Beer

I hope so. I've had it twice in bottles and once on draft...maybe it's just hype, but I've always been underwhelmed. We'll see. So far, their Imperial Stout and Backwoods Bastard are still my favorite (and CBS, but I've resigned myself to never getting a bottle of it)

Reactions: Omni
Recent tastings:

IMG_3424_zpsv4jdquv8.jpg

Anderson Valley Huge Arker Imperial Stout

Taste of whiskey, chocolate, and black licorice. Nice smokey, aftertaste. A little too strong on the barrel and too weak on the stout dimensions, and sugariness burnt me out after a while. That said, I should note that I'm not the biggest fan of sweet hard liquor.

IMG_3427_zpsjna1iiho.jpg

Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout

Very good chocolate stout. Strong smell of pure cocoa power. Tastes of sweet chocolate with a refreshing aftertaste. High carbonation, which makes this almost like drinking a chocolate soda. I'd prefer it a little less sweet and a little more bitter.

IMG_3428_zpsdrtrij5x.jpg

Anchor Saison Spring Ale

Boring. All my notes say are "lemon". Not bad, but I wouldn't recommend.

IMG_3430_zps23998uer.jpg

Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout

This one is really well done. Strong smell of coffee. Delicious flavor of rich, creamy coffee with aftertaste of carmel/toffee and hints of charcoal. Mild carbonation, smooth to drink.

IMG_3426_zps4nsay6aw.jpg

Dogfish head 90-Minute Imperial IPA

This beer is masterful. Smell is of flowers and honey. Taste is first sweet and refreshing with tastes of peach, grapefruit, and honey, followed by a strong, but not overwhelming bitterness from hops. It's so flavorful and well balanced.

Some beers I had on saturday. Nothing too special. A blueberry-flavored version of Páter by Černá Hora, a beer that I drink very often in my favorite bar but never had this blueberry shizzle. It was actually good, the flavor was very subtle. Then another top-fermented beer by Permon, I've already had many of their beers. I prefer their IPAs to this winter ale but eh, why not. The third one is a 14oe pilsner lager from Pardubice called Taxis.

DSC00911.JPG DSC00914.JPG DSC00917.JPG

Just landed at Cigar City. Currently having Milk Stout was a Bad Choice. A chocolate milk stout at 5%. It's alright, but definitely won't be the highlight of this trip. Just found out there are two bars here and I'm at the one with a more limited selection. Will be relocating shortly.

Reactions: unknown
Last beer here will be the Stiftung Berliner Weissbier. Closest thing to a sour they've got. It's pretty solid. Scent is funky. Taste is definitely sour. Easily the best of the three brews I had here. And I'm actually a fan of the 3.4% Abv.

Guys I'm sorry but excuse me this might be the best czech IPA I've had so far. Matuška does them well but this.....

DSC00933.JPG

20160415_214456.jpg

Founders Brewing - KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)
12.4% ABV / 70 IBUs

This is a good beer, but it's a tad overrated. I honestly like the regular Breakfast Stout more. It's got everything that I like about the base beer, but the barrel aging leaves a bit to be desired. I like it, but I would put Sunday Morning Stout ahead of this beer any day as I've stated before. I wouldn't follow a truck to buy this beer, although this year's version is pretty solid overall.

Reactions: Onder and unknown
KBS and breakfast stout are completely different recipes, FYI.
I agree though with the overrated comment. I love founders beers in general and was excited to try it (had last years version) but came away a bit disappointed.

Yeah, I know the brewery makes a slightly different base beer, but it's definitely not a completely different beer recipe with nothing in common with the regular Breakfast Stout.

I actually prefer the imperial stout to KBS and the regular breakfast stout

I'm hungover this morning. In San Jose hitting up some beer spots. Finally made my way to Sante Adairius Rustic Ales (SARA) yesterday on the way up. Even though I've had their beers plenty of times, I've never visited the brewery. Had a couple of IPAs (Simpleton and Tied Knot). Tied Knot was made with oats, which is a new trend I've been noticing in IPAs. Also had their oak aged grisette, Lady in Grey, which was fantastic. Afterwards, went to Original Gravity with friends up here and had several beers too many...all by Faction and Fieldwork, two of my favorite Bay area breweries. Then we went and got a bottle of Drie Fonteinen gueuze and split it three ways.

my head (and wallet) hurts

Yeah, the regular Imperial Stout is awesome. It's pretty easy to find even though it is a limited release.

Started going through this yesterday. Kocour brewery. I loved their Samurai IPA and smoked IPA. Out of this selection, the light pilsner was quite average. The dark lager was very good though.

Screenshot_2016-04-16-19-19-08_com.foursquare.robin_1460870527414.jpg

Been loving these two beers from Stone Brewery lately:

IMG_3448_zpsrcgl9pj0.jpg

Pataskala Red IPA

Strong scent of citrus and marijuana. Taste of lemon, tangerine, and resin. Strong, bitter aftertaste, but not over the top. My only real critique is the body is a little on the watery side.

IMG_3450_zpswhhspxug.jpg

Xocoveza

This stout is basically an alcoholic Mexican mocha. Phenomenal bouquet of roasted coffee beans, chocolate, and chile. Tastes like a Mexican mocha made with water. Tastes of chocolate, coffee, mint, cinnamon, pepper, and an aftertaste of coffee, chocolate and vanilla. Smooth and refreshing mouthfeel.