Best Melodic Death Metal Bands??

Who might have known?? They all told me there's a long snap to zero just go ooooon...
So yes they know! Of all my lies alright there's a long snap to zero coming alooooooong!!!
*bun bun bun bun pee'bee'p....bub bun bun bun dee'det...*

I can't believe I never saw them live :'(

There's Rotting Christ, they are very melodic in a "rock" way. but they are Black Metal anyway... plus, they're greek (lol)

Dissection are too black metal to be death, and too death metal to be black.... but there are some things in Dark Tranquillity, Children of Bodom etc. that first came influenced by Dissection

krigsbarn said:
There's Rotting Christ, they are very melodic in a "rock" way. but they are Black Metal anyway... plus, they're greek (lol)
It's quite funny to see people from abroad liking Rotting Christ a lot, and at the same time everybody here dissing them. Must be tr00 to diss them here i guess.

@Siren: Rotting Christ is by far my very favorite band. They can sound evil or just rock&roll, I don't know their secret but they'll always sound more black metal than all those ear-tearing newbies touring these days.

Life Sucks said:
IMO Dissection are a mixture of Gothenburg melodic death metal and black metal. I think that the music is more melodic death metal than black metal.

Yeah, but that's if you're in favor to consider music mostly as guitar riffs. If we go on that way, Khold is just punk music with a dirtier amp sound. Dissection does rank itself as a very sophisticated black metal band.

It's really complicated to rank bands, it sounds gay to label for most people. THOUGH, metal is a real cultural chaos. That's why Dark Tranquillity's Skydancer can also be ranked as a progressive sophisticated black metal album rather than "melodic death metal"; also consider the year.

yeah but you forgot that thy doomsted throes ov thee mare angst rid all thoust sbackterzzzovvvvhuull

i know this thread is a little outdated and i'm repeating people but yeah...
Children of Bodom
Dark Tranquility
Eucharist

I find though that theres a fine line between being too melodic and not death enough and vice versa, i feel as if insomnium, even though they're a good band, sometimes get too melodic, although the very death vocals can sometimes make up a little, but the music matters too

all the favorites have been said already, except one new Melodic Death band that has the potential to be one of the best...

NIGHTRAGE, featuring Tomas Lindberg, Tom Englund, Per from The Haunted, Gus G. from DreamEvil, and a Greek dude.

www.nightrage.com

the album is CRUSHING.

I didn't realize how old this thread is until I read this post.

This was a pretty good prediction. I think that Sweet Vengenace was one of the most well crafted melodic death metal albums I've heard. Even though the other two weren't great, I still hold Nightrage highly for gracing my ears with such beauty.

A lot of the melodic death metal bands I listen to are technical as well. Hence my list not containing pure melodic death.

Arsis
Wintersun
Quo Vadis
Insomnium
Arch Enemy

Schaliach - Sonrise...(Norway 1995, epic and delicious)
Nightshade - Wield the Scythe
Nightrage - Sweet Vengeance
Mors Principium Est - Inhumanity
Eternal Tears Of Sorrow - A Virgin And A Whore
Gardenian - Soulburner
Edge Of Sanity - Spectral Sorrows (I'd consider them melodic death more than just regular swedish death metal. Just putting this album out there. Some people call them a regular Death Metal band with melody and that's fine too... I know those who don't understand the labelling would be like "What's the difference?! it's the same thing")

If a band attempts to get into melo-death chances are the vocals are pure ass with some cheesy rehashed melodic crap spewed thru the album. DT took music in their own original direction which is why they're good, instead of pursuiting a genre withing a genre.

That being said alot of the bands in this thread are great but there are alot of them who try too hard to fall into this category. Alot of people are so desperate for the sound they will listen to alot of garbage.

If a band attempts to get into melo-death chances are the vocals are pure ass with some cheesy rehashed melodic crap spewed thru the album. DT took music in their own original direction which is why they're good, instead of pursuiting a genre withing a genre.

That being said alot of the bands in this thread are great but there are alot of them who try too hard to fall into this category. Alot of people are so desperate for the sound they will listen to alot of garbage.

Good point :rolleyes: