Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Sepultura

• Slayer

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Kreator

• Total voters
Are Dark Tranquillity really that skilled? I mean ive got quite a few of their songs and once i come across some money their CDs will be getting friendly with my Opeth CDs, but i didnt hear anything that said to me "best band of all time"..

if someone could inform me of their greatness i would be appreciative!!

Originally posted by YaYoGakk
Are Dark Tranquillity really that skilled? I mean ive got quite a few of their songs and once i come across some money their CDs will be getting friendly with my Opeth CDs, but i didnt hear anything that said to me "best band of all time"..

As someone said earlier, this shouldn't be called "best metal bands ever" 'cause there a lot of great bands missing. But I don't wanna argue with that ;) So I just voted for DT 'cause it was the best from THAT list, it's not the best band ever for me.

Tintin almost named my top 7. But then again I really can't compare say Darkthrone with other bands since the music is so different and I love it for different reasons than say Death which is my choice and it is IMO the best metal band if you don't take Darkthrone into accout. Mayhem, Helloween, Bathory and Emperor also contend for that place but their newer stuff isn't that good.

One more comment -

I still believe Led Zeppelin were the pioneers into the metal genre. Thier music in the early 70's was without comparison. (I suppose this arguement would cause some to say Jimi Hendrix may be the 1st metaller).

So I guess I'll throw a side vote to Led Zeppelin. These other bands are at least good (the ones I know), but to be the greatest, you need a track record. Led Zep certainly has one, and their music still stands up against today's music.

Originally posted by Wolff

I think the correct term is bad metal. And you can't really compare 'Tallica's contributions to Katatonia. Different leagues.

ive always seen the metallica influence in 'Dance Of December Souls' but to say different leagues. :eek: :( :mad: need i use any more expressions. anyway i seem to of forgot what the title said, 'Best Metal Band Ever' not 'who's given the most to metal' Katatonia are my favourite metal band and i couldnt care less what they've given to metal, they've given a lot to me.

anyway i vote metallica :rolleyes: :p

Originally posted by YaYoGakk

Thay are truly amazing. Plus they pioneered the Gothenburg sound, of which you are so fond. No, DT are truly great.

What albums of theirs do you have?

Originally posted by metalmancpa
One more comment -

I still believe Led Zeppelin were the pioneers into the metal genre. Thier music in the early 70's was without comparison. (I suppose this arguement would cause some to say Jimi Hendrix may be the 1st metaller).

So I guess I'll throw a side vote to Led Zeppelin. These other bands are at least good (the ones I know), but to be the greatest, you need a track record. Led Zep certainly has one, and their music still stands up against today's music.

Led Zeppelin was a great band an probably better than any band on this list. They were also amazingly influential. However, to me, they sound like a hard rock/blues band. When it comes to defining "metal" as we know it today, Black Sabbath said it all, from my perceptions.

Zep's "Over the Hills and Far Away" is one of those songs that I often consider calling my favourite ever, and I've recently discovered a new love for "All of my Love". Gotta love Zeppelin...

I would have voted Katatonia as well.... I believe they're almost the best.

I was surprised to see Anathema but not Katatonia, to be honest. I voted Anathema anyway. And just to be even more annoying, I really think excluding Emperor was a bad idea. I think they're pretty much the kings.

But consider this another voice for Katatonia.

I'm glad to see that Metallica is winning the poll, since I just voted for them.
They are the first metal band I started listening to, (besides really old Van Halen which is probably just classic rock but still need to be mentioned) back when "And Justice for All" just came out, so they will always have a special place in my heart! :loco:
As far as all this bullshit about "Selling Out" that people are always talking about now-a-days, they are still good musicians and they have paid thier dues (being around for 20 years now) which is older than a lot of you that are posting here!! Furthurmore, a lot of you would "sell out" too, and make millions of dollars to get every materialistic item you've always wanted! especially while doing something like playing music!
Anyway, that's my story behind my vote :D :headbang:

Originally posted by _Transparent_

yeah but then again Metallica arent considered metal these days either...

Load/Reload aren't less metal than all Black Sabbath albums.. and I think you consider sabbath a metal band

and Brotherelf.. u rule :)

As far as all this bullshit about "Selling Out" that people are always talking about now-a-days, they are still good musicians and they have paid thier dues (being around for 20 years now) which is older than a lot of you that are posting here!! Furthurmore, a lot of you would "sell out" too, and make millions of dollars to get every materialistic item you've always wanted! especially while doing something like playing music!

Chuck Schuldiner player Almost since Metallica started with kill em all with mantas and had the same 20 years of experience and a thousand times more talent to sell out and become comercial, a musician is a musician until the day he dies, a sellout moneywhore is a sellout moneywhore until the day they die, Metallica did nothing but take advantage of the popularity the clubs and then ozzy gave them to become millionars because back then metal started to grow until it became glam and everyone had their eyes on it, they did just about what motley crue did and started the same, The catch is metallica couldnt take too many radical changes in the 80s because they did not have the reach to do so, they got the reach to do so after the black album and looking back their sellout was inevitable and well planed. It was never about music it was about and ambisious drummer and guitarplayer who got togheter to catch the babes and the cash and the beers and got a wuss guitar player to do nothing but blues solos and disponsable mediocre bass players.

You should know better

Originally posted by Mikael is God
people have to stop confusing classic rock with metal

Within rock music is the roots of metal : the problem is deciding when metal crossed the line and took on a life of its own.

Rock started as blues and boogies, blues started as african music by the slaves and then lowclass workers. So all metal comes from african music, Opeth is african music.

Please stop tracing roots back is laughable