Beer

8bb612ded9b773fc7e2241360b9cadf5.jpg

went to the bay area and had several beers that don't get distributed outside of that area. Moonlight Brewing is by far one of my favorite breweries that I would kill to have here. Their Reality Czeck pils could easily be the best pils I've ever had. Also had their Death and Taxes black lager and Twist of Fate bitters. All were fantastic. Also had Altamont's Hella Lite session pale lager and a couple of others. Goddamn I love the bay area beer scene

My local groc store had a Kona Brew variety pack assrtd ales and lagers. Never seen or had it before and its actually damn good. Of course a nice pumpkin ale topped off with a shot of vanilla stoli is f'n delectable.

Holy crap! Kona's big wave golden ale is very good taste, defnly the better of this variety imo. Dont mind a bit of citrus flavor but the after taste can be much at times. This one is just right, light citrus ale that's smooth and crisp.

Shiner Holiday Cheer is actually quite good. It is on the cheap side for a craft-ish beer at $7.99/6. It claims to be a dunkelweiss with peach flavor. The wheat and yeast character typically found in a dunkelweiss are not found, but it's fruity in a good way and refreshing. Would drink again, especially since it is so much cheaper than the rest of the market.

Other recent drinks:

SN Bigfoot '12 draft: Way more enjoyable with a year than it is fresh.
New Belgium La Folie: I guess my favorite american sour, though I prefer Monk's Cafe
Sam Adams Chocolate Cherry Bock: Barely tastes like beer, but good.
Sam Adams Juniper IPA: Possibly best of the middling ipas that Sam's is putting out.
Sam Adams White Christmas: Nice winter wit, no worse than other American examples like Bell's.
Dogfish Head Immort Ale: Super boozy, massive depth of flavor. Juniper, maple, vanilla, big malts. Smooth. Go get this

Also, New Glarus is wildly, wildly overrated. It's like Coors when it wasn't available in most of the country. Capable craft beer, with some very good beers and some okay ones. Just like any other mid-sized craft brewery. Wisconsinites have an inferiority complex when they come to Chicago, so they hype up their beer to a silly degree. Good beers mostly, but Spotted Cow is bland as shit, and the fruit beers barely have booze in them.

I have to disagree on New Glarus. Their year-round stuff is solid albeit nothing spectacular, but their thumbprint series generally great. Drank a whole four-pack of the Berliner today, as a matter of fact. Their fruit beers are excellent and full of substance, especially considering the style.

Picked up some random shit tonight. Bruery's Tart of Darkness, which I immediately drank (awesome as always, a bit more complex on the nose than I remember. Oude Tart, also from The Bruery, Pipeworks What Lurks in the Dark and Abduction, and two of each of this year's Juliet and Lolita from Goose Island. I walked into that liquor store with the intention of leaving with a 30-rack of PBR since I didn't expect much. Goddamnit.

I haven't been able to get into Pipeworks yet. Too many damn beers, no flagship beer, and the labels look like they are designed to appeal to 16-year-old stoners. Definitely the worst label art of any brand I can think of and it's not close. It turns me off of the brand.

I did pick up Southern Tier 2XMAS today. Quite good. A real spice bomb brewed to resemble glogg. Super flavorful.

I haven't been able to get into Pipeworks yet. Too many damn beers, no flagship beer, and the labels look like they are designed to appeal to 16-year-old stoners. Definitely the worst label art of any brand I can think of and it's not close. It turns me off of the brand.

I did pick up Southern Tier 2XMAS today. Quite good. A real spice bomb brewed to resemble glogg. Super flavorful.

I was always turned off by their label art as well, and I still don't like it. However, their beers are really solid, even if I haven't had one that has blown me away. I had the Abduction yesterday. It comes off as a nondescript, somewhat bland imperial stout at first, but some really deep, rich notes in thr aroma and taste come out once you work your way through the bottle.

Swore I posted about this already, but went to the corner store and bought beer last week during my shift. Picked up Shiner's Holiday Cheer brewed with peaches and pecans. I'm no beer expert, but that stuff was delicious! Need to stock up on them before Christmas season ends.

Hahaha, strange to see Svijany in this thread. They're kinda disgusting and dangerous.

I'm more of a dark beer, or 'real ale' fan myself... but that looks alright.

We've not been allowed alcohol ads on TV over here for years! :loco:

I really wish we had more cask/"real ales" here in America. A good stout, ESB/mild, or porter on cask is one of my favorite things. So goddamn good

I wish the European imports to the US didn't suck so much either. Pilsner Urquell got a lot better in recent years, especially the ones in the cans, but they are still a pale comparison to the real thing on tap.

yeah. a lot of it is just due to production. I was talking with this couple a few days ago at a bottleshare, and they were telling me about all of these beers in Belgium that often don't even make it out of the city they were brewed in. Be still, my quivering liver