bands

I like Overkills vocals though

Well, there are many bands like that, but I don't buy their CDs because the vocals bother me so much. Basically, I think that many power metal bands would be great it the vocals weren't operatic, and they got rid of those damn annoying vocal harmonies (which is what bothers me the most about power metal). Because of these characteristics in the vocals, I will never be a power metal fan.

this is exactly how i feel about cradle of filth... Dani's "rasp" is just a little too much... thats the one reason why I think COFs rise in popularity is a good thing. Perhaps they'll be big enough to be on the radar for the religious fanatics and he'll get his head fucking blown in like he does in Cradle of Fear and than they can get a decent vocalist

speaking of death metal bands, I just heard this band caninus, there a death metal band with two pitbulls doing vocals, no joke.

Akronaes said:
Nevermore.

Great music.. love their riffs.. their singer needs to FUCKING DIE!

I disagree. I really like him - and as far as the music goes - well, on Enemies Of Reality it's all smudged and blurry.. His voice saved it for me - but it's a preferance.. I like more musically-oriented vocals (though some power metal singers DO annoy me) - other prefer the rasps, grinds, screams, etc...

Needled24Seven said:
thats called production pal.:p that cd has some of the best riffs and solos ive heard in a long time.
I know what it's called. I even had a thread in the Nevermore forum about the very thing. Point is that I can't properly enjoy music with St. Anger-like production :). Just sounds like noise.

As far as the annoying singers - back when I bought Pantera's Cowboys, Phil Anselmo's voice used to annoy the living hell out of me.. But nowadays it doesn't.. Go figure..

Almost every band with a chick singer (bar Lacuna coil and evanesence), nothing personal, but a rock/metal band with a chick singer is very had to do well, and most fail at it.

None_So_Vile said:
i agree with what life sucks said, i cant stand power metal vocals - they're what stops me from liking power metal because i do actually like the riffing etc... but the vocals put me way off
You know you love power metal really :p
But I agree. I do like power metal, but when I hear most power metal vocals, I'm put off. Though, aside from that, I can stand Blind Guardian.

Majority of death metal. Growls are alright, but if that's all they got it gets boring quickly.

And Warrel rocks and I think chick singers do a better job in gothic/doom stuff than the guys do. Also in power metal they fit in pretty well.

Dahaha. The singer for Overkill is so annoying good god. But I dont hate the dude mind you. I love Overkill's brand of thrash metal though.

I love Vital Remains but their singer Glenn Burton of Deicide. I hate him so much. Tries so goddamn hard to look all evil and scary it's pathetic.