Beer

20160304_204607.jpg

Cigar City Brewing - Bourbon Barrel-aged Big Sound Scotch Ale

I'm too lazy to say much other than that this rules.

I think I've stated elsewhere in this thread that I think bourbon barrel aging works so well with scotch ales. Beachwood's BA Full Malted Jacket and Alesmith's BA Wee Heavy have been my two favorite examples.

Tonight, I'm drinking copious amounts of Pizza Port's Swami's because it's one of the best go-to IPAs in SoCal. Right up there with Fortunate Islands

I went out last night with my coworkers after quality review. We went to a local place but literally on the other side of the neighborhood which is very different since its Irish. So, there's actually a brewery near me called Gun Hill Gold. Tried one of their beers last night. It was pretty good, nothing spectacular but I'm kind of stoked there's a brewery here.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    221.8 KB · Views: 2
I'm in love with Dogfish Head's 90 minute inperial IPA. Such a great mix of malt, bitter and fruity/honey flavor.

For the So Cal folk in this thread, where do you go for your beer? Any recommended stores?

I live in Hollywood and I work in the valley.

Oh man, if you live in Hollywood, K&L is one of my favorites. Even though their selection is small, it's QUALITY. What's even better is they have some stores in NorCal, and you can order on their website (www.klwines.com), and have it shipped to the Hollywood store for free. Love them. They can get some pretty hard to find shit from time to time. Also, for whisk(e)y, their selection can't be beat

Depending on where in Hollywood you are, Vendome Beverly Hills is pretty legendary (there's also one in Studio City and Toluca Lake). As for the valley, I have no idea.

Regarding Bevmo, I don't think they have a registration fee. If there's a Total Wine, I prefer them. Their selection is a bit bigger and more varied, in my opinion, but both are good midstream choices

Reactions: crimsonfloyd
You know, I always overlook Bevmo. Isn't there a registration fee?

Nope, no fee. And they actually have a pretty huge selection of beer, with even more additions every time is step inside. Also some bevmos are much better than others. But the two we have here an Pasadena are both solid. No Russian River brews though, i hit up WFM for their stuff.

Reactions: crimsonfloyd
20160306_000624.jpg

I'm drinking this in preparation for the Barrel-aged Narwhal in my fridge. For research and comparison purposes. This one is actually pretty good. I'd say that it's one of the better American imperial stouts that's easy to find.

Took some intimate pictures of the first stout I've ever had. By Primátor. (Yes we czechs only drink our pilsners, most of us too proud to ever check anything else). Now I need to taste more of them. I think I will really like this kind of beer but I need to try more.

prima stout.JPG

The second one was a very strong beer from the same brewery. They say it's the strongest commercial brew in Czech, who knows. It tasted like Jack and coke or something. But yea, I kinda like alcohol tbh.

24.JPG

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
What's the alcohol content of the second beer?

EDIT:
10.5% ABV. What does the 24% mean?

What's the alcohol content of the second beer?

EDIT:
10.5% ABV. What does the 24% mean?

It's original extract in english. Basically czechs are used to categorizing pilsners according to the original extract number which used to be marked on the bottles as degrees. Usual pilsners are 10°, 11°, or 12°. When you go to the pub bartenders sometimes ask you if you want a "ten" or a "twelve" meaning exactly this. Like the olden times. However, European Union forbid breweries to use the degree symbol on the bottles because it's incorrect so some of them started using the % symbol which is correct, albeit a bit confusing because ABV is also marked in percents. Some just use the number without any symbol to make sure consumers understand that it's a "twelve" or a "ten".

EDIT: Note that on Untappd some of the czech beers still use the degree symbol instead of percents, but they can't have it on the bottle.

I swear I'm not a shill for Modern Times, but they came out with FIVE new beers this month. Here's the latest...

hoaIVeq.jpg

Modern Times is the only brewery in the US that roasts its own coffee. This is their export stout with bourbon barrel aged coffee beans, and it is delightful. Whatever bitterness and acidity the coffee may have imparted is long gone. Instead what's left is the good stuff. AND this is year round? fuck me