best death metal-albums!!!

Jrgen said:
Those who say Swedish death metal is just about melody can't have looked far beyond MTV. Just listen to great bands like Deranged, Visceral Bleeding, Aeon, Anata, Bloodbath, Insision, Killaman, Murder Corporation, Soils of Fate, Sordid, Stabwound, Vomitory and Spawn of Possession.

theres still lots of melody in bloodbath and it doesnt hurt them one bit. the band is a good example of how i think death should sound. and the vocals destroy all those bands with the brutal deep vocals that you cant even decipher.

Metal head87 said:
I guess I disagree with a lot of you then. Chuck is my favorite death metal vocalist. I loved how he was able to go from the shouty growls of his earlier days to the more melodic, high pitched vocals. It's not like he sounded like Dani Filth or something. I think he was more like Mille Petrozza.

i dont think he sounds like mille but i love his latter day vocals. sounds like a more extreme version of painkiller era halford. i wish the earlier albums utilized them because i think that he had some of the best vocals of that type. could he pull it off live though?

fat bastard said:
i dont think he sounds like mille but i love his latter day vocals. sounds like a more extreme version of painkiller era halford. i wish the earlier albums utilized them because i think that he had some of the best vocals of that type. could he pull it off live though?

Funny you should say that, because the special edition of TSP has a hidden cover of "Painkiller". It's really quite good, though the solos were changed around a bit.

Yes, he could pull it off live. He did a great job of it, too.

fat bastard said:
theres still lots of melody in bloodbath and it doesnt hurt them one bit. the band is a good example of how i think death should sound. and the vocals destroy all those bands with the brutal deep vocals that you cant even decipher.

Hmm, I disagree

I tried very hard to like Bloodbath's newest album because it was very highly recommended to me by Zephyrus, but it just bored me. The vocals I thought were average, and a lot worse than Tagtgren's vocals with Hypocrisy, who I like very much.

I actually liked Tagtgrens vocals on nightmares made flesh. His vocals sounded more lower than in hypcrisy. Hypocrisy's melodes are second rate and their old albums are generic. can't stand them

The riffs and production job on Nightmares Made Flesh is pretty much mindblowing. Only oldschoolers can make newer death metal sound good like this.

fat bastard said:
I didn't mean it was LIKE Mille. I meant that is was more like Mille in that it was kind of that higher pitched shrieking, instead of that Dani Fag sound.

Nightmares Made Flesh is a brilliant album. A lot better than Ressurection Through Carnage. And I'm not that interested in lyrics, so it's not a big deal for me if I can decipher what is sung or not. If they have something to say, they can write a book.

Jrgen said:
Nightmares Made Flesh is a brilliant album. A lot better than Ressurection Through Carnage. And I'm not that interested in lyrics, so it's not a big deal for me if I can decipher what is sung or not. If they have something to say, they can write a book.

if i cant really make out much of what a vocalist is saying then it just starts to sound like useless noise to me and cuts a songs effectiveness down. the most intense and ferocious vocals ever dont make up for a lack of clarity. i can shriek a bunch of useless garbage anytime i want but i dont start calling it music. on the other side of things i dont always get what song lyrics are about unless i sit down with the lyric sheet so as long as the phrasing or melody behind the vocals are good i can deal without knowing a songs meaning.

For me, and many others i would think, vocals such as in brutal death metal bands is seen by me as just another instrument, not the vocalising of lyrics.

The Sound of Perseverance is a very unique album, as is Control Denied - The fragile art of existance.

Theres nothing you can really compare both too, is there?

Perseverance is definetly death metal, with what ever additional genre bullshit you want or can add it to it. The vocals suit the album, they are different like the music as Chuck progressed and changed every album, for the better, because he wasn't content with using the same format just to please fans or what ever, he wanted to "persevere". It's not my favourite Death album but i am damn glad it exists, i can't see why half of you bitch about it's existance so much. (who ever said Painkiller was a secret song or whatever... it's on every album as a normal cover song isn't it.... not some "secret")

The Fragile Art didn't seem like much to me when i first heard it and i didn't like the vocals much, but now i can hear all its greatness. When you do finally understand it for what it's worth, not only do you find Chucks great guitarwork as usual, but some great bass and drum work that i can't really compare with anything. I'm not saying it's the greatest most technicle stuff ever, it's just very unique and well done. And the singing grows on you up to the point that you cannot help but singing along.

RIP Chuck :worship: :headbang:

Leiland said:
For me, and many others i would think, vocals such as in brutal death metal bands is seen by me as just another instrument, not the vocalising of lyrics.
This is the truth. The lyrics aren't the point for brutal death, it's the sound and intensity of the vocals.

The Greys said:
I actually liked Tagtgrens vocals on nightmares made flesh. His vocals sounded more lower than in hypcrisy. Hypocrisy's melodes are second rate and their old albums are generic. can't stand them

The riffs and production job on Nightmares Made Flesh is pretty much mindblowing. Only oldschoolers can make newer death metal sound good like this.

Production was definitely good and I can see why people would love the album, it just wasn't for me. Hypocrisy is really the only melodic death metal I like, so there must be something different they are doing that makes you dislike them and me like them a lot. I especially like Tagtgren's vocals on Abducted and the Final Chapter.

Leiland said:
The Sound of Perseverance is a very unique album, as is Control Denied - The fragile art of existance.

Theres nothing you can really compare both too, is there?

Perseverance is definetly death metal, with what ever additional genre bullshit you want or can add it to it. The vocals suit the album, they are different like the music as Chuck progressed and changed every album, for the better, because he wasn't content with using the same format just to please fans or what ever, he wanted to "persevere". It's not my favourite Death album but i am damn glad it exists, i can't see why half of you bitch about it's existance so much. (who ever said Painkiller was a secret song or whatever... it's on every album as a normal cover song isn't it.... not some "secret")

The Fragile Art didn't seem like much to me when i first heard it and i didn't like the vocals much, but now i can hear all its greatness. When you do finally understand it for what it's worth, not only do you find Chucks great guitarwork as usual, but some great bass and drum work that i can't really compare with anything. I'm not saying it's the greatest most technicle stuff ever, it's just very unique and well done. And the singing grows on you up to the point that you cannot help but singing along.

RIP Chuck :worship: :headbang:

Perseverance is a classic and stands up well to any other Death release.

Oldschool death metal is a lot more weird evil and sinister to my ears. The songs are written better actually putting across an atmosphere and picture of what the band is trying to get across. This entire aspect of death metal died after a certain time. You have bands now that are just brutal in a typical way or just technical without being alittle memorable. Old death metal actually sounds unorthodox and creepy.

Cookiecutter i'm going to have a present for you in a bit so don't go anywhere. I know how you like brutal death metal metal!

Here are three songs from Wombbath -internal caustic torment' from 1993. Brutal death metal from Sweden. Disgusting death metal is not just a late 90's american thing. This seems like something you would enjoy so I hope you listen to it. This is more twisted than american bands imo.

Wombbath 'internal caustic torments' 1993

Track

1. prevent anemia

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=D31E55695EF73FD0

2. intestinal bleeding

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=3CE8AF9B3EE10C77

7. beyond the gloomy

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=BFE21DC43DEB7F52

The Greys said:
Oldschool death metal is a lot more weird evil and sinister to my ears. The songs are written better actually putting across an atmosphere and picture of what the band is trying to get across. This entire aspect of death metal died after a certain time. You have bands now that are just brutal in a typical way or just technical without being alittle memorable. Old death metal actually sounds unorthodox and creepy.

That's because in those days, death metal wasn't widely accepted by a solid audience and was more of a cult thing, so the older bands had more of an artistic vision. Not to say that later bands didn't/don't, but back then, bands didn't have a blueprint to follow, so they instead followed their own desires. That's also the reason old school black metal tends to be more intense and satisfying than the newer BM bands, imo anyway.