Beer

and btw...
chivas.jpg
FTW

Local pub stocks Theakston Old Peculier (yeah, its spelt like that...)
damn good stuff. anyone else had some?

also has spitfire, which is quite pleasant.

I'm sure anyone who drinks beer must have had both of them at some point. Had a load of Tsingtao last night because it was on offer, kinda flavorless. Also tried Weihenstephan (very light/hoppy taste) Bohemian Black Lager (tasted like charcoal :err: ) and some 10% Czech lager for which I can't remember the name but it was okay. Got a load of Fraoch too because, well... Scotland ftw.

What's actually pretty good and affordable is Jim Beam Black. A big improvement over the white label JB.

I need to try more bourbons, but one of the best value bourbons I've had is Buffalo Trace. Exceptionally smooth for a $20-25 bourbon. Very balanced profile between oak, vanilla, rye, and a hint of minty sweetness. Easy to sip neat. Not sure how available this is in other parts of the country. I'm looking to try some of the distillery's older expressions, some of which are fairly affordable at under $40.

A good starter single malt Scotch would probably be either Glenlivet 12 or Glenfiddich 12, since they are cheap (~$30) and easy to find. It might be better for someone new to Scotch to try a few glasses at a bar to see which brands you prefer.

lmao @ champagne taste on a beer budget.

Well, the Van Winkles are kind of hard to find. Youll have to see if they are available in your state. But, the lowest ones are under $30 believe it or not!!!

The Woodford Reserve is around $35 for 750ml if I recall correctly.

As for single malts, Highland Park 12yr is $40, if you wanna try that out. It's got the malty sweetness but is balanced out with a light peaty smokiness.
No luck at the liquor store today. Asked the clerk about Van Winkles and she said check the internet. Where do i turn to now?