bands you want to see for 2013

How about them Widow, especially now that they won't be in the Midwest portion of the White Wizzard tour?? :p

I would say as long as they ask for nothing on top of expenses, then sure....

Decent band, but not one that I would recommend they take resources out of their budget to book. Just my opinion though.......

I would say as long as they ask for nothing on top of expenses, then sure....

Decent band, but not one that I would recommend they take resources out of their budget to book. Just my opinion though.......

Gotcha. Out of curiosity, of the bands who played last year, which ones would you be "ok" if they asked for something on top of expenses?

I just can't help but want to compare...

I saw St. Vitus twice in one week in May/June, two different cities, two different times, two different settings, two different crowds, two shitty shows.

Gotcha. Out of curiosity, of the bands who played last year, which ones would you be "ok" if they asked for something on top of expenses?

I just can't help but want to compare...

I seriously did not mean any disrespect to the band by any means.
It just seems like budget is a MAIN concern for the promoters.

I think for any festival who is still in its formative years, the $$$ would have to go towards a true drawing band or an oddball band that would bring in a different crowd.

For this type of fest, there are enough midwest and local bands who would play for expenses or even free who would have the same impact to the overall fest pacakge as WIDOW (That's the main point I was making).

I do know the guys are offering sponsorship opportunities, so if its a band you all want to see, get some folks together to pledge and it could happen.

As far as the band, yes, I do agree they would be a great fit for the fest.

I seriously did not mean any disrespect to the band by any means.
It just seems like budget is a MAIN concern for the promoters.

I think for any festival who is still in its formative years, the $$$ would have to go towards a true drawing band or an oddball band that would bring in a different crowd.

For this type of fest, there are enough midwest and local bands who would play for expenses or even free who would have the same impact to the overall fest pacakge as WIDOW (That's the main point I was making).

I do know the guys are offering sponsorship opportunities, so if its a band you all want to see, get some folks together to pledge and it could happen.

As far as the band, yes, I do agree they would be a great fit for the fest.

No worries, I didn't take it as an insult. I was curious, nothing but that. I completely understand it from a promoter's point of view, but it's also hard to expect a band to travel from afar covering all expenses for a show that's still considered small and developing its following. (no disrespect to the festival whatsoever)

No worries, I didn't take it as an insult. I was curious, nothing but that. I completely understand it from a promoter's point of view, but it's also hard to expect a band to travel from afar covering all expenses for a show that's still considered small and developing its following. (no disrespect to the festival whatsoever)

Of course man. Everyone has bills to pay and no one can do it 100% for free.

Speaking only for myself, if I were promoting a festival, my personal guarantee budget would be reserved for bands who were either a guarantee draw for the core audience or one that would bring in the "fence sitters" (IE - usually the bands considered to be the oddball).

Any punk band from the '80s begs to differ.

I'll gladly take most of the 80's stuff over the 70's punk. Sex Pistols and their kind are massively overrated.
That said.....your words are obviously the words of someone who's never spun 'Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes' or 'A Fire Inside EP' ;)

I'm almost insulted that Jasonic thinks that I, a diehard Metal and AFI fan, have never listened to Misfits!

Back on topic-ish: received a tape at Chaos in Tejas from a new band called Graven Rite. Pretty enjoyable stuff -- definitely gotten a few spins from me. I think they're TX based. Might be worth looking into. I'm sure a few will call them hipsters since they've played in non-metal bands before.

Midnight could be a good option for an upper-level band -- lots of hype, not located too far from Chicago, total old-school Venom sound, and fun live show.

I'll gladly take most of the 80's stuff over the 70's punk. Sex Pistols and their kind are massively overrated.
That said.....your words are obviously the words of someone who's never spun 'Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes' or 'A Fire Inside EP' ;)

Fair point. I've only heard Sing the Sorrow, and it didn't do much for me. I have heard Bad Religion's Suffer though, and I can't imagine AFI beating that.