Beer

Polish beer is not held to much of any regard online, but I find the major Polish brands to all be pretty decent and no worse than macro German lagers. Try the following if you can. They are all easily found in Chicago, not sure about other markets that don't have a large Polish community. "Mocne" beers are more or less malt liquors, but most don't suffer for the boost in ABV. Polish Porters are in the Baltic porter style, and are way richer in flavor and boozier than their American/English equivalents usually are. My brand rankings:

1.) Okocim - O.K. Beer (5.6% lager), Okocim Mocne, Okocim Porter (actually highly rated and really good), Okocim Beer.
2.) Zywiec - lager, and Zywiec Porter, which is only slightly worse than Okocim Porter. Also owns Warka, which makes the nice Warka Strong, a 7% marzen.
3.) Tyskie - Grand Prix lager is good.

Perla, Lomza, Lech, and Tatra are rarer brands you might be able to turn up that don't offer anything too special, but are completely drinkable.

Man, it's great you know all these brands. Actually, I'm drinkin Lech right now but I don't find it really good. Okocim is excellent, Żywiec is quite good, I am really fond of Warka Strong but my favourite one of those you mentioned is Perła, especially Perła Chmielowa, not Perła Export. Tyskie is perhaps the most common brand in our country. I used to drink Tatra and Łomża but now I find them really difficul to drink, as they have urine-like smell, and the flavour is exactly unattractive.

You have to try Żubr (especially Żubr Ciemnozłoty [dark-gold Żubr] which contains mere amounts of honey, and Harnaś, which is widespread around here and it is really cheap. I don't recommend it for exquisite epicure tho.

50.jpg

986_01_7393.jpg

1373142658385c0ed4d3a5a7aaa6e42c9341be6132%C5%BCubr%20ciemno.jpg

Man, it's great you know all these brands. Actually, I'm drinkin Lech right now but I don't find it really good. Okocim is excellent, Żywiec is quite good, I am really fond of Warka Strong but my favourite one of those you mentioned is Perła, especially Perła Chmielowa, not Perła Export. Tyskie is perhaps the most common brand in our country. I used to drink Tatra and Łomża but now I find them really difficul to drink, as they have urine-like smell, and the flavour is exactly unattractive.

You have to try Żubr (especially Żubr Ciemnozłoty [dark-gold Żubr] which contains mere amounts of honey, and Harnaś, which is widespread around here and it is really cheap. I don't recommend it for exquisite epicure tho.
Cheers! I know we get Harnas, but it's sort of hard to find. Can't recall if I've had it. Have to go into the stores where they don't speak English. I don't think Zubr makes it over here, but I'll keep an eye out for it. (We do have Zubrowka Vodka, which is good.) Also don't remember which Perla I've had. Haven't seen the Warka Radler. I generally don't like to pay full price for such low ABV beers even though I do find them tasty, but I might give it a try.

Going back to American beer, I loved the Perennial 17 Mint Chocolate Stout. It's not just a Girl Scout cookie. The mint felt fresh and the stout body was rich and creamy. Amazing stout, bursting with flavor. Perennial is a brewery to seek out for those of you in the midwest. Some of the best Belgians and saisons being made in America, in addition to this and their excellent Sump coffee stout.

Deschutes Pinedrops is out. This might be my favorite IPA by them. As the name suggests, it's a pine bomb. Great. Like this much more than Inversion, and a bit more than Fresh Squeezed too.

Also had a De Dolle Arabier on draft this week. A fine, dry Belgian strong golden ale, with a bit of hop bite and a muted yeast profile. Highly recommended.

Going back to American beer, I loved the Perennial 17 Mint Chocolate Stout. It's not just a Girl Scout cookie. The mint felt fresh and the stout body was rich and creamy. Amazing stout, bursting with flavor. Perennial is a brewery to seek out for those of you in the midwest. Some of the best Belgians and saisons being made in America, in addition to this and their excellent Sump coffee stout.

Deschutes Pinedrops is out. This might be my favorite IPA by them. As the name suggests, it's a pine bomb. Great. Like this much more than Inversion, and a bit more than Fresh Squeezed too.

I'm always a little leery of mint chocolate stouts for the girl scout reason you stated above. Perennial just started distributing to CA a few months ago, so I'll keep an eye out. In regards to Deschutes, in the past two years they've become one of my go-tos. Their Black Butte Porter is nothing short of classic. Love their beers. It's never mindblowing, but it's always good (they're like the Sierra Nevada of the PNW)

Beer Geek Breakfast is worth the price of entry. Love it (and the rest of the permutations of it that I've had the chance to acquire).

Yeah, it's great. I have never seen any of the other versions here in Florida, but I will keep looking for them because I see many other beers from the brand.

Recently tried the classic and odd-year versions of Stone Brewing's Russian Imperial Stout. The chai spice of the odd-year version was interesting.

Loved the chai-spice one. I just split a bottle of the 2015 W00tstout with friends Saturday evening. Bought another to age for a half year or so to see if there's less heat over time, as it was pretty dang boozy.

I'm also hoping to see a wider variety of beers from Ballast Point, Wicked Weed, Bell's and a few others here soon. I really wish there was better distribution in Florida because even companies who ship are not willing to ship to this state.