Beer

Tonight I had brewdog's Hardcore IPA...an imperial IPA that was really solid. It wasn't overpowering. It was a nice balance of hops and malt. I would definitely drink it again. Another outstanding beer from brewdog

Went to 3 Floyds Brewery/Brewpub in Munster Indiana last week. Had a few 23 oz glasses of their "Drunk Monk". Hands down the BEST Hefeweizen i've ever tasted. I'll definitely be going back there again.

recently had Lagunitas's Maximus. It was enjoyable. I have a six pack of it (I really wish Lagunitas made bombers). It's a bit maltier for an IPA of higher content, but still delicious.

also bought Deschutes Brewery's 2010 Once in a Decade ale...I'm pretty stoked to try that one

Many of Lagunitas' beers are in bombers. I could have sworn Maximus was. Perhaps used to be. I think they're not one of the better craft brewers. I find their house character to be too strong to the point where most of their ales taste like mild recipe tweaks.

Drinking a growler of Half Acre's Daisy Cutter tonight. This is the beer that will take over the world when the distribution kicks up. I believe the canning line is to start soon.

Beer Works in my city has a cool selection of March beers, which should be ending now...when I was there last I had a cream stout which was pretty fucking awesome, and a nut brown ale...also good, but not quite up to the standards set by that first (recommended) cream stout. I forget the actual names of both...kind of a noob to this, but I'm really digging a lot of the dark beers I'm trying on tap at places. Also became a quick fan of Kirin Ichiban for drinkable, bottled beer that isn't generic bullshit.

I do have one, but I don't know my way around the site too well and haven't spend a lot of time there. I definitely want to, though. "ichorNet" is my user name.

BeerAdvocate rules, but their rating system is a fucken joke. How "Look" should have any bearing on the enjoyability of a beer is beyond me.

It matters. I think it should be ten percent of the score rather than twenty, though. It's there in the first place because the ratings are an outgrowth of competitions, where nailing the appearance of the style is a significant factor in medaling in a style. I would not approve of a scoring that didn't consider appearance at all.

That honestly makes no sense to me whatsoever. I can't imagine being 'turned off' by how a beer looks short of there being strange booger-like blobs floating in the midst of it. I usually just drink it out of a bottle anyway.

Seriously, how the hell could anyone care?

Drinking out of bottles is a pretty poor approach too. It's seriously frowned upon. You're not releasing the aromatics and carbonation if you drink from the bottle.

Yes, sometimes there are beers with yeasty floaties, and that is a turn off. When a beer does not look to style, that's reason to subtract points. Some beers, Duvel for one, look glorious in their proper glassware, and that enhances the experience. You'd be crazy to drink that beer from the bottle. Also, head formation and retention are a factor in appearance, and a beer with a full and lasting head is likely carry far more fragrance.

To rate a beer according to its "looks" is to renounce one's masculinity

No, I really don't see what that is based on. It's undeniable that beers do not all look the same, and some beers look better than others, and that this is to be considered when evaluating beers. It's not a primary factor, but it is a factor.

Yeah, but I think it only matters if you care about that, unlike the taste. Of course it isn't primary, though.

Currently drinking a Sam Adams Scotch Ale...from the Bremasters Collection. I dig it, but it's not my favorite of the bunch.

Many of Lagunitas' beers are in bombers. I could have sworn Maximus was. Perhaps used to be. I think they're not one of the better craft brewers. I find their house character to be too strong to the point where most of their ales taste like mild recipe tweaks.

they're decent. I haven't really been impressed with any of their brews yet except for Hop Stoopid.

had a fucking excellent beer the other night at the bar: Gouden Carolus Easter. Belgian Strong Dark Ale, very similar to Maredsous 8 but better...more drinkable. Really crazy since it's 10%abv. Good spices and yeasts. Did I mention it was really drinkable? It could be dangerous.

Also had Karl Strauss's Pintail Pale Ale. Nothing spectacular, but it was enjoyable

I had the Carolus Easter ale. Really interesting. To me it kind of encompassed so much about Easter sweets, especially marshmallow. I remember nursing mine for quite a while, but it was really good. Hard to think of a comparable beer.

so the bar I always go to is having their second annual IPA festival this month. Here's the (godly) line up:

1. Russian River Pliny the Younger
2. Russian River Pliny the Elder
3. Shipyard XXXX IPA
4. Shmaltz Bittersweet Lenny’s Rye IPA
5. Avery Maharaja 2009
6. Port 2nd Anniversary
7. Deschutes Hope Henge
8. Sierra Nevada Handful of Hops
9. Speakeasy Double Daddy
10. Avery DuGana IPA
11. Bruery Mischief
12. Port Mongo IPA
13. Firestone Double Jack (2)
14. Alesmith Yulesmith
15. Mission Ship Wrecked
16. Coronado Idiot IPA
17. Anderson Valley Imperial IPA
18. Stone 13th Anniversary
19. Sierra Nevada Hoptinum
20. Moylan’s Hopsickle
21. Green Flash Imperial IPA
22. Flying Dog Double Dog IIPA
23. Abita Double IPA
24. Bottlegger’s Knuckle Sandwich
25. Drake’s Denoginnizer (GABF Silver IIPA)
26. Dogfish Head Aprihop
27. Urthel Hop It!
28. Deschutes Hop Trip
29. Avery Maharaja (2010)
30. New Belgium Ranger IPA
31. Stone Ruination
32. Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA
33. Marin Brass Knuckle
34. Ballast Point Dorado DIPA
35. Ballast Point Sculpin IPA (GABF Silver IPA)
36. Firestone Union Jack (GABF Gold IPA)
37. Eagle Rock Red Velvet
38. Ballast Point Tongue Buckler
39. Lost Continent Oak-Aged Continental IPA
40. Flying Dog Raging Bitch Belgian-style IPA
41. Karl Strauss Big Barrel Double IPA
42. Tustin Double Rye IPA
43. Taps Brewery & Fish House IPA
44. Mikkeller Single Hop (Warrior)
45. Mikkeller Single Hop (Chinook)
47. Russian River Blind Pig (GABF Bronze IPA)
Plus 5+ surprise IPAs and 3+ casks!

*drooool*