Beer

Aww yiss. Muh'fuggin __________ Sculpin. I would personally skip the Watermelon Dorado. It didn't do anything for me, personally. It tastes like a watermelon jolly rancher, and Dorado is such a good beer by itself.

So I waited in this line yesterday for a brewery-only can release at a local brewery, Monkish:

6Z3GEgX.jpg

That was my actual view from where I was in line (#115 approximately). If you're curious, the brewery is up on the left, second building. So it wrapped around to the other side of the parking lot. Limit was 2 four packs. They actually cut sales off about 20 people after me. We showed up an hour prior to opening. Line was ridiculous. That being said, it moved pretty quickly. Only took about 20-30 minutes to get the beer.

The loot...

FJcEG4o.jpg

Already tried a can yesterday, and it's fucking fantastic. Will take a picture of one tonight with tasting notes.

Ahh thanks. Glad I didn't get it then. I don't like when things are too sweet and jolly rancher flavor doesn't sound appealing. :lol:

Damnnn that line! So crazy glad you made the cut. Seems like it was worth it. Whenever you get a chance definitely post how it tasted.

And here it is

g9DJ7uT.jpg

The reason why people (including myself) are going apeshit for this beer is because it's a great example of an East Coast IPA, and this west coast brewery has nailed the style, which is especially remarkable since this is only their third IPA. The style is marked by the appearance and flavor. The appearance is cloudy and opaque. It looks like orange juice, which leads into the flavor. The East Coast style is more "juicy", whereas west coast IPAs tend to be more fruity and dank...or piney. This beer also utilizes some of my favorite hops (Nelson, Galaxy, and Citra). Fantastic

For me, East coast IPAs are the best in the style. Sixpoint Resin and Hi-Res are two that I rarely hear discussed that I really enjoy. Their Bengali is also awesome.

Watermelon Dorado sucks. Don't buy it. Mango Even Keel is also dubious but not absolutely awful.

Grapefruit Sculpin, Pineapple Sculpin, Habanero Sculpin (if you can take the heat) and Ginger Big Eye are all pretty good.

Aye, the Grapefruit and Habenero are my favorites out of their bunch there. Then again, I'm pretty against watermelon anything in my beverages.

Picked these up to close off date night.

20160416_164302_zps02vp5xcu.jpg

Reactions: KMADD and unknown
^ A couple guys I know brew (ed) for Summit. Good stuff for one of the cheaper craft beers near here.

Trying to encourage the seasons to shift here by enjoying one of my favorite local Heffe's. The banana and clove on the nose of this one is intense. Would never guess it's 7.2% abv by the taste, comes off as more of a 5-6.

20160423_214539_zpswigzua6m.jpg

Reactions: unknown
^ A couple guys I know brew (ed) for Summit. Good stuff for one of the cheaper craft beers near here.

Trying to encourage the seasons to shift here by enjoying one of my favorite local Heffe's. The banana and clove on the nose of this one is intense. Would never guess it's 7.2% abv by the taste, comes off as more of a 5-6.

20160423_214539_zpswigzua6m.jpg
New glarus is good. I used to get pitchers of that beer when I went to ft mccoy

Checking out Stadin Panimo. At first I was kinda disappointed with the first three beers I had but today was awesome. The APA is like the best 4.5abv beer I've had and the wheat IPA was excellent. Something new for me too, I've never had a wheat IPA before.

IMG_20160428_193156.jpg IMG_20160428_191543.jpg IMG_20160428_185124.jpg IMG_20160421_180407.jpg IMG_20160421_174401.jpg IMG_20160421_172658.jpg

Reactions: unknown and Omni
Wheat IPAs are really good. One of my go-to beers is a wheat IPA, Modern Times Fortunate Islands

New brew Thursday...

BfvkAn4.jpg

First up: Avery Old Perseverance. Bourbon barrel aged Old Ale with maple syrup and dark muscovado(?) sugar...whatever the fuck that is. I'm a big fan of Avery's barrel aged beers, but this, as you would guess, was a big sugary letdown. The thin body and lack of carbonation didn't help either. The $15+ price tag CERTAINLY didn't help. I love bourbon barrel stouts with maple syrup, but this definitely--er--certainly isn't that.

Luckily, I bought a backup...

BLEkcBP.jpg

Modern Times Iron Sunrise, an India Pale Lager. This is made with experimental hop 06277 and Wai-iti hops. I have zero knowledge of either, but I'm very familiar with IPL's. The hop flavor is slightly grassy with a tiny weed nugget on the back. Malt bill is Pils and Vienna, and it shows. Nice, clean biscuit flavor. If this were in 12oz cans, I'd probably buy it year round. Crushable

20160428_164259.jpg
20160428_204729.jpg

Southern Charred Double Bastard and Double Bastard in the Rye were both pretty good. I bought these last year. The price was a bit high overall, but they were enjoyable. I preferred Bastard in the Rye out of the two.

Beer mail!

s5KeSEp.jpg

Two packages arrived today. One containing the three bottles on the left, the other containing the five on the right. One of these boxes was sent by a UMGMD member. Super stoked to finally have a Hunahpu in my collection. Also looking forward to cracking into the Richmond Rye tonight. Only bottle I'm a little iffy on is the Pipeworks Cinnamon Abduction (left of the Wisconsin Belgian Red). Cinnamon can be good, but too much can ruin it. We'll see how it goes...

Was talking to the owner of a brewery down the road from me, and she hooked me up with some of their yet to be released stuff. Nice and boozey whiskey barrel aged ale (from the distillery adjacent to them) with sweet whiskey notes without having too sharp of a taste that a lot of bourbon barrel aged ales tend to get, so I wasn't feeling "done" by the end of the beer.

20160501_214633_zpsamulshfk.jpg

20160503_065521.jpg

Grimm Artisanal Ales - Purple Prose
Sour Ale Brewed with Blackcurrants and Raspberries and Conditioned on Oak
5.4% ABV

This is my first Grimm beer.

It has a nice crisp character and overall fairly mild sourness, which is nice because it doesn't overwhelm the fruit or the dryness imparted through barrel conditioning. It has the perfect amount of carbonation, which makes it quite refreshing and not at all heavy.

Last edited:
Reactions: PhlegethonVeins