Beer

IMG_1498.JPG

deelishous local beer. drinking the noir right now. like Guinness but 100x better.

When I was in Davis CA, a few weeks ago I went to Sudwerk. They make mostly German style beers. Just their basic Lager was one of the best, if not the best lager I have ever had. I also got a 6 pack of O'Fallon Hemp Hop Rye this weekend. It's a very interesting Amber Ale. Also picked up a bomber of Stone Smoked Porter. Haven't cracked that open yet though.

looooove Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout. So the newspaper I write beer articles for has asked me to write weekly beer blogs for them. Guess I'm turning into Andy now

I am. Although I'm getting a pay cut. I was getting $75 an article for the print edition. Now I'll be getting $25 per blog. Still though $100 a month is nice

I've decided that outside of malt liquor, my favorite style are stouts. I've had both the Milk Stout and two different chocolate stouts that were amazing. I would like to delve further into this stout-y bliss.

Trying to get my girlfriend into good beer, as she responded positively to a couple of things I got in the Sam Adams and New Belgium samplers and wants to learn more. Picked up a six pack of Ruination and bombers of Clown Shoes' Tramp Stamp and Brown Angel for the 4th of July; I haven't had any of them before. Should be a good night.

Edit: I'm with DT, stouts are fucking bliss, though I'm really getting into the whole double/triple/quadrillion American IPA style that seems to be trending.

From my trip to Bar Harbor last weekend I picked up a variety pack of the Bar Harbor Brewing Company's finest brews. Currently enjoying their New Guy IPA, which is a typical IPA but nevertheless top-notch. They also make a superb Maine blueberry wheat ale, which has just the right amount of blueberry flavor. I also picked up their Cadillac Mountain Stout, which beat Guiness at a major competition. Very smokey and less smooth than Guiness, and I like it that way.

I noticed the online reviews were not that great, but I picked up some Ommegang Witte & I love it. Totally what I want from a Belgian White, so refreshing.

Bar Harbor Cadillac Mountain Stout is absolutely awesome, Jeremy. Also unknown as hell; I don't know a single other person (except you obviously) who has had it.

Ommegang has let me down with virtually every beer I've had by them, unfortunately. Next wit you get should be Unibroue's Blanche de Chambly.

I'm from Belgium so I have a really large choice of special beers, but my favorite are Chimay Bleue, Leffe 9° and Leffe blonde, Bush ambrée (12°), Triple Karmeliet, Rochefort Trappiste double... It's not cheap, but it's really worth it ;)

Found a local News/Liquor store in Oxford where I can get a 4 pack of Guinness Foreign Extra for 5 pounds. Considering all the other beers are like 3.5% abv and the FE is 7.5 I had to jump on it.

Belgian guy: C'MON man, you're IN fucking Belgium and your favorite beers include Leffe? </beer snob>

no but seriously there are a million zillion beers that are amazing coming from tiny Belgian brouwerijs and abbeys.

Had a really nice black IPA from some small Wisconsin brewery called New Glarus (whom I hadn't heard of before) last night. I don't want to fuck with a full review, but it's worth checking out if you get the chance. They have a few awesome looking fruit beers that I'm going to have to check out next time I'm up north enough.

Also, this outlet store in my city with a pretty neat beer selection seems to think I'm 21, so I'm going to be blowing a lot more money that I don't have on shit there. I still haven't had a bunch of the well known Trappist stuff from Chimay and Westmalle, so that's up first.