Beer

The St. Bernardus is the best I've had out of the Belgians, but I still haven't made it through all the trappists, and a lot of the farmhouse styles. Belgians are an expensive taste. I've pretty much resorted to the Unibroue and Ommegang knockoffs except for special occasions.

I prefer wine over beer any day, but the best beers I've had were in Europe. Among them Wartburger Pils and Pilsner Urquell.

I agree about Wine.

It's by far my favorite beverage. It doesn't make you bloated, like beer does, and it doesn't make you numb, like liquor does. It gives you a calm buzz, and goes well with food.

David Bruce 05' Pinot Noir FTW! :cool:

My cat is named Merlot (he's a red tabby). I like all types of wine, except for plumb wine. Too sweet.

I had some fine rieslings in Germany.

Could you recommend some quality producers? It's a shame that just recently I became an avid Wine fan, when I have been to Germany many times in the past.

Of German beer? I say if you can get it Parkbrau Pirminator its a double bock brewed in Pirmasens Germany. Schneider Weise is really good along with Hacker-Pschorr Hefe Weizen and Franzkanier Hefe Weizer, along other great Wiess beers like Ayinger and Maisel.

I know it's a matter of taste but I really have to question how many Belgian ales you have actually tried to make an off-the-wall statement like that.
Theres only a limited amount of Belgium beers I can try in the states without actually going to Belgium. Hoegaarden tastes great imo

I'm not trying to be a hard man here. However, assuming you don't just drink beer solely for the "sweet taste" is it actually possible to get drunk from beer unless alcohol is new to you? I can drink upwards of 12 beers and not feel anything but burpy and bloated. Such a drunken level is just as easily achieved with a glass or two of bourbon. To me, all alcohol is putrid and thus I want to achieve the maximum intoxicating effects from every vile yet worthwhile sip.

I thought Illinois had great distribution? That blows.
No, there are are actually really no problems as far as getting Belgians here. You can get all the trappists aside from Westy with relative ease, and many others are not all that hard to find, either. The main distribution obstacles come from Wisconsin and Michigan, oddly enough. I would also like to be able to get more West Coast beers than we do, but it could be worse.

I'm not trying to be a hard man here. However, assuming you don't just drink beer solely for the "sweet taste" is it actually possible to get drunk from beer unless alcohol is new to you? I can drink upwards of 12 beers and not feel anything but burpy and bloated. Such a drunken level is just as easily achieved with a glass or two of bourbon. To me, all alcohol is putrid and thus I want to achieve the maximum intoxicating effects from every vile yet worthwhile sip.
Judging by the fact that you need 12 beers to get drunk, and you think all alcohol is "putrid," you must be drinking the wrong beer. Unless you weigh 300 pounds. Check this thread for lots of great beer recs.

I had Anchor Liberty Ale tonight, and it was excellent. Anchor Steam, otoh, was not as good as I remembered. Might try again sometime to make sure. The finish just seems way off.

Judging by the fact that you need 12 beers to get drunk, and you think all alcohol is "putrid," you must be drinking the wrong beer. Unless you weigh 300 pounds. Check this thread for lots of great beer recs.

I had Anchor Liberty Ale tonight, and it was excellent. Anchor Steam, otoh, was not as good as I remembered. Might try again sometime to make sure. The finish just seems way off.

Let's look at this mathematically. I weigh 62kg. Translated to those stuck in the imperial age as 136.68 Pounds. As if there is such a thing as the "wrong beer" when the alcoholic percentage varies from around 4 - 6% within my beer experiences. With Bourbon being 37 - 40% in alcoholic content it's no contest as to who wins in the drunkening department. I'll give you that beer, while remaining personally putrid to my taste buds is less putrid to swallow than bourbon which has of course an undeniable intoxicating advantage that makes such a swallow all the more rewarding. Enjoy your beer, soberboy. Or is it lightweight boy?

comes highly recommended too.

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=dDUmvvn_bIE[/ame]