Beer

You guys know of any good sites, videos(maybe a youtube channel)that explains in detail the brewing process, beer history and current trends? Ya know something that would talk about style, ingredients and pairings, etc. And in even more detail brand styles, national programs and brand strategy?

the Brewmasters show on Discovery was pretty cool. They don't go super in depth into the different styles, but they talk a lot about the process. Plus Sam Calagione is a cool guy

Fuller's London Porter is almost perfect

fullers_london_porter.jpg

Favorite beers thus far for casual consumption are good ol Guinness, Shiner Black, and Atwater Vanilla Java Porter. Summertime warrants mainly Leinenkeugel and cheap tall cans.

I really don't know how the hell people stomach IPA's.

Yeah he's got it right. And in retrospect I think Atwater is a Michigan brand, so if anyone is interested in a DAMN FINE porter from our lovely bankrupted, smog-covered state, internet order some and give it a try.

Also just remembered.. Young's Double Chocolate Stout has the most fucking amazing head of any beer I have ever drank, and I'm the kind of person who tries new shit VERY often. Give that a try too.

You guys know of any good sites, videos(maybe a youtube channel)that explains in detail the brewing process, beer history and current trends? Ya know something that would talk about style, ingredients and pairings, etc. And in even more detail brand styles, national programs and brand strategy?

You should really just get a kit if you're looking to learn more, they come with instructions and then when you do watch how-to's you know what the hell parts they're talking about.

Of course if this is purely for education there's always google.

I've had the Founder's Cream Ale, that's another damn tasty one I forgot to mention.

And people talk shit, but seriously... Genessee Cream Ale. Every time I see it in a tallboy, it's what I'm gettin. Tasty, individual purchase tall cans are hard to come by unless you can settle for Coors or Budweiser.

Tonight I'm drinking a new beer by Baxter (Lewiston, ME) called On The Count of 3, a third-anniversary ale combining a German hefe yeast with a dose of West Coast hops, clocking in at 7%. It's got the heavy body and chewiness of a traditional German hefeweizen with those plasticy, clovey, banana-y esters and phenols... with a dose of bitter, medicinal hops at the end. Pretty great, and a nice sipper. Been waiting for them to come out with a new beer for a while, and this is solid. Review forthcoming on Original Gravity, which more people on here should read [/shameless self-promotion]

Oops, confused it with something else. I just looked on their website to clarify and I've had their Dirty Bastard and the porter with the lady on the front, the dirty bastard was alright but that porter was soooooooo good. Not Atwater good but in a pinch it's a great brew, more hoppy and sort of roasted tasting than the smoothness of the vanilla java. A beer great for chain smoking.