Beer

A friend of mine is a sales rep for Budweiser here in Chicago and says they give those glasses to the bars for free. Anyway...

100_2276.jpg

all i could fit in the pic

Stouts and porters are my favorite types of beer. Some of my favorites include:

Rasputin Imperial Stout
Lost Coast Oatmeal "8-ball" Stout
Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout
Gulden Draak (technically a dark triple ale, but it has the heavy taste of a stout)

Hell yeah on the 8-ball. One of my favorites of the style.
I like quite a few stouts...Stones IRS is good. For pure viscosity, its hard to beat Bells expedition stout. Oskar Blues Ten Fidy is awesome as well.

Purchased a Samuel Adams variety pack and have been pleasently surprised so far.

Cream Stout - Good
Noble Pils - Good
Boston Ale - Okay
Coastal Wheat - Okay
Scotch Ale - Didn't try yet
Boston Lager - Didn't try yet

so New Belgium's Ranger IPA is quite the tasty beer. At the bar, there were two "Rangers" (reps from NB dressed in green foresty fatigues), and I chatted with both of them. The gal ranger and I were talking about how the beer is actually rather sessionable for an IPA. The hops are quite mellow.

plus I got a cool glass :kickass:

tonight, I had Duchesse de Borogne...not sure I spelled that right. It wasn't bad. Beer advocate has it classified as a Flanders Red Ale. It was a little bit sour, but it was drinkable. I normally can't stand sour beers, but this one wasn't ridiculous. pretty good

tonight, I had Duchesse de Borogne...not sure I spelled that right. It wasn't bad. Beer advocate has it classified as a Flanders Red Ale. It was a little bit sour, but it was drinkable. I normally can't stand sour beers, but this one wasn't ridiculous. pretty good

Yeah, that's generally considered one of the 'sweeter' sour beers (other then the lindemans line of course, which are bastardizations of the lambic style). Not a bad beer, but I dont think I've bought it more than once.
Anyway...lets see...today I had:
Left hand brewing fade to black export stout. Awesome beer, with a cool, almost 'metal' label.
Avery brown ale...decent brown ale, but its generally not that exciting of a style.
Ithaca cold front: a new (I believe) winter seasonal for them: a dark and almost saison-like belgian style-ale. Wont blow you away, but I like it well enough.

I couldn't stomach Duchesse the first time I had it. It tasted like a bottle of balsamic vinegar. New Belgium's La Folie is much more to my taste.

Tonight I had Capital Brewing's Imperial Doppelbock. I don't think 9% is out of line for a doppelbock at all, so the name didn't make a lot of sense, but I liked the beer a lot. Last night I had Aecht Schlenkerla Eicht, which is an oak-smoked doppelbock. I liked it, but the smoke is so potent that the house smoke character dominates all their stuff.

yeah Duchesse certainly isn't as sour as Lindeman's sour geuze beers, but it's still a bit tart. I can't remember what I thought of La Folie :erk:

in general though I've tended to stay away from sour beers...something about them just doesn't sit well with me

I couldn't stomach Duchesse the first time I had it. It tasted like a bottle of balsamic vinegar. New Belgium's La Folie is much more to my taste.

Tonight I had Capital Brewing's Imperial Doppelbock. I don't think 9% is out of line for a doppelbock at all, so the name didn't make a lot of sense, but I liked the beer a lot. Last night I had Aecht Schlenkerla Eicht, which is an oak-smoked doppelbock. I liked it, but the smoke is so potent that the house smoke character dominates all their stuff.

Oak smoke...sounds interesting. I love their other beers.

And Lindeman's cuvee Renee gueuze is the only beer in their line-up thats true to style AFAIK.

so tonight I had Lost Abbey's Avant Garde Ale. I've always wanted to try Lost Abbey's stuff, but never got around to it. This was supposedly a farmhouse ale of some sorts. Whatever it was, it didn't have too big of a flavor, but it was very drinkable. I don't know if I'd blow $10 on a bottle again, but I wouldn't be adverse to not drinking it. it was enjoyable.

on a side note, Stone Old Guardian 2010 and Sierra Nevada's 2010 Bigfoot are out! Barleywine season! :kickass:

Fuuuuck I miss having more than 5 brands of beer.

I'll rate Japanese convenience store beer by quality, starting with best.

Sapporo, Asahi, Yebisu, Suntory (Premium Malts), Kirin.

This is, perhaps, one of my favorite "easy" beers. "Easy" probably isn't the right term to use, but it's all I can come up with at this moment. What I mean is, if I'm going to a barbecue and I'm supposed to bring beer, there's a very good chance I'm bringing Sapporo. Very accessible, I think, for people who don't normally drink beer to enjoy but still just good enough for those with more discriminating taste to drink. I wish it was a little easier to find, though, as I usually find myself settling for Yuengling when no really good beer is available.

I love a nice cold bottle of Sapporo on a summer afternoon while standing over the grill cooking hot dogs. Maybe having just mowed the lawn.

Schlenkerla makes a smoke beer that's fucking delicious.

This is, perhaps, one of my favorite "easy" beers. "Easy" probably isn't the right term to use, but it's all I can come up with at this moment. What I mean is, if I'm going to a barbecue and I'm supposed to bring beer, there's a very good chance I'm bringing Sapporo. Very accessible, I think, for people who don't normally drink beer to enjoy but still just good enough for those with more discriminating taste to drink. I wish it was a little easier to find, though, as I usually find myself settling for Yuengling when no really good beer is available.

I love a nice cold bottle of Sapporo on a summer afternoon while standing over the grill cooking hot dogs. Maybe having just mowed the lawn.

Yeah, I almost never saw it in America, and even in Japan it's not sold at every convenience store/grocery store. Before I moved here I'd always drop like 8 bucks for the 500 mL big can of Sapporo when I went out for dinner at P.F. Chang's.

Currently drinking Saranac Black and Tan. This is actually the first time I've had a black and tan. Not bad.

edit: Also, I just came back from a favorite bar of mine where I had some Troegs Nugget Nectar (which has been one of my favorite for a while- especially when it's on tap) and I tried, for the first time, Victory St. Victorious, a dopplebock. It tasted really good, but it smelled like shit... I mean actual shit. Feces. Dog shit.

Victory and Troegs are both great Pennsylvania breweries, for any of you who are unfamiliar. Familiarize yourself. Especially Troegs, imo.

Schlenkerla makes a smoke beer that's fucking delicious.
They only make smoked beers. That's all they do.

Yeah, I almost never saw it in America, and even in Japan it's not sold at every convenience store/grocery store. Before I moved here I'd always drop like 8 bucks for the 500 mL big can of Sapporo when I went out for dinner at P.F. Chang's.
Sapporo cans are in most convenience stores here. It's not rare at all. There are even two varieties sometimes.

Sapporo cans are in most convenience stores here. It's not rare at all. There are even two varieties sometimes.

Obviously this depends on where you live. Good luck finding it a convenience store in Pennsylvania (you won't).

Stores that have a good selection of *cold* beer are a rariety. You can find a lot of good stuff at the beer distributors, but you'd better be prepared to buy a case.