Beer

IMG_3414_zpsel0bnlys.jpg

West Coast Double IPA-- Slight orange scent, but not a very potent smell. The taste is VERY bitter and hoppy. At first, the bitterness is almost overwhelming, but as I adjusted, there was actually a tasty palate. There's tastes of orange peel and grapefruit with a piney aftertaste. Overall, the more I drank it, the more I enjoyed it, but overall it's not as good some of the other double IPAs I've recently (Dogfish and Sculpin).

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
Sculpin is actually a regular IPA, but the Ballast Point double IPA, Dorado, is quite awesome.

This week has been a lot of Anderson Valley products:

IMG_3416_zpsihgvlkon.jpg

Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout: I love this beer. Light, chocolate smell. Thick, chocolately head. The taste is delicious and complex. First is a warm chocolate taste, followed by a sour cherry flavor. Very carbonated and bubbly, making for a very refreshing drink. Has become one of my go-to stouts.

IMG_3419_zpsbt7awp18.jpg

Hop Ottin' IPA: Had this for the first time last night. Refreshing, lemon scent. Flavor is also very citrusy with tastes of lemon and orange. Surprisingly smooth and easy to drink for an IPA, while still maintaining a strong bitter, hoppy aftertaste. Very smooth mouthfeel. Will definitely try again.

Interesting. In what way did it taste different?

It mellowed down big time. Was much more maltier and not as bitter.

Oh and Anderson Valley puts out some good beers. Their Boont Amber Ale and Hop Ottin are probably my favorite from them. That oatmeal stout and their winter warmer are pretty good too.

@Onder and his Paulaner ...... Fuck yes! :kickass:

Last edited:
Reactions: crimsonfloyd
It mellowed down big time. Was much more maltier and not as bitter.

Oh and Anderson Valley puts out some good beers. Their Boont Amber Ale and Hop Ottin are probably my favorite from them. That oatmeal stout and their winter warmer are pretty good too.

Cool, I'm gonna try that. A little more balance is exactly what that beer needed.

Yeah, some DIPAs, souts, barleywines, Scotch ales, dark ales, etc taste better after "aging". Works better with brews that have a high ABV. I have two Rasputins in my fridge from last year, and one from 2015. I also have a few Alesmith brews and a Trader Joes Vintage Ale chilling in my closet.

Reactions: unknown
This will eventually have to change. I can see myself doing another czech 50 easily, but then I will probably have to move to Germany, Belgium, USA, etc.

Snímek obrazovky 2016-04-03 v 5.46.14.png

Reactions: unknown
GG6meNT.jpg

Bourbon O.E. at Smog City. This is one of my favorite barleywines. It's a bourbon barrel aged English style barleywine they release once a year. It's syrupy but smooth. I want to bathe in it. If it were socially acceptable, I'd drape myself in it. Since it's on draft, hopefully bottles will soon follow

Reactions: Omni
So I probably picked up the worst variety pack I've ever had in my life over the weekend. Trouble Brewing Co.

Their Pale Ale and IPA are so devoid of anything that might resemble flavor they were nearly drainpours for me, a practice that physically hurts me. Their belgian white is without a doubt the worst I've ever had in my life.... in that it isnt a belgian white. It's a weak pale ale/ipa... dont know what the fuck they were going for here but ive had every belgian white from Blue Moon to Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier and this is the worst I've ever had, so hats off to them for that. The fourth beer, an amber lager was okay... but jesus fuckin' hell... what a waste of $12.

Today is, apparently, National Beer Day. So I picked up a couple of things...

EkEemth.jpg

Ever since Founders rolled out in SoCal, people have been waiting for KBS. It hit once, briefly, last year, but it's out in full force this year. Admittedly, I've had it a few times and have never been impressed. We'll see. Parabola, on the other hand, is one of my favorite beers. Big, boozy imperial stout. Love it

Reactions: KMADD and Omni