Beer

New beers...

lUfbM7z.jpg

First up: III by OEC, one of my new favorite breweries. They're based out of Connecticut, so I have to trade for them, but they are doing wild, funky stuff. This is a blend of a Belgian style Tripel and a double IPA fermented on brett and aged in Zinfandel barrels. Super dry and funky, but with a interesting malt presence, probably from the Tripel. I don't think Andy cares for OEC but whatever

SHPeUNr.jpg

Next: Disco Pig #5 Kyuri Saki Biru by Black Hog. This was an extra included in the trade. Beer fermented on saki yeast with cucumber and rice. Starts off okay but quickly took a turn into the drain. It's the cucumber. It didn't work. Total drainpour. I'd give it a 4/10

In the glass and bottle in the background is TREAT by Midnight Sun, their imperial pumpkin porter. Dug this out of my cellar to get rid of it. When it's fresh, it's great, but not when it's aged. The pumpkin and spices muddle everything. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't that good either. I drank it anyway. I'd give it a 6/10

1. Did you try that Pineapple Sculpin?

2. I love cucumber. I even loved the Cucumber Saison by Cigar City.

Haven't had the Pineapple Sculpin yet. I'll get there. Cucumber in a saison is good, which is why I was mildly optimistic about the Disco Pig. But something about it just didn't work. I've only had a couple of beers fermented on saki yeast, so maybe it's that? Couldn't say

Reactions: Omni
Hops & hops & hops...

CWPXFA2.jpg

The ones I'm most excited about are Amarilla Gorilla and Floating Worlds...both by two of my favorite breweries

This one's for @Omni

h1SQO9T.jpg

Proper glassware and even included the bottle opener. Pineapple Sculpin is fantastic (thank god). Whereas the grapefruit version really brings out the bitterness, this version brings out the tropical fruit notes...it also tastes closer to the original Sculpin from a few years ago (they changed the recipe after the brewer who made it left). I could see myself buying this regularly. Delicious

Have yet to see the Pineapple Sculpin, but those specialty Sculpins are $13.49 here at the least. Tough to make it more than special occasion beer, but hopefully it turns up as a $6 pint somewhere.

Earlier this week I had an Alesmith My Bloody Valentine. Big flavor at a reasonable 6.66% abv. The Almanac Barbary Coast stout didn't work for me. The oak really dried it out. Also couldn't help getting a Prairie Bomb, even at $11 for a 12 oz. bottle. It's good enough to splurge on. Wonderful balance of peppers, coffee, cacao, and vanilla in a monster of a stout.

We had a beer tasting seminar at work today. The lineup was pretty nice. Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold, Lagunitas IPA, Saison DuPont, Three Floyds Robert the Bruce (Scottish ale), and Ale Syndicate Richie (Baltic porter). A well-done Baltic porter really hits the spot. This one reminded me of the better Polish examples. We also learned that Chicago is the origin of the light beer, with Meister Brau Lite. It was bought by Miller, who of course made their version of Lite famous.

Wish I had ballast point here.

image.jpeg

My choices for the weekend. Ayinger - Urweisse is one of my favorite beers ever, Great Lakes beers are always great. That's a dark chocolate raspberry porter. Never had it before but their regular Porter is my favorite tbh.

Reactions: dwellerINTHEdark
It almost reminds me of a wine more than a beer. I've already drank two since I posted that. Very easy to drink.

I'm too lazy to take a picture but I'm currently drinking Boatswain Chocolate Stout from Trader Joes. It's decent. I loveee the smell, but I barely taste any chocolate in this.

Reactions: Omni
20160223_235741.jpg

Schafly - The St. Louis Brewery
Bourbon Barrel-aged Imperial Stout
10.2% ABV/40 IBU

This was a pretty flavorful beer. I got it from a friend who lives in St. Louis last Christmas. It doesn't reinvent the wheel, but it was quite tasty. The bourbon on the nose was very intense, but it was extremely well-balanced between bourbon, dry tannins, slight hop bitterness and chocolate and caramel malt flavors.

20160217_235203.jpg

Coronado / Cigar City - Jurata

Pronounced "Yoo-Rah-Tuh" according to the bottle, which is a reference to the Polish folk story of a goddess who dwells in an amber castle on the Baltic Sea. This was a very tasty baltic porter with a good balance of crisp dryness, barley and dark fruit flavors.

20160220_200346.jpg

21st Amendment - Toaster Pastry

This is somewhere between an IPA and a hoppy red ale has a lot of word of mouth surrounding it. The can says they named it in tribute of their brewery previously being a toaster pastry factory. I thought it was pretty solid. Nice balance of hop bitterness and bready malts.

20160220_174024.jpg

Dogfish Head - Immort Ale

Sticky and delicious strong ale with flavors of oak, maple and vanilla with a nice finish and slight alcohol warmth.

20160219_184444.jpg

Sixpoint - Hi-Res

Maybe the best and juiciest triple IPA that I've had. I love Resin, and this is just an amped up version of that. Aromas and flavors of pine and lemon with a nice malt backbone.

Hey guys. I joined Untappd mostly to completely abuse it by checking-in every Urquell I have and sometimes other czech Pilsners, but I'd be interested to see what you guys drink and I plan to visit some specialized beer stores in Prague and maybe get some American beers too so that should be fun. My nickname is Alka-seltzer feel free to add me, I have zero friends so far. :(