Best metal Drummer

Mark Zonder. I've seen some complaints that his drumming is too AOR or something, I guess because he often uses electronic pads and doesn't hesitate to use shiny pretty percussion instruments on occasion, but I love it when prog drummers are more heavy on patterns and light on fills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsJNV26I3TY

But there are many others I love as well, including Dustin Donaldson (first two Thought Industry albums), Joey Daub (Believer, esp circa Dimensions), Rick Colaluca (Watchtower), Clive Burr (Killers has god-tier trad metal drumming), Brian Downey (great sense of how to shuffle and groove in a rock/metal context), Dave Browne (obscure pick; drummer on the first Taramis album and my single favorite old-school metal drum performance), and some others.

Yeah he's super tight, but Bill Ward took the subtlety and feel of jazz and blues drumming and made it work in a heavy metal context while inventing heavy metal at the same time. Recognize.

All around Gene Hoglan is the best. At least the best metal drummer. Other great and somewhat overlooked drummers are:

Van Williams: ex Nevermore
Daniel Liljekvist: ex Katatonia
Tomas Fredén: Beyond Twilight
Jarmo Pikka: Omnium Gatherum

Hey OP, I thought I would appreciate you going to a different forum to post your threads and then call yourself a retard after everyone tells you how dumb they are. Unfortunately, you've chosen a forum about classical music, where I go too, coincidentally. So it didn't really help in the end. :lol:

EDIT: Also I'm not specifically talking about this thread so don't plug in your butthurt generator machine just yet.

Hey OP, I thought I would appreciate you going to a different forum to post your threads and then call yourself a retard after everyone tells you how dumb they are. Unfortunately, you've chosen a forum about classical music, where I go too, coincidentally. So it didn't really help in the end. :lol:

EDIT: Also I'm not specifically talking about this thread so don't plug in your butthurt generator machine just yet.

ok

Nick Barker. Whether you like Cradle and Dimmu or not, dude has chops

Vitek wasn't as good as he's said to be post-mortem, but he was a machine on the kit for sure.

Flo Mounier and the gravity blast deserve props.

Daniel Liljekvist is a phenomenal drummer, less in a metal way, though.

Martin Lopez is a beast.

Gene Hoglan is easily a contender for best, along with Pete Sandoval.

Mike Smith, anyone?

Bill Ward is tight, yo.

Bill Ward
Flo Mounier
Varg Vikernes (just the feel. His drumming on Jesu dad is frantic as fuck)
Pete Sandoval
Dave Lombardo