Beer

It wasn't released this year, much to my dismay. Although, Cold Snap honestly is one of their best wits.

Blue Moon Farmhouse Red - seemed like they were going for a Flanders red? No way. The malt was almost there, but no tartness. A little acidity. Weird aftertaste, but not entirely unpleasant. I don't know.

Haha, I had the same reaction to that one. It was just weird. Like someone trying to make a farmhouse amber ale but without any knowledge of how to actually do so. Strange, but like you said, not too bad.

spaten-optimator.png

Under the Inbev umbrella but still an unusual import around here.

So I opened a Shock Top Honey Borboun Cask Wheat today that had been laying on its side for probably 18+ hours, not sure if that had anything to do with it, but when I unscrewed the cap it released an intense amount of pressure with a loud "BOOOMF" it didn't explode or anything but the pressure release damn near removed my hand from the bottle. What the hell happened?

Ugh so disappointed. My aunt bought me Caribbean beer and I got excited and tried and thought, "heh not bad but I don't really taste any alcohol." Look to see the % and it's 1.2%… man this could possibly get a baby drunk… if the baby didn't eat anything all day. The taste was okay, it was gingery. I just mixed it with whiskey and called it a day. It's called Shandy, if anyone was interested.

Ha I totally looked it up and yep it's basically soda and normally the alcohol percentage isn't enough to be considered an alcoholic beverage. :lol: looks like they took the Shandy and made a spin off of it with different flavors (ginger and sorrel) and just marketed it to a different group. This one was from Trinidad but that shit was soda.

^ Would love to get my hands on that.

I just poured myself a Left Hand Brewing 'Wake Up Dead' imperial russian stout. Pretty dark, heavy, with some notes of chocolate. Has a nitro thing going on too. Pretty solid, and at + 10%.

Cheap-ish beer round-up in order of quality, with price being equal ($9 for 6 beers):

1.) Sprecher IPA2 (squared) - Yeah, IIPA bias here, but after drinking these 12 beers, this is frankly the one I'm most likely to revisit if price is equal. 7.7% is not huge but the flavor really pops with sticky hop bitterness and big syrupy caramel malt. West coast IPA fans may not like, but I dig.
2.) Allagash Dubbel - Way too high quality for that section. Rich malty fruity flavors, smooth.
3.) Pyramid Apricot Ale - I'm a sucker for a fruit beer done right. Super refreshing wheat with a fruit flavor that comes across clean and not cloying. Intoxicating aroma.
4.) Big Sky Trout Slayer - Wheat ale with delicious hop profile. Lemon meringue, vanilla, hint of smoke(?). I want to chug this bottle. Surprisingly good.
5.) Samuel Adams Double Agent IPL - One of their better offerings. Bright hop flavor, light body, citrusy. Reminds me of their Noble Pils.
6.) Zywiec Beer - Malty Polish lager on the sweeter side. Good bready flavor. A notch above average Euro lagers.
7.) New Belgium Skinny Dip - Blonde ale with citrus notes. Very light, refreshing. You won't mind drinking it.
8.) New Belgium Blue Paddle - It's a pilsner. It's not bad, but forgettable.
9.) Flying Dog In-Heat Wheat - Big meh.
10.) Magic Hat Hocus Snood - Some kind of honey wheat, judging from the bee on the label. Bland 'til death.
11.) Harp Lager - One of the crappiest macro lagers out there. Just getting by on the association with Guinness and St. Paddy's sales. I don't think there's ever an excuse to drink this stuff outside of Ireland.
12.) Tsingtao - Scary green bottle/pale lager combo/China combo. I'm not sure if I could objectively evaluate. It did not taste good. Musty, malty, not crisp.

Had a Green Head IPA by Newburyport Brewing Company. It had good bite as well as a 7.7 abv. As i have a job interview in Newburyport today, I'll take that as a good sign. FYI, Newburyport was the inspiration for Lovecraft's Innsmouth. Sweet.

Fishmen just don't know their place.

I just had my favorite IPA yet: Ballast Point. Seriously, it's like a perfect blend of citrus and hops. So smooth and amazing. I shall be purchasing many more in the near future.

Sculpin is really good, but it's about $14 for a sixer here. Big Eye isn't bad either, and quite a bit cheaper.

My ass was displeased tonight by the fact that Kirin Ichiban is now brewed in the US. So many InBev "imports" are brewed here now. Fucking lame.

fresh Sculpin is one of the most delicious beers. I've had it on tap at Ballast Point and was blown away. Have these in the fridge for me and the boys tonight:

Pliny the Elder
Alpine Pure Hoppiness
The Commons Urban Farmhouse Ale
The Commons Bourbon Barrel Aged Little Brother
Firestone Walker Parabola