Beer

To me Guiness is like a fake good beer. Like a corporate attempt at making a good beer, and most Budweiser drinkers believe them. But when I drink it, it's weak and watery.

I assume that the origins of Guiness are more pure, but that's my experience.

I am going out to eat tonight, to a plce that serves good beer. I will probably have a Delerium Tremmons.

To me Guiness is like a fake good beer. Like a corporate attempt at making a good beer, and most Budweiser drinkers believe them. But when I drink it, it's weak and watery.

I assume that the origins of Guiness are more pure, but that's my experience.
Agreed. It's really not a very good beer. So little flavor. I think Beamish stout is better, but I'd rather stick with good American stouts.

OK so every Monday I cook something for my parents. For next week I've decided to make Bigos, the Polish national dish. It's a meat stew with loads of sauerkraut. The recipe I'm making recommends I serve it with mead or ale.

Now assuming I can't find mead at Shaws (large supermarket chain), what's the best ale I can get there? Something from central Europe would be preferable.

I'm a beer noob, and I'm all about pairings. I've mastered wine pairings so now I need the basics on beer. Thanks!

Started a bottle collection in my garage a few months ago and this is what i've got already.
DSCF1572.jpg

DSCF1574.jpg

OK so every Monday I cook something for my parents. For next week I've decided to make Bigos, the Polish national dish. It's a meat stew with loads of sauerkraut. The recipe I'm making recommends I serve it with mead or ale.

Now assuming I can't find mead at Shaws (large supermarket chain), what's the best ale I can get there? Something from central Europe would be preferable.

I'm a beer noob, and I'm all about pairings. I've mastered wine pairings so now I need the basics on beer. Thanks!
Curious recommendation, for an ale. Eastern/Central Europe is not known for ales whatsoever. Pale lagers and pilsners dominate, and most German beers are lagers.

As far as ales go, the best Polish ones I've had have been Baltic porters, a high abv style, with some or all of the following dark flavors: roasted/burnt malt, smoke, coffee, chocolate, toffee, caramel, molasses. Something completely different would be a hefeweizen (German wheat beer). These are marked by crisp wheat, banana, and clove flavors, and they are good thirst quenchers.

Of course, whatever source you have might just be using ale synonymously for beer (not the case). Something like Beck's is a decent enough beer to go with sauerkraut and sausage. If you can find Polish beer, Okocim O.K. beer, Zywiec, and Tyskie are fine. They're all similar enough, being basic Euro pale lagers (think Heineken or Stella). Okocim makes the best Polish beer. If you can find Okocim Porter, it would actually make an excellent dessert beer.

Went shopping today. Best we could find was Smithwick's imported Irish Ale. Hope it's good. We also got some Stella Artois.