Beer

holy christ!

last night I had Stone's Old Guardian Barleywine...it's 11.26% and just one bottle of it (1pt 6oz) was all I needed to get a good buzz going. christ. and it actually tasted pretty good...it was like a cross between a stout and an IPA. It wasn't too bitter, but it wasn't ridiculously heavy. I was pleasantly surprised

Indeed, that is an amazing brew. I love it. I like the barlywine style as a whole, but Old Guardian is one of my favorites. Another good one is Sierra Nevada - Bigfoot, though it leans towards an Imperial IPA with the level of hops and bitterness, but still good.

Anyone tried Berghoff's Pale Ale? Well I bought a case of bottles and I'm going to give them a taste test tonight.

Let us know. I love IPAs but tend to be annoyed with the level of dryness and bitterness in plain old pale ales.

i got a growler of the rock bottom peaked wheat. very fruity. like bananas. and very cloudy. this will be the first beer i try with my new drunken chicken cannon
~gR~

@MOL
Where do you shop for your beers? Binny's i'm assuming...
Just curious if theres another store in Chicagoland area that I don't know about.

Yeah it's very much winter over here. Cooper's is ok, there's plenty of better stuff coming out over here though. Mountain Goat, Holgate, James Squire and Three Ravens to name a few are all superior.

Forgot Little Creatures, very tasty hoppy Pale Ale from Western Australia.

@MOL
Where do you shop for your beers? Binny's i'm assuming...
Just curious if theres another store in Chicagoland area that I don't know about.
When I was at school in Evanston there was a really good store there, Evanston First Liquors. Really nothing that Binny's doesn't have, though. At home on the northwest side, I usually just shop at local liquor stores. I live in a really Polish neighborhood, so there are tons of Eastern European imports. Something like Golden Pheasant is actually at the 7-11 here. I've found some odd stuff at 7-11s. I almost never shop at Binny's. Some chains like Cardinal Liquors have a pretty good selection. There are about 3 decent stores within a mile or so of my house, and they all carry some different stuff, so I have plenty of choices usually.

:cool:If you've never been to Kenwood Liquors in Oak Lawn their prices are probably the lowest in the state and the beer choices are nice. Make sure to bring cash tho'.

:cool:If you've never been to Kenwood Liquors in Oak Lawn their prices are probably the lowest in the state and the beer choices are nice. Make sure to bring cash tho'.
I've heard about that place. The cost of gas to get there probably doesn't make up for the price difference. It's still Cook County, right? I bought a bottle of bourbon for $9.99, and the total ended up being $11.94. That's just about 20% tax. Ridiculous. I think liquor must have a higher tax rate than beer.

I've heard about that place. The cost of gas to get there probably doesn't make up for the price difference. It's still Cook County, right? I bought a bottle of bourbon for $9.99, and the total ended up being $11.94. That's just about 20% tax. Ridiculous. I think liquor must have a higher tax rate than beer.
Yeah Oak Lawn is Cook County. Google Kenwood Liquors ,i'm pretty sure he has another location in the city too. The place is crazy around any major holiday. People swarm the place and police are needed to direct traffic. Also they have shopping carts so you know they are the real deal.