Beer

Yoda, try Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter or Nut Brown Ale and tell me what you think

My place of employement doesn't sell those, and being under 21, it's difficult to buy stuff from anyplace else.

Probably going to try out some Hobgoblin English Ale's next. Maybe some Bellhaven Stouts or something. We have some Founder's Outmeal Stout as well that I need to check out.

I would say ask your parents, but I don't know how keen they are on that. I guess I was spoiled growing up with a wine collecting mom. "Can you buy me this cool beer next time you're at bevmo?" "Sure!"

or there are always friends or people with fake IDs

My old beer can collection, majority of them are from the 60's and 70's

IMAG0083.jpg

IMAG0092.jpg

Thanks for the bump! Here are some copies of beer reviews I wrote on Facebook tonight. First tries on each of 'em:

Saranac Caramel Porter. Yay, random bottles of beer night #2. Pours good, a creamy beige head with a very dark body (it's a porter, duh). Smells exactly like the name suggests: caramel, caramel, caramel...sweet, dry malts and very little hop character...a mix which suits this beer well. I would compare this in sweetness and overall character to the Clown Shoes Pecan Pie Porter I reviewed a month or so ago, but it isn't quite as complex or rich; the flavor is bold and in-your-face but doesn't go anywhere with it that says anything else about it. This is a good desert beer but would get tiring to drink after a while. Still, I recommend it, because I love dark, dessert-y beers.

Shipyard Prelude Special Ale. Pouring a medium-dark, full-bodied Winter Warmer, Shipyard's special holiday ale lives up to the "special" in its name with a complex bunch of flavors ranging from slight fruits, probably of the candied variety, I'd assume, to chocolate and chestnuts/hazelnuts. The fruitiness blend in well with everything else going on, of which there is quite a bit. The scent is bitter but not in a "hop" sense, more of a dark chocolate sense, with some lingering nuttiness in the nose, and a bit of butterscotch or something similar, for good measure. Honestly, this is fucking delicious...it's probably even better than SA's Old Fezziwig, and that's saying a lot considering that was previously the best warmer I've had.

The biggest surprise with this beer, though, is the absolutely intense hit of flavor and alcohol that sneaks up on you after the first few sips (until you acclimate to the feeling, though it is still as tasty every other time); this doesn't happen until you actually finish the sip and it is BIG on the nutty, roasted malt flavor. At this point, the alcohol hits the palate and goes down smooth.

Win. A lot of win.

I have a Three Floyd's Black Sun Stout waiting for me.

Bellhaven's not bad. Nothing to get too excited about, but they're good.

How was the Three Floy'ds Stout Ein? I ventured to the Three Floyd's brewery with Belij last year and you HAVE to try their Drunk Monk hefeweizen, unbelievable brew. Unfortunately, Three Floyd's only serves Drunk Monk on tap. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Quality brewers all around though, regardless.

so the other day my buddy and I sampled the following:

162655_692096581047_30605382_37775682_5424500_n.jpg

Hair of the Dog "Doggie Claws", Hair of the Dog "Adam", Russian River "Damnation", Russian River "Temptation", Russian River "Supplication", & The Bruery Provisions "Old Richland"

We actually didn't get to Old Richland. Russian River's Temptation and Supplication were fucking unbelievable. Temptation is a sour ale aged for up to 9 months in Chardonnay barrels. Supplication is a sour aged in oak barrels with cherries for 12 to 15 months. So fucking good. Russian River can do no wrong.

Hair of the Dog Adam was interesting. Old Ale. Smokey, chewy, figgy. My buddy's girlfriend likened it to liquid dirt :lol: It was okay but could use some age. Doggie Claws is a barleywine that was pretty hoppy and had a HUGE head. I had to let it dribble out of the bottle lest it all go to waste in the foam. It was still good. Pretty hoppy for a barleywine. Traces of diacetyl but good nonetheless

How was the Three Floy'ds Stout Ein? I ventured to the Three Floyd's brewery with Belij last year and you HAVE to try their Drunk Monk hefeweizen, unbelievable brew. Unfortunately, Three Floyd's only serves Drunk Monk on tap. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Quality brewers all around though, regardless.

Haven't tried it yet. Saving it for Friday. :cool: I'll keep you posted though!

Pouring little glasses from my Rogue Chocolate Stout bomber. It's got a great color (the head looks like chocolate milk) but the carbonation feels like a little too much for this one, combined with the surprisingly thin body. I like the taste, though, definitely, and the smell is like bitter dark/baker's chocolate with some hoppiness.