Beer

uhh not really. there are some small brewpubs, but nothing really that outstanding. the closest one I know of is The Bruery in Fullerton. they make pretty good stuff

yeah it is. both physically and metaphorically (I suppose). our infrastructure has gone to shit (hooray for the san andreas fault!) and our political leaders with a few exceptions are just totally inept, but that seems to be the norm

so whatever

Picked up a variety pack of Goose Island brews at the grocery store today; had the oatmeal stout with dinner. Pretty good, very tasty; but not the best oatmeal stout I've tried.

beers had this weekend:

86585.jpg

The Bruery's "Black Orchard". this is the bruery's take on the belgian style of witbier. reminded me of a double. poured out a deep dark color. tasted nice and spicey and yeasty. good god did it have a big head though. just loads of foam. enjoyable. I'd drink it again

110401.jpg

saw this on tap at the bar, passed it up, saw it at the grocery store and bought it. bartender sums it up, "I know most people think Karl Strauss? And they just think of Red Trolley ale and whatever, but this actually is beer snob stuff." And he was right. it's supposed to be a double IPA, ranking in at 90 IBUs, but it doesn't seem like it to me. It's really well balanced with a good dosing of malt. It's not super piney and bitter like other double IPAs or Imperial IPAs. good stuff

full-sail-session-lager.jpg

as the name implies, this is a very sessionable beer. better than macro brews but not too different. this would be a good party beer if you want to maintain some integrity until people start assuming it's red stripe because of the bottle shape

oh and Sierra Nevada Bigfoot 2010...yeah it still kicks ass and is probably the most drinkable barleywine on the market. love it

That looks interesting, I've never been a huge fan of Guiness myself. I personally prefer Kilkenny.

Over here, there's a beer pour called a Toohey's Mid Life Crisis. They pour Toohey's New lager with Toohey's Old which is a dark ale. It's actually quite good.

Interesting. Too bad Blue Moon Grand Cru costs like $10 a bottle er something. I've seen it at BevMo several times but never picked it up. I wonder if it matters whether or not you use regular Blue Moon or their Grand Cru (or how traditional their grand cru is or are they just trying to sound special)?

also, people who put wedges of fruit in their beer annoy the shit out of me

I find putting slices of lemon or lime in Coronas pretentious, the reason that was initially done was to keep the flies away in Mexico, there's no good reason to do it here in Australia.

Unfortunately I work as a bartender, so I have to keep my opinions to myself. Haha...

2 best craft breweries imo are the Delirium and Rogue

Try the Delirium tremens and the Rogue mocha porter

Also six point brewery (Brooklyn) makes excellent ale and stout

Just grabbed a 6 pack of Sam Adam's seasonal Noble Pils, can't fucking have one since I can't drink and work(fuckng army!) but it sounds tasty and that sounds like a perfect refreshment tomorrow after this shit

my buddy had a noble pils last night at the bar and I had a sip...it was alright

I had Allagash's Curieux, a bourbon barrel aged Tripple...it was pretty darn good. I have to agree with all of the reviews on Beeradvocate that for being 11%abv, this is an extremely drinkable beer. It tasted great and had this little kick that would hit you at the end of every sip. It was very enjoyable.

I've wanted to try it, but it's something like $16 for a 750.

Last night I had a few of Anchor's Humming Ale. It's not like Anchor is putting out a new beer every few months, so I was excited. It was a very refreshing pale ale with Nelson Sauvin hops. I liked it a lot. Then I capped the night with a Bourbon County Stout. Probably in my top two or three favorite beers ever.

um drinkin' beer!! :loco:

I picked up a Sam Adams variety pack this evening and am currently on my second of the 12. Started with the Boston Lager which was I guess too hoppy for me because it evoked that 'nasty cheap beer' sensation, but the texture was really nice. Now drinking the Cream Stout, which I would say has a great taste if it didn't seem so 'burnt', but the milky/creaminess is pretty nice.