Beer

so one of the local well respected beer bars in the area is having a sour beer fest all week. Here's what I had tonight: Russian River Compunction, Cantillon Fou'Foune, Lost Abbey Double Framboise de Amorosa and Ommegang Rouge Batch 1. All were outstanding. The Compunction wasn't as intense as I thought it would be. Fou'Foune is an apricot lambic, and it definitely showed...very fruity. LA Double Framboise de Amorosa and Rouge Batch 1 were both outstanding, with the former being practically sour raspberry juice.

Here's the master list http://www.beachwoodbbq.com/sourfestbeers.html

Friday night is Cascade Brewing Night which I'm really stoked about...Cascade makes some of the best goddamn sour beers, so it's going to be outstanding

That's honestly fucking dumb. They really should just stick to what they're good at. If I ever see that black lager around here I'll get the smallest pack possible just to say I tried one of the dumbest ideas of all time, but...seriously. Guinness. No. Don't do that. Stop making things that aren't draught or foreign extra.

I think that all Guinness is pretty generic when compared to other beers. I actually prefer the taste of Smithwick's to Guinness.

Guinness Foreign Extra is a good generic though. Hoppier-than-usual stout with all the regular taste of a nice Guinness draught.

Can't wait for this Saturday; doing an Oktoberfest/harvest/Autumn seasonals beer tasting with friends.

I was making a joke.

But Harp is actually made by the same company as Guinness, Boddington's is pretty bad, agreed; but I would absolutely rather drink Newcastle than Guinness. Newcastle is a good generic brown.

Tonight I picked up a sixer of Hoegaarden, a sixer of Leffe Blonde, 2 bomber's of Arrogant Bastard Ale, & a bomber of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I'm familiar with everything except the Leffe Blonde. I just looked up the reviews, and they look pretty average. Hopefully it will surprise me. One of my local stores now has Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale sixer's for $15.99. To those who have had it, is it really that much better than the regular version?

I strongly prefer the Oaked AB to the regular or the double one. It's really good, but I never buy Stone unless it's at a bar. Too overpriced.

Leffe is good for a mass produced beer. It's something like 6.6%, so it'll sneak up on you.

Tonight I picked up a sixer of Hoegaarden, a sixer of Leffe Blonde, 2 bomber's of Arrogant Bastard Ale, & a bomber of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I'm familiar with everything except the Leffe Blonde. I just looked up the reviews, and they look pretty average. Hopefully it will surprise me. One of my local stores now has Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale sixer's for $15.99. To those who have had it, is it really that much better than the regular version?
The oaked is worth a try once, but I don't think the value is there. Hoppy beers in general don't taste as good after aging (since hops taste better fresh).

Tried the Leffe Blonde, I like it. It tastes a lot like Fleur by Goose Island. I would definitely go for Duvel or Delerium before this for a Belgian Ale, but for the pricepoint it is very good. I got the sixer for $7.99 by the way, where as a 4 pack of Delerium is $17.99.

Had a crazy first-half of an Oktoberfest/Fall seasonal/pumpkin beer tasting tonight. Here's the list for the night (shared 7-8 ways, depending on who was around; some people came/went):

Paulaner Oktoberfest
Becks Oktoberfest
Narragansett Fest
Hofbrau-Munchen Oktoberfest Marzen
Dogfish Head Punkin
Newcastle Werewolf
Victory Oktoberfest
Heavy Seas Prosit!
Spaten Oktoberfest
Ayinger Oktoberfest-Marzen
Hinterland Oktoberfest
Blue Hills Oktobrau
Southern Tier Pumking
Sierra Nevada Tumbler
Breckenridge Autumn Ale
Woodstock Autumn Ale
Weihenstephaner Festbier
Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest
Harpoon Oktoberfest
Brooklyn Oktoberfest
Sam Adams Octoberfest

We have about double that total to try but we couldn't fit it all in one night :p was awesome and shall be awesome to do the second. We're already planning an extensive, crazy stout/winter beer tasting as well.