Beer

Last night I had a Leffe Blonde, which is a Belgian. I was pretty happy with it.
I think Leffe Blonde is really good. I like the yeast taste of it. It's better then Leffe Brune imo.
Have you tried Rochefort 10? Best Belgian beer I have tasted I think. It's pretty much perfect.

I am not too familiar with American craft brews. Anybody want to recommend me something to start off with? I'm going to go purchase some tasties in a little while.

edit: Just for a little background on my taste I am very much into German doppelbocks and wheat beers.

Wish I could be more help, but I am most familiar with hoppy beers like IPAs. I go to reatebeer.com to do some research sometimes, to take a look at highly rated beers within a given style. Also, as a general rule, I look for a higher % ABV, because that almost always means a stronger, richer flavor. In fact, I often will not even buy a beer if it doesn't have the ABV printed on the bottle.

EDIT: Are you going to Plaza Liquors? They have the best selection. Bevmo is pretty good too. Sunflower market is not bad.

I am not too familiar with American craft brews. Anybody want to recommend me something to start off with? I'm going to go purchase some tasties in a little while.

edit: Just for a little background on my taste I am very much into German doppelbocks and wheat beers.
Unfortunately there aren't many brewers who try a lot of German styles, and even fewer who do them better than the Germans. Capital Brewery does German styles, but I would guess they are not readily available to you. There are many American Pale Wheat Ales out there, but I find most to be either mediocre or not to my tastes. If a hoppy hefeweizen sounds appealing, some of these will be to your liking. Others are just American attempts at hefeweizens.

Actually there are several good American witbiers. Try: Allagash White, Great Lakes Holy Moses, Ommegang Witte, and surely more regional ones.

The heart of American craft brewing is essentially "extreme" beers, so you might look into some IIPAs and imperial stouts at some point.

Wish I could be more help, but I am most familiar with hoppy beers like IPAs. I go to reatebeer.com to do some research sometimes, to take a look at highly rated beers within a given style. Also, as a general rule, I look for a higher % ABV, because that almost always means a stronger, richer flavor. In fact, I often will not even buy a beer if it doesn't have the ABV printed on the bottle.

EDIT: Are you going to Plaza Liquors? They have the best selection. Bevmo is pretty good too. Sunflower market is not bad.

I moved back to Phoenix and just recently discovered a Bevmo really close to where I'm living, so that's where I'm going these days for my beer needs. They have a pretty good selection, basically as good as the place I used to frequent in Tucson (Beverage House). And I'm with you on the preference for higher ABV beers. Doppelbock is probably my favorite style right now. One of my friends who's a beer fiend like me freaks out that I can drink such high quantities of that stuff like it's nothing.

@Master of Lightning: Thanks for the recs. I'll definitely be trying some of those in the next few weeks.

There is this place near by called Grocery Outlet. Basically discount groceries, based on discontinued items, overstock, whatever. Anyway went in today and they had some tall cans of Hobgoblin Dark English Ale from Wychwood. Haven't tried it yet, but I looked it up and it is said to be pretty good. If I like it I will go get some more. It was only like about $1 per 500ml (about a pint) can.

Mostly this place just has some cheap beer, if anything. Once in a while they will have some good beer cheap. Once they had some Rogue ales. Once they had a TON of Coopers Australian beers. They had three style. One was the Sparkling ale. I can't remember the other two, but the label colors were yellow, red and green.

im drinking the ommengang tonight. i dont like it as much as the avery. its light on the malts and has a weird first taste that blends hops and alcohol. its smooth though, just not my style
~gR~

Update on that Hobgoblin Dark English Ale: It's good.

It's got a nice viscosity and a nice rich (but not strong) roasty malt flavor. Not much hop flavor. 5.4% abv. It's not my ideal beer, but for $3.56 for a 4-pack of 500 ml cans, it's worth stocking up on.

^wow, nice ABV. I typically dislike flavored beers, though. Do you typically like them? I am trying to get a handle on how that flavored beer compares to other flavored brews, and how it appeals to typically non-flavored beer people.

^wow, nice ABV. I typically dislike flavored beers, though. Do you typically like them? I am trying to get a handle on how that flavored beer compares to other flavored brews, and how it appeals to typically non-flavored beer people.
I can find something to like about just about any beer. This one uses pumpkin puree and does not list any spices, so it's very natural tasting. I tend to search out unique and extreme beers. This one has a lot of credibility with serious beer drinkers. The review average on Beer Advocate is very high.