Beer

I saw Sam Adams Norse Legend Sahti at the store, and I had to get it, because I've never had any Sahti before. I also bought some mead. They had several different brands of mead offerings, none of which I'd seen last time I was there, or ever.

I really like obscure and historical styles. That sahti is very solid. I made my own once and it was one of my better experimental brews.

I'm not going through 104 pages worth of posts, but if this hasn't been posted, than it damn well should have been

stone-old-guardian-header-575.jpg

It's a Barley Wine Style Ale

It has a nice thick head; powerful aroma of malts, but in a pleasant way; lighter malts up front providing a sweeter flavor, and finishing with a balanced amount of hops, and a hint of darker roasted malts.

So... its pretty malty, lol.

I know it's meant to be aged and whatnot but I bought a bottle of this year's Old Guardian and was rather unimpressed. Actually, Stone's Russian Imperial has been disappointing both times I've had it as well. Not sure what's up with that. Green Flash's Barleywine is easily my favorite West Coast example of the style anyway. Great shit!

Also the SA Sahti was kinda good but not really on-style. High clarity, weird aftertaste and just didn't feel right to me overall. Then again that's only going off research from what a historical "sahti" would've been, and I've also only had Dogfish Head's Sahtea which is kinda different and unique as well. The SA one was pretty interesting though.

I know it's meant to be aged and whatnot but I bought a bottle of this year's Old Guardian and was rather unimpressed. Actually, Stone's Russian Imperial has been disappointing both times I've had it as well. Not sure what's up with that. Green Flash's Barleywine is easily my favorite West Coast example of the style anyway. Great shit!

I know tastes change over time, but Stone IRS was amazing the first couple times I've had it, now I find it kind of middle of the road as imperial stouts go.
As for barleywines, once upon a time I would've said Victory Old Horizontal, but that also, I feel, has changed and not for the better.

Finally got my hands on my favorite local Oktoberfest beer. Should be no surprise at this point that its from New Glarus. Staghorn Oktoberfest. Refreshing, tasty, and doesn't destroy the stomach with sweet factor.

last night I busted out some Russian River sours from my cellar. They've all been in there for about two years. Sanctification, Temptation, Supplication and Consecration. Sanctification changed the most by far. It was unbelievable. Sanctification, when fresh, is already one of my favorite beers. It's 100% fermented with Brettanomyces, so it has a really dry taste. But it's also fermented with Lactobacillus and Pediococcus, which are bacteria that make beer "sour." After two years, the Brett had died away and the Lacto and Pedio were right up front. Huge sour flavors. I was blown away.

Same with Temptation except when it's fresh I don't really care for it. Once it's aged though, it turns pretty good. Consecration hadn't changed that much, and Supplication had actually fallen off a bit, which disappointed me. I'm not surprised though. The wonderful cherry notes that are so dominant when it's fresh just fade away and make the beer rather lackluster with age.

Speaking of cellaring, I'm interested in starting up one but don't think I'll be able to maintain the steady temperature that's required. I've done minimal research, so I don't know exactly how rigid the temperature must be in order to work. Care to comment, unknown, V5?

honestly, as long as you have a dark room in the bottom of your house, that'll be fine enough. I have a room at my mom's that consistently stays around 65F, and it's fine. Yeah, 55F would be ideal, but oh well. For long term cellaring, yeah you'd want something closer to 55F. For instance, I have all of my bottles that I intend to keep for 10+ years in a wine fridge. Everything else, I just keep in boxes in the room. Make sure they're standing upright and that it's dark.

I wrote a whole blog entry about beer cellaring here:

http://www.randomlengthsnews.com/blogs/Dish/2012/07/cellaring-is-not-just-for-wine/

There was some dude named bill squier doing standup at the ship last night. I kid you not. I usually go to gg's on 71st and binford for cheap drinks and ive switched from bourbon and diets to oil cans at my neighborhood bar time out lounge. I did try that preachers daughter from the fountain square brewing the other day at gg's its pretty damn good. I also want to check out the new microbrewery in irvington.

honestly, as long as you have a dark room in the bottom of your house, that'll be fine enough. I have a room at my mom's that consistently stays around 65F, and it's fine. Yeah, 55F would be ideal, but oh well. For long term cellaring, yeah you'd want something closer to 55F. For instance, I have all of my bottles that I intend to keep for 10+ years in a wine fridge. Everything else, I just keep in boxes in the room. Make sure they're standing upright and that it's dark.

I wrote a whole blog entry about beer cellaring here:

http://www.randomlengthsnews.com/blogs/Dish/2012/07/cellaring-is-not-just-for-wine/

Awesome, many thanks. I already threw a couple of things down there a few weeks ago (Victory Storm King Stout, Three Philosophers, Rochefort 10, and obviously Old Rasputin) just in case; glad to see that it will work out.