Beer

BRtOy.jpg

Avery's Uncle Jacob's Stout. Bourbon barrel aged imperial stout. 17.42%

Super stoked to try this. Purchased from Stearn's Liquor in Long Beach. Poured into Bruery tulip. Mild carbonation quickly dies as the beer is poured. This stuff sticks to the glass like oil. Looks like it too. It is black.

Smells nice. Hot booziness smell is present accompanied by dark fruits (figs, dates, etc.). Some bitter chocolate. Little bit of astringency.

Taste is pretty good. I've had boozier beers before. It's actually quite smooth and well balanced. The fruits and chocolates come through.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly decent. It's thick bodied but drinkable.

Overall, this is dangerous stuff. 17.42% and this drinkable when fresh? Wow. Cheers!

no it's still beer since there's no distillation involved. When you start getting above 20% (and there are "beers" that do), there typically is some form of distillation involved which leads a bunch of beer nerds to argue over whether it's still beer or not. BrewDog's End of History (55%) and Sink the Bismarck (41%) are notorious for sparking this debate

Zeph: it only cost $12.99. I was pretty surprised. I've easy paid double that for beers of lower abv

My comment was more sarcastic than anything...but I for that price it might be worth the money, especially after reading your review there. I doubt I'll ever find it in this podunk city though...

I'm mainly drinking it because I'm working midnight to 8:30 and need something to knock me out so I can sleep for the next few hours. This and a burger should do nicely.

as a side note, I'm getting a pretty nice buzz off of it

sgQfy.jpg

Drinking this (somehow for the first time) right now... really, really good witbier by Unibroue. Amazingly complex, drinkable and smooth with a sessionable ABV as per the style. I think wits in general are pretty boring and one-dimensional, but this was a great buy. Delicious stuff.

Also, new goblet :D

The De Dolle Mad Bitch tripel I had last week blew me away. Easily the best of the style I've ever had.

On a less successful note, Mikkeller did a collaboration with Mountain Goat, an Aussie craft brewery, which I tried last night. An IPA brewed with berries and peppercorn. It was disastrous. Metallic hops up front with an aftertaste like Ribena. Ugh.

buddy and I bottled our barleywine today. Tasted nice and fairly light for a barleywine. Can't wait to try it again in a few months to see how it's changed

ixBZg.jpg

they're one of my favorite styles. American Barleywines can be pretty hoppy, but English style barleywines are more malty and sweet. Both can get you pretty buzzed as they're usually at least 10%abv

also :lol: @ Jimmy

Nothing too fancy but tonight I got drunk off of beer for the first time in a longggg time.

Started with two Leinekuegels Wee Heavy Scotch Ale's, a New Glarus Cherry Stout, New Glarus Barley wine, two Blue Moon Summer Honey Wheat, and two Angry Orchard Extra Dry hard ciders. Thoroughly enjoyed them all, though the Cherry Stout was a little on the weak side for me as far as stouts go.

Any recommendations on that terrain for higher class drinks in the same vein?

Just bought a 4 pack of Young's Double Chocolate Stout. After the positive experience with LH's Milk Stout I'm a little more willing to try this. It's cooling down in the fridge now...can't wait.

summer shandy seems to be a favorite this seasons....haven't tried it myself yet

not in response to your post at all, aojiwegklrlg

Summer shandy is enjoyable after a long day if you have it cold, but nothing out of this world amazing. Hence it being a 'favorite this season' I guess.