Best of 2012...so far

...which is weird because I'm still trying to figure out if I even enjoy Given to the Rising. Neurosis = growth metal
Truth. Neurosis is one of those bands that has never truly clicked for me. Perhaps it's because I find their music difficult to focus on. Whenever I put their albums on, I find my mind wandering.

Truth. Neurosis is one of those bands that has never truly clicked for me. Perhaps it's because I find their music difficult to focus on. Whenever I put their albums on, I find my mind wandering.
I saw them live in 1996 and said "I don't really like this, but some day maybe I will." I think 9 years later I bought The Eye of Every Storm just for kicks, started to enjoy it, and then went back and starting checking out the other releases. Definitely one of my favoUrite bands, but it took over a decade to really get into them. Some of their stuff I like more than others, but each one requires a lot of concentration, of a wandering sort, if that makes any sense at all. And different releases tend to hit at different stages. A Sun That Never Sets was immediate, but Through Silver in Blood took years to get a grasp on. And now I think I'm finally at a point where I can start to love Times of Grace, because I've been spinning it for 7 years. We'll see.

You know, if I remember correctly, I bought said copy of The Eye of Every Storm from you. So thanks for the Neurosis, Zod! :loco:

So like most great music (for me at least), maybe somewhere in 2019 I'll recognize that Honor Found in Decay is the best album from 2012.

Just like in 2010 I realized that OM was the best album from 2006. And in 2005 when I found out that Bitches Brew is the best from 1970. Etc.

Then again I'm fucking tired of ranking and rating music. I love what I love and feel less and less inclined to quantify such emotions.

Perhaps I'm growing as a person in this new year of our load. Maybe I'm just mad at numbers. Who knows? The Shadow...

A lot of this is translating into "What I listened to most often" but whatever, here's what I've gotten most out of this year. Special nod to Ken for multiple finds here.

Napalm Death "Utilitarian"
Ash Borer - "Cold of Ages"
Black Breath "Sentenced to Life"
Blut Aus Nord - "Cosmosophy"
Goatwhore - "Blood For The Master"
High on Fire "De Vermis Mysteriis"
Mutilation Rites - "Empyrean"
Dragged Into Sunlight "Widowmaker"
Nachtmystium "Silencing Machine"
Ne Obliviscaris "The Portal of I"
Martyrdod "Paranoia"
Wodensthrone "Curse"