Beer

I've been snatching up Crooked Stave beers from a few local stores recently as they've started to show up around here. I opened a couple of them last night. Here are my impressions.

20160317_210624.jpg

Crooked Stave Artisan Beer Project - Nightmare on Brett
Dark Soul Ale Aged in Leopold Bros Whiskey Barrels with Cherries
9.666% ABV (Oooh, spooky!)

This is amazing. The aroma is funky, slight whiskey, acidic cherry and wood. The taste is quite sour, with barely any whiskey aside from lingering warmth, oak from the barrels and tart cherries. It's amazingly well-balanced. This is one of the best beers that I've ever had. There seems to be quite a few versions of this beer. I look forward to trying more of them if they show up around here.

20160317_204956.jpg

Crooked Stave Artisan Beer Project - Progenitor
Dry-hopped Golden Sour Ale
6.2% ABV

This is awesome too. The aroma is slightly funky, less so than the above beer, with some great aroma hops and the smells of classic Belgian yeast and malts. The taste is somewhere between a hoppy Belgian golden ale and a light sour beer and it works perfectly. I could probably drink this all day. It's lovely.

I have over a dozen other beers by them. If they're even close to as good as these, Crooked Stave will easily become a favorite brewery of mine.

Here's another for you my miss UM. You know what the 16% means already don't you. :)

16.JPG

Reactions: Omni
Crooked Stave is one of my top 10 favorite breweries, by far. I have yet to have a bad beer from them. Vielle is always a good go-to, I always look forward to the seasonal St Bretta's, and whatever specialty beers we get, I gobble up. I was lucky enough to have the Nightmare on Brett Leopold Whisky on tap, and it was absolutely amazing. That and the L'Brett d'Or are my two favorites from them

back from my self-imposed exile, I've made two trips down to San Diego in the past week. Last week was to pick up a 3liter (!!!) sour from Modern Times, today was to pick up a special collaboration beer between Lost Abbey and Wicked Weed called "Ad Idem". It's a peach sour that was aged in barrels for a year. It was good, but the $40 price tag was a bit steep. I think 30-35 would've been a more accurate price point, considering there are far better peach sours for $30 and less

I'm fine with that because Oskar Blues is fine. I was worried because Anheuser-Busch kept meeting with them and trying to buy it.

I actually really like the blue can Oskar Blues IPA, G'Knight and Gubna. The Hoxbox Coffee Porter was good too.

Reactions: unknown