Beer

Budweiser sucks. They only time I drink it is when I'm tailgating and it's ice cold. You should try some Unibroue beers. I'm sure they're a bit cheaper in Canada than here. La Fin Du Monde and Trois Pistoles are both excellent. Next time I get beer I'm going to get something from that brewery.
Alcohol is really expensive here so I have to stick to the cheap stuff.

Had a Big Sky Moose Drool yesterday at the Yard House in Long Beach. Wasn't bad. It's a brown ale, but a bit heavier than a Newcastle...so it was good

THE STONE DOUBLE ARROGANT BASTARD IS OUT...MUST...BUY

I was at Kuma's last night, and they had this new Surly beer on tap. It was some sort of Russian Imperial Porter. I didn't catch the name. It was a disaster. Massive amounts of citric hops plus regular porter characteristics did make a good mix. Then I had an Avery Out of Bounds Stout, which was pretty ordinary. Finished with a Ska True Blonde Dubbel, which was similar to something like Leffe Blonde, with more booze, and a little more spice. Overall, nothing thrilled me. I'll get something better tonight.

Drinking a Green Flash Brewing Co. Barleywine...good lord. I've had the Stone Barleywine, but for some reason, this stuff is really kickin me right now. The alcohol content is 10% (Stone's is 11%), and the taste is very bitter...very hoppy. AcK would probably like it

Just had a Samuel Adams Honey Porter. I really liked it, quite sweet and easy to drink. Maybe my fav Sam Adams.

Now drinking: Nils Oscar Rökporter. This is really good. Rök=smoke. I really like smokeflavored stuff, this kinda tastes like smoked lamb lol.

Drinking a Green Flash Brewing Co. Barleywine...good lord. I've had the Stone Barleywine, but for some reason, this stuff is really kickin me right now. The alcohol content is 10% (Stone's is 11%), and the taste is very bitter...very hoppy. AcK would probably like it

I'll have to look for some of that. I have a bomber of Moylan's Barlywine right now and I am debating with myself about having it. It'a already getting late.

The hoppiest barlywine I have ever had is Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot. I haven't been able to find it anywhere lately.

I'll have to look for that one. funny how I'm not a huge hops fan, but I love barleywines

currently drinking: Sam Adams Cherry Wheat

currently pouring down the sink: Sam Adams Cherry Wheat

seriously...this tastes like cherry coke. it's terrible.

edit: or maybe Dr Pepper? I don't know

SA Cherry Wheat is kind of a chick beer. It's not well-liked. I haven't had it in a few years.

SN Bigfoot is a January release, iirc, so keep an eye out for the '09s then. I think it's way too bitter and too piney. People seem to agree that it ages well. Maybe try it fresh and see what you think, but I'd give it at least a year.

Drinking Souther Tier's Old Man Winter Ale. It could use some age too, to bring out more malt richness. Right now it's a full-bodied ale with spicy, piney hops dominating.

I think heavily hopped barlywines are a newer developement of this hop-happy micro-brew era. I think the classic barlywine style has some hop flavor, but is much more balanced than stuff like SN Bigfoot and apparently that Green Flash stuff. I think Old Guardian from Stone is more balanced, but just very strong. That stuff is like a beer shake!

I don't have the patience to age anything, and although the Bigfoot isn't a very classic tasting barlywine, I don't mind drinking it and thinking of it as a barlywine/iipa bastardization.

I managed to age one about six months, after which it seemed somewhat more balanced. Or I just got more accustomed to that level of bitterness by drinking more (I)IPAs during that time.

Some people have huge beer cellars and tons of stuff sitting around, but I rarely allow anything I buy to sit around for more than a week. Of course, I have numerous beer stores nearby. Some people maybe only shop for beer every other week, so they need to store things.

currently drinking: Sam Adams Cherry Wheat

currently pouring down the sink: Sam Adams Cherry Wheat

seriously...this tastes like cherry coke. it's terrible.

edit: or maybe Dr Pepper? I don't know
I was curious how that stuff was. I heard their Oktoberfest is good, maybe i'll pick some of that up.

so I had a bottle of Stone Double Arrogant Bastard tonight

fucking loved it. beefy and hoppy as hell. made me silly and warm with only one bottle of it. great stuff.

Drank a whole lot of Duvel and Pikes Oakbank Beer the other night, Duvel is very tasty but very potent and the Pikes is a really nice Pilsner-ish drop from the Adelaide hills.

hurray for the holidays!

IMG_1987.jpg

nefarious ten pin
left hand snow bound
affligem noel

spices and honey... eeeexcellent
~gR~