Beer

I got some Moose Drool this past weekend for the first time in a while. It's my favorite Brown Ale, but I haven't tried too many of them.

IMG_2780.jpg

Really? I have had it, it's drinkable with food, but not very good by itself imo.

I tried some Leinenkugel Classic Amber the other day. Not a very bold amber, but very drinkable.

So I tried my first IPA, Ranger by New Belgium. How the fuck do you guys drink this bitter shit? Had trouble finishing one bottle.

I also tried the New Belgium "Mothership WIT", an organic Heff. Not bad, but better with food than solo.

Start out with something a little more mainstream as far as IPA's go. That way you can ease your way into the better and more bitter IPA's out there.

yeah as far as IPAs go, it really doesn't get more mainstream than New Belgium except for maybe Karl Strauss. You may want to start with just Pale Ales and then move to IPAs. Stone Pale Ale, Deschute's Mirror Pond and Sierra Nevada are all great pale ales

I'm drinking the Sam Adams Latitude 48 IPA tonight. Not a fan of SA's hoppy beers other than the Hallertau Pilsner. This is a lot like the Noble Pils, but with more of an edge. I don't like how much lime presence there is. Too musty and herbal and not crisp enough. Reminds me of Ranger a bit, actually. Not at the front of the pack.

I tend to prefer double IPAs, since they are actually almost always less bitter due to all the extra malt. Green Flash West Coast IPA is probably my favorite standard IPA, but at 7.0%, even that is pushing the high end. Green Flash can do little wrong in my book. Goose Island IPA and Dogfish Head 60 and 90 Minute are pretty good common examples too. Hard to recommend beer, with regional availability issues. American barleywines are a pretty decent intro to hoppy beers too, I think. Lots of malt, but plenty of hops to appreciate. Sometimes I think pale ales can seem more bitter than they are due to very simple malt profiles. The two best pale ales I've had are Half Acre Daisy Cutter and Three Floyds Alpha King.

yeah as far as IPAs go, it really doesn't get more mainstream than New Belgium except for maybe Karl Strauss. You may want to start with just Pale Ales and then move to IPAs. Stone Pale Ale, Deschute's Mirror Pond and Sierra Nevada are all great pale ales

When I have the balls for it again (read: money I don't mind wasting on something I might not finish) I might try Sierra Nevada.

april2010leinsummer24pksampler%20copy.gif

The Leinenkugel Summer Sampler. I highly recommend it, unless you have something against beers on the sweeter side. These are all pretty much the anti pale ale lol.

Honey Weiss (Not as good as Henry Weinhard's variety but close as I have found available here)
Classic Amber
Summer Shandy (A more beer-y Mikes Hard Lemonade type)
Sunset Wheat

I've had Sea Dog Blueberry Ale...it's pretty easy to find out here. Not too shabby. The blueberries are definitely present. Zeph, you should find your way up to Allagash brewery, since I believe they are located in Maine and are one of the best breweries in the country

a couple of pics from my birthday beer tasting bonanza.
The lineup:

39660_644800872027_30605382_36666000_2173905_n.jpg

beers sampled throughout the night: Alesmith Wee Heavy scotch ale, Lindemann's Cuvee Rene gueze, Konigs Pilsner, Bootlegger's Black Phoenix, Paulaner Hefeweizen, Alaskan Barleywine, Rogue American Ale, Affligem Trappist Tripel, (Chimay Blue not pictured), Bear Republic XP pale ale/Anderson Valley pale ale, and Baltika #6 Porter

doing the first pour of the Alesmith Wee Heavy:
40629_644800936897_30605382_36666004_6620995_n.jpg

it was a ton of fun. Everybody was assigned a different style of beer so we could all try something from different areas and not have any repeats. Everybody had a blast and there were definitely some great brews (The Chocolate Chipotle stout and the paulaner hefeweizen probably got the best reactions)

I've had Sea Dog Blueberry Ale...it's pretty easy to find out here. Not too shabby. The blueberries are definitely present. Zeph, you should find your way up to Allagash brewery, since I believe they are located in Maine and are one of the best breweries in the country

a couple of pics from my birthday beer tasting bonanza.
The lineup:

39660_644800872027_30605382_36666000_2173905_n.jpg

beers sampled throughout the night: Alesmith Wee Heavy scotch ale, Lindemann's Cuvee Rene gueze, Konigs Pilsner, Bootlegger's Black Phoenix, Paulaner Hefeweizen, Alaskan Barleywine, Rogue American Ale, Affligem Trappist Tripel, (Chimay Blue not pictured), Bear Republic XP pale ale/Anderson Valley pale ale, and Baltika #6 Porter

doing the first pour of the Alesmith Wee Heavy:
40629_644800936897_30605382_36666004_6620995_n.jpg

it was a ton of fun. Everybody was assigned a different style of beer so we could all try something from different areas and not have any repeats. Everybody had a blast and there were definitely some great brews (The Chocolate Chipotle stout and the paulaner hefeweizen probably got the best reactions)

I love that Hefe Weizen and the Salvator.

I'm drinking the Sam Adams Latitude 48 IPA tonight. Not a fan of SA's hoppy beers other than the Hallertau Pilsner. This is a lot like the Noble Pils, but with more of an edge. I don't like how much lime presence there is. Too musty and herbal and not crisp enough. Reminds me of Ranger a bit, actually. Not at the front of the pack.

I didn't mind this, but I've never had the Hallertau. I had both out of my friend's Sam Summer variety pack.

btw unknown; chocolate chipotle stout sounds fucking sweet!!

also re: IPAs, Harpoon's is my favorite from my very limited experience. Stone's Ruination is a runner-up, though the bomber I had was hard to finish; recommend a pint or less to anyone who wants to drink it in one sitting.