Beer

In other beer news, I tried 2 new things this week, and have another three new things to try eventually.

Stone's 13th anniversary Ale is a very good, strong mix between an IIPA and maybe a barlywine. Stone does have Ruination as a sort of IIPA, but it is really just like an extra bitter IPA. They really don't have a high viscosity, strong, hoppy brew like some other breweries. This is one. Maybe comperable to SN Bigfoot or something.

Samuel Adams put out three new beers in an "Imperial Series". I tried the Imperial White, which is like a strong Belgian whitbeer or whatever. Pretty good, but I though the alcohol taste was a bit strong for the style. I am gonna see if I can age it a year and see how it mellows.

Also picked up the following three bombers from Port Brewing:

2nd Anniversary Ale
3rd Anniversary Ale
Shark Attack Double (or triple) Red Ale

So, went to San Diego a couple of weeks ago (on the 11th). Went up to Stone Brewery, ate in their restaurant (excellent and unique food!) and went on the tour. It was very interesting. After the tour we got samples of four of their beers: Smoked Porter, Pale Ale, IPA and Arrogant Bastard. I had tried them all before, but I still enjoyed it. Also got my 2 Liter Growler filled with IPA. It was a good time.

On the tour the guy named a bunch of other San Diego micro-breweries. I didn't realize they had so many good ones there. Green Flash, Port/Lost Abbey and Alesmith are all there, plus a few others. We got a card from a tour van that runs tours. They do a tour of like 3 breweries. That would be fun.

awesome. I'm going there in a couple of weeks...can't wait.

GreenFlash puts out some great stuff. I've always wanted to try Alesmith's beers, but they're always so expensive

the other night at my favorite bar, there was a rep from new belgium there. I told him I love their beers, and he said there were a bunch of freebies that night. I had a New Belgium Grand Cru in a new belgium tulip glass...it was nice...reminded me of a dark belgian ale. really different from their other stuff (fat tire, mothership wit, etc...) but I really liked it. And I got to keep the glass!:kickass:

Yeah, I like some Green Flash brews. Real good basic strong stuff, and good prices. I think I have had their IIPA and Barleywine.

Around here Alesmith IPA is reasonably priced, and it's a great IPA. Their fancy stuff IS overpriced, though.

I can give you the phone number from that beer tours card, if you like. Not sure if there are more than one companies offering beer tours there.

The only thing I have loved from New Belgium is the Might Arrow Pale. The Trippel and Mothership Whit are pretty good. I am unfamiliar with the Grand Cru style.

yeah the guy said Grand Cru is one of their rare beers, usually only offered at the brewery...it was pretty different from their other beers. good stuff

i havent had grand cru yet. but a local place has most of the new belgium stuff on tap.

IMO the best NB brews are 1554 and la folie. 1554 has become my new standard purchase
~gR~

got this from BA

Greetings!

Are you planning to be among the thousands of beer fanatics descending on Denver at the end of September for the Great American Beer Festival ( http://www.greatamericanbeerfestival.com )? If so, consider this your personal invitation to be among a very limited group that will get the chance to sample some very rare, unique and exotic brews at the inaugural Denver Rare Beer Tasting.

All About Beer, in cooperation with BeerAdvocate.com, created the Denver Rare Beer Tasting as a benefit event for the Pints for Prostates campaign. More than 20 of America's finest craft breweries have already committed to attend this event. They will be pouring some truly one-of-a-kind brews on Friday, Sept. 25th, from 1-4 p.m. at the Wynkoop Brewery at 1634 18th Street in LoDo. What's more is that the legendary brewers who created these phenomenal beers will be on hand to answer your questions.

There are just 450 tickets available for this event. When they are gone, they are gone and so is the chance to say you had a Stone 2008 Old Guardian Barley Wine Aged in Red Wine Barrels poured by Greg Koch or a Stoudt 2007 Old Abominable Barleywine served by Carol Stoudt. You just will not find most of the beers at the Denver Rare Beer Tasting at the GABF, or elsewhere in Denver for that matter. We're talking about beers like New Glarus Golden Ale, the Belgian-style Trappist Ale Dan Carey is bringing from his Wisconsin brewery's first batch in its new R&D series.

These are just three of the great beers slated to be served to the lucky guests at the Denver Rare Beer Tasting. Other breweries expected at the event include Allagash, Alaskan, Avery, Boston Beer, Bison, Dogfish Head, Foothills, Harpoon, Jolly Pumpkin, New Belgium, Pizza Port, Rogue, Saranac, Victory, Wynkoop and more! This event will be the talk of Denver during the 2009 GABF and you can be a part of it by buying a ticket today.

All proceeds from the Denver Rare Beer Tasting go to support the Pints for Prostates campaign ( http://www.ustoo.org/pints ) in its efforts fight prostate cancer. Please help us in reaching men through the universal language of beer!

Tickets for the Denver Rare Beer Festival are $55 in advance and $65 at the door (if any are still available). Admission includes unlimited beer samples, hors d'oeuvres, commemorative glass and the chance to meet some of the nation's top brewers.

Don't miss this incredible afternoon of beer passion. For more information and to order tickets go to http://www.allaboutbeer.com/pints

Attending? Make sure to buy your tickets above and then let other BAs know you'll be there ...

http://beeradvocate.com/events/info/26899

And stay-tuned for a complete list of beer offerings for this event!

Cheers, please spread the word, and thanks for the support!

Respect Beer.

i was already thinking about going, now i'm pretty sure i MUST be there
~gR~

and maybe a kastigation show :)

i think i promised you a shirt with your logo on it. we just printed a new batch hehe
~gR~

OK, looks like my post-THC syndrome was in full swing. We're going to a wedding in Aspen, not Colorado Springs. I will try to see if I can make a trip over, but it's not likely. It will be like Sept 18 and 19 (arriving late on the 17th, leaving the morning of the 20th).

Bitburger tastes like saltine crackers. Pretty bad, but rather cost effective.

Had the Affligem Dubbel tonight. Middle of the road, but it was on sale, sort of worth $6. Have been slowly plowing through Radeburger Pilsners, which also taste like saltines. Had a pack of Southhampton Double White, which poorly masked the boozy content. Eh.

The best thing I've had recently is Leffe Brune, but I'm sitting on Southern Tier Mokah, which I certainly expect to enjoy.

the other day at BevMo, I nearly shat myself when I saw 3 bottles of Stone's Juxtaposition Black Pilsner sitting on one of their shelves. I grabbed two bottles and ran home like it was christmas. This beer is a collaboration brew between Stone, BrewDog and Cambridge brewing. At 10% ABV, it pours pitch black. It's pretty good. The only way I can describe it is imagine a stout or porter but with a super big dose of hops and yeast...then you sort of have the idea. if you can get this, check it out

so tonight's a special night. I opened my Stone Vertical Epic 08.08.08 that I've aged for a year, and it's GREAT. I remember tasting it last year, and I remember it being really yeasty. A year later, and this bottle is nice and mellow. it tastes more like a belgian or trappist ale. the yeast and everything has really mellowed out. outfreakingstanding