- eternal tears of sorrow
- soilwork
- callenish circle
- septic flesh
- at the gates
- rapture

and i'm sure i'm forgetting lots.

rahvin.

Depends on which bands you define as melodic metal.
But here are my favs:
Dark Tranquillity
Children of Bodom
Callenish Circle
Opeth
Shadows Fall
At The Gates
In Flames before they went all hip, cool and rappy

Hell yes. Eucharist are excellent. Dark Tranquillity, At The Gates and In Flames are obvious choices. Also, try these (they aren't all PURE melodic death metal):

A Canorous Quintet
Ablaze my Sorrow (not their debut)
Amon Amarth
Arch Enemy
Arsis
Burden of Grief
Callenish Circle
Children of Bodom
Compos Mentis
Cromlech
Darkane
Daylight Dies
Decadawn
Detonation
Dispatched
Divine Souls
Duskfall
Ebony Tears
Edge of Sanity
Enter My Silence
Eternal Oath
Eternal Tears of Sorrow
Eucharist
Excess of Cruelty
Fatal Embrace
Gandalf
Gardenian
Graveworm
Guidance of Sin
Hypocrisy
Infernal Method
Mercenary
Mord Principium Est
Nightshade
Non Exist
Norther
October Tide
Omnium Gatherum
Pandemonium
Rapture
Sacrilege
Skyfire
Soilwork
Unanimated

There's plenty more, but BAH.

Reactions: Tranquil Chaos
Ablaze my Sorrow (not their debut)
HEHEHE. Oh my, the suckage levels for that record are just intolerable. Whoever signed them to record that must've been insane.

My favourite melodic death metal bands include Dismember, Edge of Sanity, At the Gates and Eucharist... He he.

The first is rather good too but I can rarely listen to the whole thing straight through as all the songs are pretty much the same although the first track "At Dawn/Whispering Shadows" really stands out. Wouldn't call it death metal.

Unanimated's "In the Forest of the Dreaming Dead" and "Ancient God of Evil" are indeed very good albums, IMHO - but didn't they have one album recorded between those two? It had a green cover, if I'm not completely mistaken... I don't own that one, but am definitely looking for it. Is that the 2nd album Q is talking about?

In addition to UA, my favorites include:

Dark Tranquillity
Opeth
Edge of Sanity
In Flames
At the Gates
Carcass
Soilwork

Plus some others I can't recall right now.

-Villain

phyre said:
My favourite melodic death metal bands include Dismember, Edge of Sanity, At the Gates and Eucharist... He he.

Dismember are not melodic, unless you happen to like only their worst album, Massive Killing Capacity...

Thanatos said:
Dismember are not melodic, unless you happen to like only their worst album, Massive Killing Capacity...
HEHE.

Dismember ARE melodic death metal. Listen to basically anything they've ever done. They've got melodic solos and everything. Listen to "Silent Are The Watchers", "Of Fire", "Dreaming In Red", "Retaliate" or whatever and try to tell me Dismember are not melodic death metal. Dismember IS melodic death metal, as opposed to i.e. brutal US-style DM, In Flames and co. are NOT. I will admit that the first couple of albums are not as melodic as the later stuff, excluding "Massive...", but as far as death metal goes, Dismember are WAY on the melodic side of things.

And FYI, I have "Like An Ever Flowing Stream", "Pieces", "Indecent And Obscene" and "Death Metal".