Beer

Do they greet you with bad fake Aussie acccents as well? That'd take the cake. And I'd love to see the decor. Next time I'm in America I'm going there for sure.

I wish they did. As for the decor, wiki says "Boomerangs, stuffed crocodiles, maps of Australia, a reproduction of Ned Kelly's helmet, whips, didgeridoos, and paintings by Aboriginal artists". :lol: I'm sure that's what all of your houses look like.

I brew my own beer and have tried doing cider a few times. Beer is usually okay but cider always ends up strong as fuck and with really sharp tangy flavours.

I wish they did. As for the decor, wiki says "Boomerangs, stuffed crocodiles, maps of Australia, a reproduction of Ned Kelly's helmet, whips, didgeridoos, and paintings by Aboriginal artists". :lol: I'm sure that's what all of your houses look like.

It's like they took a snapshot of my loungeroom. :D:loco: Ned Kelly helmets are reserved for only the most classy Australian folk though.

I'd highly recommend:

Unibroue Maudite (fucking incredible, smooth, delicious)
Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Ale
Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout
Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale
Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter
Young's Oatmeal Stout
Wytchwood Hobgoblin Ale
Newcastle Brown Ale (cheap, available, but tastey)
Arrogant Bastard Ale
Belhaven Scottish Ale
Young's Double Chocolate Stout
Guiness Extra Stout
Unibroue Trois Pistoles

Ah, I also like Fat Tire. You can only get that out west though..
Almost every bar in the city has it here, and many have it on tap. I'm guessing that before too long it will make it further east. Like Blue Moon, it seems to have really good sales with casual craft beer drinkers.

I'd highly recommend:

Unibroue Maudite (fucking incredible, smooth, delicious)
Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Ale
Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout
Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale
Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter
Young's Oatmeal Stout
Wytchwood Hobgoblin Ale
Newcastle Brown Ale (cheap, available, but tastey)
Arrogant Bastard Ale
Belhaven Scottish Ale
Young's Double Chocolate Stout
Guiness Extra Stout
Unibroue Trois Pistoles
Great list. I don't think we get Arrogant Bastard here (or if we do, it sells out fast), and I haven't had Hobgoblin Ale or the Scottish Ale yet. All the other ones are good choices.

On a side note, if you want to enjoy your beer, have it with food, not to party or "relax." If you're just in the mood for a buzz, go with something cheaper... don't pay out the ass for an imported or indie beer unless you plan on enjoying it. Dark beers, ales, stouts, porters, etc. go great with chocolate, red meat and potatoes, etc. Light beers and lagers tend to taste better with lighter meats and sides, like chicken, pork, steamed vegetables, etc. Ultimately you'll have to develope your own taste through experience.

For those who drink beers (lagers, ales, stouts, etc.), what is the appeal of the flavor?

Everything I have tried is quite bitter, or doesn't taste at all like what the bottle says (ex: cherry wheat (Sam Adams), or chocolate double stout). Is it the subtle flavor that makes it so great in contrast with the bitterness, or is it not bitter to you ladies and gents at all? I really wish I could get beers to "click" with my taste buds.

A lot of the flavor in most beers comes in the aftertaste, or in the foam of the head. It's often quite subtle.

Alot of "macrobrews," or coorporate beers, tend to taste alike and are extremely watered down. Though they tend to be more pricey, imports and "microbrews" tend to offer much more complexity and subtletly. The chocolate stout, for example, more often than not has only a very subtle hint of chocolate flavor - but if you have with dark chocolate, it really makes it pop. Some beers are very heavily flavored as advertised - Rogue's Hazelnut Brown and Sam Smith's Nut Brown Ale, for example. They burst with nuttiness.

Beer, particularly obscure "micro" beers and European imports, are often an acquired taste. Like anything, it's not for everyone.

Almost every bar in the city has it here, and many have it on tap. I'm guessing that before too long it will make it further east. Like Blue Moon, it seems to have really good sales with casual craft beer drinkers.

Great list. I don't think we get Arrogant Bastard here (or if we do, it sells out fast), and I haven't had Hobgoblin Ale or the Scottish Ale yet. All the other ones are good choices.

Blue Moon is pretty popular because Coors can afford to make it more available. I'm not sure about your thoughts on it, but it's pretty average imo.

I'm somewhat surprised you can't get your hands on any Arrogant Bastard Ale. It's everywhere here in Indy.

On a side note, if you want to enjoy your beer, have it with food, not to party or "relax." If you're just in the mood for a buzz, go with something cheaper... don't pay out the ass for an imported or indie beer unless you plan on enjoying it. Dark beers, ales, stouts, porters, etc. go great with chocolate, red meat and potatoes, etc. Light beers and lagers tend to taste better with lighter meats and sides, like chicken, pork, steamed vegetables, etc. Ultimately you'll have to develope your own taste through experience.

My uncle loves to eat chocolate chip cookies with beer. I on the other hand can't eat and drink at the same time. Just something about it makes my stomach feel weird.