Beers...

Agreed... Gouden Carolus is one hell of a pint. :kickass:
Amazed you've actually tried it.... It was our staple drink one year when we followed Y&T and then Yngwie through Europe for 2 months. Ahh, the memories...:loco:

You managed memories with this stuff?? WAHT!??! hehehe

yeah I love it.. it's my new fave...

In phoenix, I wish there was ANYONE interesting here. I haven't seen playoff hockey since 2003.

You guys do have a bit of a mess out there with the whole Courts n' Coyotes thing... WTF was Moyer thinking releasing info?? Anywho, for that reason alone, I will give you two swigs ;)

I came across another Belgian wheat recently named Allagash White. It's from a microbrewery out of Maine. It's a bit on the spicy side so more comparable to a Hoegaarden than a Blue Moon. It doesn't seem that easy to find though. Our nearby place doesn't have it but the place that carries around 1000 beers did along with some other varieties from Allagash.
I'd bring some but I'll be sticking to carry on only for my flight in.

Shreddy nailed some of my favorites in his post .... I'll also add Konig Ludwig, Paulaner, Erdinger, and Franziskaner. I like the weiss beers the best .. then the belgium wheats.

I just had some of that Alagash during a visit to Kuma's in Chicago ... very good.

Britt

Yep, not so big on the Belgian wheats myself, particularly those with the aftertaste of lemon peel and other things that make it taste like you just sucked on some potpourri. I actually like belgian golden ales better or a dark like Gulden Draak.

If you want a strong Weißbier, Weihenstephaner Vitus is hands-down the best IMO.

Do any of you know the laws about bringing beer on an airplane? do I have to check baggage with bottles in it? Because I'm serioulsy considering bringing some microbrews.

You should check tsa.gov to be certain, but I'm pretty sure you can't bring anything like that on a plan as a carry-on. The only exception would be for items purchased in the airport, at stores that are past security (obviously you can't check that).

You have to check alcohol. It'd fall under the 3.4 oz max that liquid does.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1189.shtm

With the exception of medications, any amount of liquid including alcohol greater than three ounces must be packed in your checked baggage.

Liquids, including alcohol purchased after clearing the security checkpoint are permitted aboard aircraft.

Carrying Alcohol In Your Checked Baggage

Please note, you can’t take alcoholic beverages with more than 70% alcohol content (140 proof), including 95% grain alcohol and 150 proof rum, in your checked luggage.

You may take up to five liters of alcohol with alcohol content between 24% and 70% per person as checked luggage if it’s packaged in a sealable bottle or flask.

Alcoholic beverages with less than 24% alcohol content are not subject to hazardous materials regulations.

Ditto.

Mater of fact I plan to hit a few beer places while in Atlanta during the day. A trip to the Vortex is a must everytime I go to Atlanta. I also am most likely going back to this place which I quite enjoyed!

http://www.brickstorepub.com

Hey man, how far from Center Stage is this place? It sure sounds like a great spot to hit, but in checking out the website it says Decatur, GA. Is that a pretty long haul?

Britt

Brick Store is by far the best pub in the entire greater Atlanta area, in my humble opinion. They actually have Reißdorf Kölsch on tap. They also have fan-fucking-tastic food. You cannot go wrong there.

Unfortunately its out in Decatur, which is a jaunt down I-20.

All of you guys who are into ciders need to get a hold of some scrumpy, which is difficult to find in the states. The Whole Foods by me carries one kind, and i'll be damned if I can remember the name of it...but its a domestic from somewhere up north. Scrumpy is an english term for ciders that are generally unfiltered and stronger. You've not had a cider until you've had some scrumpy.

How does it compare to Original Sin? I've never had cider before but I had some of that this weekend at a new Irish bar and it was one of the most disgusting things I've ever tasted. It was what I imagine apple juice that had gone bad to taste like.

How does it compare to Original Sin? I've never had cider before but I had some of that this weekend at a new Irish bar and it was one of the most disgusting things I've ever tasted. It was what I imagine apple juice that had gone bad to taste like.

Not sure as i've never had Original Sin, but a good scrumpy is like the most natural tasting cider you could have. I mean, basically it is sort of apple juice gone bad, in a manner of speaking, but unless you're generally averse to alcohol that isn't the impression you should take away from a good cider. The problem with most ciders is that they are either totally or in part made from concentrates in order to cut costs. Most american ciders are far too sweet, or their alcohol content is far too apparent in the taste (and sometimes both!). If you can't find a scrumpy, the only other cider I have had recently that I thought was decent was Samuel Smith's Organic Cider. I could be crazy, but I detect some concentrate content to that one, but its still a good, balanced, refreshing cider.

The other thing I would recommend is a good German Apfelwein.

I will be road tripping down.. if it's impossible for some to bring beer with them, if I can get my hands on it I can pick up a couple bottles for ya and you can pay me in Atlanta.

I know it's probably not all that convienent that I'll be staying at the Inn at the Peachtrees, but the offer's there for those that aren't able to transport..