Bands you respect/appreciate but don't particularly like?

Almost all Death metal bands. If a band cannot/will not play melodicly I tend to just find them boring. Obscura and Quo Vadis I love, but Canibal Corpse? I get bored after 20 seconds regardless of how powerful or technicaly impressive the music is.

I gotta thank everyone that said Incantation. I'd NEVER listened to them, and now can safely put "Onward to Golgotha" on my top albums list. I gotta go pick up my asshole, it got blown across the room.

Cradle of Filth & Metallica

I like 3 whole cradle of filth songs but other than that I think it's forced & Dani Filth irks the hell out of me. Metallica... mad respect & I like a couple of songs but overall I think they're overrated & most of their songs sound too much alike.

I really don't get how someone can not get the biggest boner ever when listening to The Chasm. Does...not...compute.

Well, let's be honest here. A lot of the classic Sabbath is boring as fuck and pretty tame by today's standards. Try to listen to the self-titled track again. Just sit through that one... riff... for a couple minutes.

At the time, that style blew minds and opened doors wide, but it's sort of like the Model T Ford. It's a miracle of engineering and without it we wouldn't have anything, but if you gave one to someone who bought a new Benz, they'd look at you like you're crazy. The VAST majority of the appeal is in the appreciation of it in its time frame.

Disclosure: I like a fair amount of Sabbath, and the above is just to explain how someone else might not. Me, I was practically raised on it, so that's probably a factor. If I'd never found a Sabbath album until I was 17 there's a good chance I'd dislike 'em too.

Burzum (overrated)
Cradle of Filth (I too like only 3 of their songs)
Deicide (meh. . . )
Vital Remains (impressive upon first listen, after a while gets progressively less impressive loolz)
Obituary (could never really get into these guys)

Almost all Death metal bands. If a band cannot/will not play melodicly I tend to just find them boring. Obscura and Quo Vadis I love, but Canibal Corpse? I get bored after 20 seconds regardless of how powerful or technicaly impressive the music is.

well if you're MORE musically inclined you'd rather NOT listen to tonal music as much.

to the trained ear, all you hear is

vi.... IV.... V.... vi.... /yawn

when you listen to death metal it's a break from automatically analyzing how shitty and uncreative 90% of tonal music is.