Beer

went out to the bar last night and had the following:

Ballast Point Victory at Sea: An imperial porter clocking in at 10 - 11% ABV. REALLY good. You could hardly taste the alcohol in it. Still, because it's a porter, it's definitely a sipping beer. Strong hints of coffee and some nuttiness. Great drink

Stone Vertical Epic 08.08.08: Probably my favorite beer ever. I've had it plenty of times before, but somehow they just really nailed the Belgian style on the head with this one. I get it every chance I can (which now isn't very often)

twas a good night of libations

Alaskan Ale (Amber?) is top notch. Doesn't taste like beer, yet has a weird quality to it that I love.

Stella Artois is my go-to beer.

Been enjoying some quality brews at the Barley Island Brewery in Broad Ripple. Love the Flat Top Wheat and the Brass Knuckles Oatmeal Stout plus they have Three Floyds Robert The Bruce Scotch Ale on tap. Beats walking 3 blocks to the Broad Ripple Brew Pub.

so this wine shop in Hollywood got two cases of Pliny the Elder in today, so I hustled down and bought 4 bottles of that and a bottle of Bitter XX
"The hoppiest beer in Belgium"

I'm thoroughly aroused

Today I picked up the Magic Hat winter pack. The Odd Notion this season is great. A sour brown with a developed hop profile. Tart, but very drinkable. I disliked the fall Odd Notion, so this is quite a surprise. Haven't tried the Lucky Kat IPA or the Howl lager, so I'm looking forward to those. I also am pretty okay with #9 as well.

Had a nice night at the Hopleaf.

Started with a Generator Doppelbock from Metropolitan. This brewery continues to be middling, saddly. As much as I would love to have an awesome brewery less than two blocks from home, none of their beers have been better than a B for me yet. The color was too light, and it just wasn't real interesting. Then again, I don't find most American doppelbocks to be real special. Still waiting for one that is at Optimator or Celebrator level.

Next, I went with Limb & Life, mostly for the novelty factor. (Purely on taste, I was craving an Old Foghorn.) It tasted like iced tea. Best small beer I've had, for what that's worth. Next went with the Stone/Brewdog Bashah, after a sample confirmed to me that it was worth $10 a pour. Was it ever. Easily in the top 5 or 10 beers I've ever had, and definitely the best non-impy stout dark ale I've had. The worst part was having to slam down the last half after last call. This was a phenomenal beer.

^ A friend invited me to check out Three Floyd's brewery/eatery in Munster,IN. I might go there next week, cool thing is it's only a 35 minute drive.

Gumball Head is pretty good from that brewery as well. But man that RTB is a tasty brew. Plus Founders makes a good Scotch Ale as well the Dirty Bastard I think one of your fellow posters mentioned it already earlier.

Oh man, Dragon's Milk is good, but so rich I can't even finish half a snifter.

New Holland Pilgrim's Dole is actually a bit stronger, and something I can drink more of.

Tonight I went out for some Indian (tikka masala with garlic naan, SO GOOD) and got a couple of bottles of Dark Horse's Crooked Tree IPA with my meal. Fucking tasty, hoppy, flowery IPA, just how I like it.

I haven't tried that one, but yeah, Dragon's Milk's is like the sweetest, richest stout you can imagine. Its most interesting qualities are the very slightly charcoal-like texture it seems to have (if you've ever had to drink liquid charcoal/activated carbon for any medical reasons (I once had to as a child when I was overdosing on a medication thanks to a prescription error -- sounds unpleasant but the chalky and porous quality of the liquid makes it interesting)) and its strong whiskey undertones.

Man when i was on vacation visiting/going on the Bourbon Trail Tour in Kentucky a couple of months back there was this Bourbon Barrell Stout in this really old tavern in Bardstown that was amazing! I wish I knew the name of that brew.

recent beers

Mikeller & Brew Dog collaboration: Devine Rebel. Pretty good stuff! Beeradvocate labels it as an English Barleywine, but I see no real difference between it and a regular barleywine except maybe a bit maltier. It's like liquid sourdough. 12% abv the bottle claims. really good stuff.

Bitter XX: According to the label, it's the hoppiest beer in Belgium. Doesn't seem that hoppy to me, but maybe because I'm used to american IPAs and double IPAs. still a really good brew

Lindeman's Geuze: An actually drinkable geuze. Doesn't taste too much like vinegar. I'm still not a fan of sour beers and the sort

Affligem Noel: A delicious Christmas Winter ale. very much like Rochefort #8 and Maredsous. built like a double but more drinkable than some doubles. very good stuff

Yeah, lindemans geueze is the tamest example of the style you'll find. Tho their cuveee rene geueze is more authentic and actually sour and decent priced. Its a style I have come to like, despite not liking many other authentic lambics.
Any-hoo, tonight I had an alesmith yule-smith. Very solid, hearty, unspiced winter brew.

DSCN0134.jpg

first beer for the 21st :kickass:

Leffe's good stuff

the other night down at my favorite bar was a Sierra Nevada night. Had their Wet Hop Harvest which was a nice IPA. They also had Sierra Nevada's Collaboration with Dogfish, "Life & Limb" which was a really interesting beer. It's super rare. the bartender said there were only 5 kegs distributed throughout california. It looked like a dark red ale, but tasted a bit like a hoppy porter. Beeradvocate calls it an american strong ale (like the double arrogant bastards), but it was fairly drinkable

Whenever I read threads like this you guys make beer sound so interesting. I never have any idea what you guys are talking about and I want to understand! Damn my ignorance! Some day someone is going to have to sit me down with a variety of beers and explain this shit to me.

I would like to argue that even some cheap beers can be quite interesting and tasty. I'm actually a fan of the bitter American lagers such as Budweiser, Coors, Pabst Blue Ribbon, and Old Milwaukee. Some lesser known beers that are avoided simply because of the assumption that they are cheap and lacking in quality:
Mihaus Light: Very champagne like
Schmidt's: Strong hoppy flavor; sort of an Americanized Hieneken
Hamm's and Falstaff: Fairly well known lagers in the Wisconsin brewery style.
Point: Great stuff, somewhat like a Lienenkugal's original
Grain Belt: Much maligned for no good reason, good golden lager.

Just joined Beer Advocate and looking to try some new beers. Also I recently split a mix six pack with a friend which included...

Kolmbacher Eisboch
Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale
Midas Touch
Hofbrau Hefe Weizen

My friend took the other two and don't remember what they were. I'm still a beer noob who seems to be attracted to wheat beers.

first beer for the 21st :kickass:

Very nice. :kickass:

Grolsch is my main beer atm, my local favorite bottle shop has a killer deal on cases.

A mate gave me a six pack of nice stuff for my birthday the other day:

1 x Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
1 x Unibroue Trois Pistoles
1 x Brew Dog Punk IPA
1 x Innis & Gunn Original Oak Aged Beer
1 x Monchshof Original Pils
! x Peroni Gran Riserva